Cadillac Owners Forum banner

"So your girlfriend rolls a Honda, playin' workout tapes by Fonda"

9K views 68 replies 20 participants last post by  I~LUV~Caddys8792 
#1 ·
But Fonda ain't got a motor in the back of her Honda... :D

I went and leased a 2013 Accord LX Sedan last night. I got hooked up with a sweet deal at work, got it for well under invoice, was given a good amount for my trade (way more than a friend offered) and got window tint thrown in for cost. Ahh, the joys of working at a large Honda dealer!

I needed a more reliable mode of daily transportation than my LeSabre. In the last three months, it spent significant time off the road, in the shop, getting miscellaneous crap fixed. It was constantly one thing after another, which wouldn't be a big deal if I LOVED the car or if I was mechanically inclined, but I'm not. It sucks spending your day off at the mechanic, explaining again what it's doing. No bueno. Also constantly putting money into a car worth $1000 on a good day was not a wise investment.

Since I started at Brookdale Honda last month, I've really been eyeing up the all new 2013 Accords. They've gone from a design that was ugly and stale to one that was classy and fresh. It's more powerful, more fuel efficient and quicker. I was always driving our demo Accord LX, as well as a Civic EX, to see which I liked more. I always leaned towards the Accord LX, but would go to the Civic EX if the payment was much lower, but it wasn't significantly different AND the insurance was higher on the Civic.

So last night, I decided to pull the trigger on an Accord LX Sedan, in the super classy, rich looking Basque Red Pearl II with the ivory (wheat) cloth interior. Since the Ivory interior was a must have for me (as opposed to the claustrophobic all black interior or the sterile grey interior), it's only offered in a few exterior colors (Champagne, Pearl White, Black and Basque Red) black is too common and impossible to keep clean, champagne is an old man's color, pearl white would be OK if I had to, but Basque Red is my color of choice. This is the 3rd maroon car I've owned....I'm a huge fan of red cars!

I'm very happy to lease an Accord!

1) The Accord has won many awards in it's lifetime, biggest of which being Car and Driver's "10 best" award, received 24 of the last 28 years. The 2013 Accord was also voted one of the 10 best cars sold in America by Automobile Magazine.
2) Leasing is easy. The only things I have to budget for are the payments and gas! No surprises, no headaches! Just a modest once monthly bill that's easy to plan for! Plus, I can buy out the Accord at the end of the lease if I want to.
3) Is there anything MORE reliable than a new Honda?
4) 27/36 MPG!
5) It's great to have a car that I sell. Adds credibility to the conversation.
6) My grandpa owned or leased Hondas from the late 70s to the mid 2000's. Grandpa was a financial planner, so he knew what a good investment was. I have many memories riding around in grandpa's '90s era Accords, which planted the seed in my brain early in life that Hondas were good cars. Grandpa actually bought a new Lesabre in 1996 or 1997 and hated it, haha. Had it for a year then traded it off on another Accord. If he were still alive, I'm sure he'd be proud of my choice.

This is my first brand new car, first lease, first car from a Japanese brand (All Accords have been built in Marysville, Ohio since 1982 though), first four cylinder and first CVT equipped car.

Even though it's a four cylinder with a CVT, performance is never a question. It feels very sprightly and fun to drive. 2.4L, direct injected, dual overhead cam....185hp. 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds, very tossable, quick steering and confident handling. What's not to like?

I almost leased a Kia Optima LX at my old store, but decided to fix my LeSabre. Never considered an Altima, as I liked the Kia more, but I definitely like the Honda most. Much better quality.

I've gotta get ready for work, but I'll post pictures later.

See less See more
#35 ·
Like I said earlier, my dad's dad always owned Hondas starting in the late '70s. First up was a '79 Prelude, then an '85 Accord, then an '87 Accord, then a 1990 or 1991, then a 1994 (that's the one I remember most) and the last one I remember him having was like a 2003 or so.

At work, we recently took in a 1991 Accord LX Sedan with 51k miles on it. One owner, old lady car with a lot of bumper rash, but otherwise very clean. It smelled like a funeral home inside, but the interior was spectacularly clean. We had it listed at $4495 and it sold in ONE day.

I almost drove it, but just as I was about to take it around the block, I had a customer show up so I had to park it back. That generation Accord was known for it's great visibility and go-kart feel. With it's low beltline and low dashboard, visibility was 2nd to none which made the driving experience fantastic.

#36 ·
A few pictures of the fleet.

#38 ·
Nicely sculpted rear! (heh, heh)

My stepbrother has an 01 Accord coupe, black with those nifty NSX-inspired tail lights. It is, unfortunately, an auto and it sometimes shows the dreaded blinky lights, but it continues to chug along smoothly and quietly, feeling more like a Lexus than a standard car. I took it from St Louis to Denver and enjoyed the ride and V6 acceleration.

