2008 CTS spare Tire issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, 2008 CTS spare Tire issues in General Discussion; I purchased a 2008 CTS from the dealer brand new, yet I never reliazed the car did not come with ...
    Peter18423 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

2008 CTS spare Tire issues

I purchased a 2008 CTS from the dealer brand new, yet I never reliazed the car did not come with a spare tire until my wife got stranded on the side of the freeway. Since there was no spare we had to have the car towed. Pump doesn't work with a 1" slash in the side wall. (BAD Idea Cadillac, Is the cost of can of filler and the pump really cheaper than providing an actual spare)? So now I need to purcahase a compact spare for this vehicle and have seen one on E-bay that fits a 02 thru 07, does anybody know if that same spare will fit a 2008 CTS. I guess I'll also need the jack. Oh by the way Cadillac most women wouldn't know how to use the pump and filler kit anyway.

Thanks for any words of wisdom I can get , I really don't need my wife stranded again on the side of the hiway.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 2008 CTS spare Tire issues

They figured lack of spare would increase OnStar subscriptions.

But a continuied lack of a spare will decrease sales of Cadillacs for sure.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Peter18423 View Post
    But a continuied lack of a spare will decrease sales of Cadillacs for sure.
    Spare tires are going the way of vent windows. Fix-a-flat and run flat tires save a lot of weight by eliminateing a heavy spare tire. That weight reduction improves gas mileage which is a huge priority now. Plus it improves braking, acceleration and handling which matters to some although probably not most Cadillac buyers. Mileage might also not be that important to those buyers but manufacturers are under pressure from govt imposed standards.

As for decreasing sales, unfortunately many buyers don't even know about it know until after they buy their first car without a spare.

Customers adding their own spares after the fact is not as bad a solution as it seems because that spare doesn't impact the official mileage of the car. Many people never have a sidewall failure in their life so the lack of a spare isn't likley to be a problem for them. Your wife was one of the unlucky ones.

Some manufacturers sell a kit that contains a spare and jack (and mounting hardware if possible) so owners don't have to track down all the parts.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    But to answer your question about the 03 to 07 CTS's spare tire. It won't fit because the first gen CTS has a 5 by 115 lug pattern while the second gen has 5 by 120 lug pattern.

KOT

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

The lack of spare tire is now a very hot topic of dispute in this forums. Some says they don't care and they understand why Cadillac dropped it, and some takes it as an insult and slap on face by Cadillac, that why their 50k car doesn't have a $100 spare! I am with the first group!

If you like to buy a spare tire, buy a new one, or if you want to buy used, buy a fairly new one. Here by new I refer to the age of the tire. You can find the manufacture date of a tire from DOT codes. The age is the last 4 digit of string of codes started by keyword DOT. For example, my last 4 digit is 0413. It means the fourth ("04") week of year 2013 "13". Do not buy old spare tires because rubber NATURALLY deteriorates with time.
    Cadillac Sevilles come with spare tires. Couple of members here had a flat tire, and they mounted their spare tire that was 10 years old. Needless to say, they had another flat tire just a few miles down the road.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I'm not a fan of run-flats. They are heavier and unsprung weight affects handling. The sidewalls are also optimized for ends other than handling, wear or ride.

Fix-a-flat is a pain to clean and most tire shops charge to clean wheels on which it's been used.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Run flats suck! great idea, have not seen a good execution.

Spare in my older hobby/collector car? A must!
    In my daily driver? Pass....

That is what I have road service coverage and a cell phone. Actually two cell phones by different carriers.

Many people never have a sidewall failure in their life so the lack of a spare isn't likley to be a problem for them. Your wife was one of the unlucky ones.

Some manufacturers sell a kit that contains a spare and jack (and mounting hardware if possible) so owners don't have to track down all the parts.[/QUOTE]

Yet even if you have a slow leak while driving on a freeway by the time you can pull over and find a save place to stop too work on your flat, the tire will be ruined and fix a flat and the pump will be useless. I still think that Cadillac has slapped the American consumer in the face by not providing a spare (and I do understand the fuel and handling issue) but let that be the consumers choose. But it becomes an even bigger slap in the face because it seems the salesperson never wants to disclose this critical info to the prosective buyer. If while during the purchase of the car I had been informed that the car had no spare and that I could purchase a kit, then while negotiating the purchasing the car I would have at least had the option of adding a spare to the purchase.
    orconn likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Peter18423 View Post
    Many people never have a sidewall failure in their life so the lack of a spare isn't likley to be a problem for them. Your wife was one of the unlucky ones.

Some manufacturers sell a kit that contains a spare and jack (and mounting hardware if possible) so owners don't have to track down all the parts.
    Yet even if you have a slow leak while driving on a freeway by the time you can pull over and find a save place to stop too work on your flat, the tire will be ruined and fix a flat and the pump will be useless. I still think that Cadillac has slapped the American consumer in the face by not providing a spare (and I do understand the fuel and handling issue) but let that be the consumers choose. But it becomes an even bigger slap in the face because it seems the salesperson never wants to disclose this critical info to the prosective buyer. If while during the purchase of the car I had been informed that the car had no spare and that I could purchase a kit, then while negotiating the purchasing the car I would have at least had the option of adding a spare to the purchase.
    I agree that lots of sales people don't do a good job explaining things and curiously more so the things that buyers might not like hearing.

Tire pressure monitoring is a must for cars that rely on stop-leak and a pump for flat tires AND for cars with run flat tires to keep owners from driving on oblivious to a puncture. The system needs to give enough warning of slow leaks to let the driver take action before the tire is destroyed.

I hope your car has a good place to stash the spare you buy and a convenient way to secure a jack and wrench.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    TPMS + tire repair kit + portable compressor + modern tires = almost zero issue for me.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Last time I got a flat, a 1.5" steel pipe went through the sidewall. Fix-A-Flat was not an option .

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Last time I got a flat, a 1.5" steel pipe went through the sidewall. Fix-A-Flat was not an option .
    1.5 million miles and I've never had that happen.
    talismandave likes this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Last flat I had was four roofing nails in the tire. Glad that I had a floor jack and a full size spare

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

^ I work at Polaris and we developed these for our military units (we bought a company who was working on it). They will operate safely with 40% of the tire damaged. I know people are and have been developing these for cars. We'll see what the future brings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.