For those who think lack of diesel engines is Cadillac's biggest problem in Europe.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, For those who think lack of diesel engines is Cadillac's biggest problem in Europe. in General Discussion; Hello, I've been analyzing GM's policy concerning Cadillac in Europe for the last 8 years. Since Cadillac finally opened a ...
    Bullitt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thumbs down For those who think lack of diesel engines is Cadillac's biggest problem in Europe.

Hello,

I've been analyzing GM's policy concerning Cadillac in Europe for the last 8 years. Since Cadillac finally opened a showroom in my town after 60 years of absence on Polish and European market. Cadillac did existed here before the II World War. In a time when owning a cheapest car was a luxury, some of Poland's government officials owned Cadillacs. Moreover, we used to have assembly that manufactured Chevrolet, Opel cars and trucks under GM license. Who knows what could have been if the war hadn't broke out. Maybe Cadillacs would have been made on our assembly lines... Even during the communist regime some imperialism-fighting party officials owned American luxury cars.

Eight years ago I had high hopes and was happy I could finally buy a Caddy in a normal way. By 'normal' I meant a car with warranty, European lights, working GPS Navi, service etc. Not a dusty car imported privately in a dirty sea container. Cadillac name deserves something better. It deserves something at least as good as what Fiat gets in U.S. I am sorry for comparing Cadillac to shoddy Fiat, but Fiat is a new brand in U.S. - You know what I mean. Fiat in U.S. gets marketing campaigns, is advertised, gets media attention. Nobody will close Fiat dealership in L.A. after 3 years of operation. Unfortunately this happened to one single Cadillac showroom in my town/country. I was left without CTS coupe, I was told they quit importing cars and won't sell me anything other than Opel or Korean Chevrolet.

Everything has been said about Cadillac perfomance in Europe in hundreds of posts on GMi and other internet forum boards. People concentrate on bashing Cadillac for dealer experience, lack of parts, service, lack of diesel engines in Cadillac cars, bad looking dealerships with Cadillac cars exhibited next to Korean Chevrolet Sparks etc. They all are right. I don't deny those strong arguments.

But now have a look at a screenshot from one of the European dealer's webpages. Official cadillaceurope.com directs us to their representative in one of the European markets.
    I don't even want to mention the fact that this company is called ski & sea and sells Cadillac together with quads and boats. As You see they can't even spell Cadillac name correctly!

I regularly check European Cadillac pages after I read about the American programmes that are aimed at improving dealerships. I always hope GM cares also about other markets than U.S. Being a Cadillac enthusiast in Europe is a nightmare.
    http://www.ski-sea.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: For those who think lack of diesel engines is Cadillac's biggest problem in Europ

With all the erosion of sales in the U.S. marketplace you would think that Cadillac would have awakened to the fact that the company'[s post World War II arrogance can no longer be justified. It has only been in the last decade that Cadillac has figured out that to be competitive in todays higher priced automobile market that their dealers have to show the same regard for quality of service that they hope their cars convey. For Cadillac to be marketable in the international marketplace the company must assure that the brand can deliver the level of service, as shown in their dealership's personnel and facilities, at least equivalent of other high priced brands. In GM is not willing to invest the kind of money meet this requirement of todays European and Asian marketplaces them it should not attempt to enter these markets.

Re: For those who think lack of diesel engines is Cadillac's biggest problem in Europ

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    In GM is not willing to invest the kind of money meet this requirement of todays European and Asian marketplaces them it should not attempt to enter these markets.
    So true. There are a few dealerships in Netherlands, Luxembourg and Switzerland that are up to luxury-car standards. But those are needles in a haystack. GM should demand more from its' partners and invest in Cadillac on their own. Subpar attempts to selling luxury goods are unacceptable.

Finally!

Susan Docherty retires.

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...-docherty.html

Let's hope there will be a successor who finally does something.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    Hello,

I've been analyzing GM's policy concerning Cadillac in Europe for the last 8 years. Since Cadillac finally opened a showroom in my town after 60 years of absence on Polish and European market. Cadillac did existed here before the II World War. In a time when owning a cheapest car was a luxury, some of Poland's government officials owned Cadillacs. Moreover, we used to have assembly that manufactured Chevrolet, Opel cars and trucks under GM license. Who knows what could have been if the war hadn't broke out. Maybe Cadillacs would have been made on our assembly lines... Even during the communist regime some imperialism-fighting party officials owned American luxury cars.