#39 ·
Nicely sculpted rear! (heh, heh)

My stepbrother has an 01 Accord coupe, black with those nifty NSX-inspired tail lights. It is, unfortunately, an auto and it sometimes shows the dreaded blinky lights, but it continues to chug along smoothly and quietly, feeling more like a Lexus than a standard car. I took it from St Louis to Denver and enjoyed the ride and V6 acceleration.
The 4 cyl and manual was just as good. So smooth...

#41 ·
^^^^ That's very true, I was just looking, for fun, to compare a 2008 DTS with moderate mileage with an Accord of the same mileage. The two cars were within a few hundred dollars of each other in price. I was surprised. When my son and I were looking to get him an Accord for college we looked a few used ones and decided, all things considered, it was better to lease him a new one.

#46 ·
Chad, the car looks great -- don't put more money into new wheels on a leased mid-level car. Use the money for something else.

#48 ·
Chad, the car looks great -- don't put more money into new wheels on a leased mid-level car. Use the money for something else.
Like Gears for the Marauder!

Congrats on the Honda. You didn't want a manual transmission? ;)

#50 ·
I wanted a stick, but they're only offered in the LX sedan in silver & grey, so no go.

No point in spending money on wheels. I'm too cheap!

Reactions: 77CDV
#55 ·
He's NOT selling it -- he's giving it back to them. He wants this to be a no-hassle turn key operation, not buying wheels and then peddling them on eBay in 3 years. If he was going to go buy more expensive wheels and tires, then just get the Sport or EX model, include them in the lease, and be done with it.

(NOT -- that I'm suggesting you should have done that, Chad.)

There's nothing wrong w/these wheels. The 16s will ride smoother anyway.

DEEL WIH IT, EWE!!

#56 ·
He's NOT selling it -- he's giving it back to them. He wants this to be a no-hassle turn key operation, not buying wheels and then peddling them on eBay in 3 years. If he was going to go buy more expensive wheels and tires, then just get the Sport or EX model, include them in the lease, and be done with it.

(NOT -- that I'm suggesting you should have done that, Chad.)

There's nothing wrong w/these wheels. The 16s will ride smoother anyway.

DEEL WIH IT, EWE!!
No one told me not to buy wheels for my '01 Accord. I knew the Accord was to have something dependable for a few years and help rebuild my credit. I had it for just over 3 years. I had a set of Koenig wheels that I took off before trading it in. I had to get rid of them.

OH NO, THE HORROR!

No difference. Chad just knows he has his Accord for 3 years. I guessed I would have mine that long.

If anything, its MORE of a reason to get other wheels since you know you'll have the car. Many people buy a car and sell it quickly.

Either way, you sell the wheels afterward. Why you don't understand simple numbers is crazy to me. You're smarter than this...

----------

Chad can do what he wants. I would be looking for Sport wheels the second my pen lifted off of my signature.

#60 ·
If you had 8 months left on a lease, sure. But you're basing your premise on wheels for a leased car on the fact you hate leases.

Do the math. Suppose a set of runs and tires run you $1500 and the wheels are $1000. Throw the tires out as they'll be junk anyway.

If you buy $1000 wheels for a bought car, how much do you get extra for your car when its time to sell. Nothing. Maybe if the wheels really set up the car nicely at sale, you get it sold quicker. You don't get any money back. So, hopefully you still have the stock wheels. You then sell the wheels for maybe $500.

Chad just leased a car. He'll have it for 3 years, maybe longer. He has to send the car back with the stock wheels. So he sells them at lease end, for about $500.

How many people keep a car past 3 years? How many dont? Since he's forced to carry it for 3, he can use those wheels for 3. If he sells those wheels in 8 years on a buy, what does he get? Maybe $300?

However you slice it, if you buy and sell cars a lot, wheels would make no sense ON A BUY. He doesn't have to return the aftermarket wheels on a lease, so why not buy them?

#59 ·
Guys, I have no desire to get new wheels. The wheels on here are fine. I like the fact that these wheels have darkened inner spokes, it hides the brake dust. Jim is the one that keeps telling me to get the Sport wheels. They look better, but I don't want to (and can't justify) spending a ton of money on new wheels and tires.

I might not give the Accord back after the lease, I might buy it out.

OH! Also, I filled up the tank for the first time today, 31 MPG! NICE! Driving 325 miles cost me $35. Driving the same amount in the LeSabre would be about $45 and about $50 in the Marauder. All this driving was done around the cities, mostly back and forth to work.

Reactions: 77CDV
#65 ·
*puts on helmet*

But seriously, coming from a Nissan/Kia store to a Honda store is a complete 180* in terms of incentives. Both Nissan and Kia would do crazy rebates and discounts on almost their entire model lines and then knock off additional money if you finance through them and Kia would do a competitive bonus if you owned a car that was competitive with the Kia you were buying. Crazy factory discounts from both brands though.
Honda doesn't have to discount and incentive the heck out of their cars to move them.

Reactions: CadillacLuke24
#67 ·

Brand new car in front of brand new work within brand new building. Seriously, that building was completed last October. It's a beautiful thing!

#69 ·
Hah, that picture was taken after close. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.