Eight years ago I had high hopes and was happy I could finally buy a Caddy in a normal way. By 'normal' I meant a car with warranty, European lights, working GPS Navi, service etc. Not a dusty car imported privately in a dirty sea container. Cadillac name deserves something better. It deserves something at least as good as what Fiat gets in U.S. I am sorry for comparing Cadillac to shoddy Fiat, but Fiat is a new brand in U.S. - You know what I mean. Fiat in U.S. gets marketing campaigns, is advertised, gets media attention. Nobody will close Fiat dealership in L.A. after 3 years of operation. Unfortunately this happened to one single Cadillac showroom in my town/country. I was left without CTS coupe, I was told they quit importing cars and won't sell me anything other than Opel or Korean Chevrolet.

Everything has been said about Cadillac perfomance in Europe in hundreds of posts on GMi and other internet forum boards. People concentrate on bashing Cadillac for dealer experience, lack of parts, service, lack of diesel engines in Cadillac cars, bad looking dealerships with Cadillac cars exhibited next to Korean Chevrolet Sparks etc. They all are right. I don't deny those strong arguments.

But now have a look at a screenshot from one of the European dealer's webpages. Official cadillaceurope.com directs us to their representative in one of the European markets.
    I don't even want to mention the fact that this company is called ski & sea and sells Cadillac together with quads and boats. As You see they can't even spell Cadillac name correctly!

I regularly check European Cadillac pages after I read about the American programmes that are aimed at improving dealerships. I always hope GM cares also about other markets than U.S. Being a Cadillac enthusiast in Europe is a nightmare.
    http://www.ski-sea.com/
    I feel with you buddy!
    I had a 2003 and 2006 CTS and a 2006 SRX and after that I wanted the new CTS wagon. But after 2009 the dealers were starved and did not receive a new car from the US since Kroymans went bankrupt. They retruned in some way in 2011 with some shabby deals for the dealers: pre-paid orders and a waiting time of at least 7 months as euro-production is done in planned batches.
    They must've improved a little for the dealers as my local dealer signed a new contract in March. The onlything interesting they have is the new ATS with only the 2.0T available for Europe. I heard some good news on Cadillac PR improving in Europe, but I haven't seen ANYTHING yet...

The CadillacEurope website is a joke.
    And without diesel (due to endless rising of petrol pices; and Europe petrol is about x4 the price in the US!) Cadillac can just forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 70eldo View Post
    I feel with you buddy!
    I had a 2003 and 2006 CTS and a 2006 SRX and after that I wanted the new CTS wagon. But after 2009 the dealers were starved and did not receive a new car from the US since Kroymans went bankrupt. They retruned in some way in 2011 with some shabby deals for the dealers: pre-paid orders and a waiting time of at least 7 months as euro-production is done in planned batches.
    They must've improved a little for the dealers as my local dealer signed a new contract in March. The onlything interesting they have is the new ATS with only the 2.0T available for Europe. I heard some good news on Cadillac PR improving in Europe, but I haven't seen ANYTHING yet...

And without diesel (due to endless rising of petrol pices; and Europe petrol is about x4 the price in the US!) Cadillac can just forget about it.
    Hey Eldo,

I know Your nickname from GMi although I am just a reader, not a poster there. I decided to start a new thread here because from what I've seen GMi people aren't interested much in Cadillac's problems in Europe. Those who are a little interested, don't have a clue about European market just as Susan Docherty didn't.

They must've improved a little for the dealers as my local dealer signed a new contract in March. The only thing interesting they have is the new ATS with only the 2.0T available for Europe. I heard some good news on Cadillac PR improving in Europe, but I haven't seen ANYTHING yet...
    They don't offer the 3.6 in Europe? It seems that the V6 (beside the CTS) is banned here. The Camaro is not offered here with V6 either. I always wondered why. But each time I tell myself - it's GM...

I was against diesels 10 years ago. But nowadays the ones offered in Opels are near perfect (for a diesel), especially those bi-turbo ones would be suitable for ATS. But of course I still think it's still not the biggest Cadillac problem. If there was ANY brand recognition in Europe (other than the one based on American movies) Caddy would be able to sell 3-4 more cars than they today, 0,00001% of what Germans sell but still... For comparison, completely unknown brand Infiniti sells ca. 40 cars per month in Poland. That's nothing but at least NISSAN DON'T BEHAVE LIKE LOSERS. They keep on advertising and they are present on the market. If I wanted to buy/lease an Infiniti, I could do it right away. The problem is I want a Cadillac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.