Oh, no! Say it ain't so, Joe!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By I~LUV~Caddys8792
  • 1 Post By thebigjimsho
  • 2 Post By 77CDV
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Oh, no! Say it ain't so, Joe! in General Discussion; But it is true, Mercedes is introducing a front wheel drive car into the American market! Yep, the Mercedes-Benz CLA250 ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Oh, no! Say it ain't so, Joe!

But it is true, Mercedes is introducing a front wheel drive car into the American market! Yep, the Mercedes-Benz CLA250 will be new Mercedes model will be new entry in the aspiring "executive" class. With a price tag of just $30,850. this new model is sure to draw the ire of all those snobs who think a real Mercedes must cost upwards of $70,000. (come on guys, Mercedes is largely a truck and taxi company in most of the world). Apparently the car will feature all safety do-hickies for which the company is famous (just like the C 280 Kompressor Sport Coupe of yore that crashed and burned back shortly after the new century. But the question is once more, "will Americans take to a "cheap" Mercedes." Only time will tell!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: Oh, no! Say it ain't so, Joe!

Well this one does look pretty darn sexy, unlike that ugly C280 hatchback or BMW's ill-fated 318tti hatch of the 90's. Although I think this new Benz is going to be ridiculously tight inside, judging by the shape. The "big" CLS Benz already has a tight back seat and smallish trunk, I can't imagine how bad this new, smaller one will be.

EDIT here is a pic:

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

This new CLA, will be a huge car for M-B, with an MSRP starting under $31,000. The cynics can wag their fingers all they want, but these things will fly off the floors. The C-Class hatchback of the prior decade wasn't going to sell well because hatchbacks simply don't sell, but everyone loves a four door coupe and that price point is hot!
    77CDV and ben.gators like this.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

^Can't argue with sound logic.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    When I saw it at the NYAS, I dubbed it the Mercedes Benz Yaris. Compare it to a last gen Toyota Yaris. Everything from the a-pillar back looks identical...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Well this one does look pretty darn sexy, unlike that ugly C280 hatchback or BMW's ill-fated 318tti hatch of the 90's. Although I think this new Benz is going to be ridiculously tight inside, judging by the shape. The "big" CLS Benz already has a tight back seat and smallish trunk, I can't imagine how bad this new, smaller one will be.

EDIT here is a pic:
    Sexy? Look at one in person....
    orconn likes this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

I don't know about you guys, but I think the all new 2014 Mercedes Benz S-Class has a rather unimaginative exterior. It's big and slab sided like my cherished W140 was, but without being as important looking as the W140.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

I agree with both Jim and Chad ..... current Mercedes styling tends toward "puddin'" on wheels, rather than elegant statement of taste and status. While German designs have never been statements of "taste" they have been well drawn to attract the admiration of the masses! But even in this the new designs fall way short of that mark (no pun intended).

The only German car maker producing beautifully designed cars (IMO) today is Volkswagen Group.

According to the review I read about the CLA it falls way short in interior room (and judging from the pictures) and styling. The reviewer also commented on the high level of noise levels in the car. This has always been a problem with decontented Mercedes product; the company seems to feel it must punish those with a desire town a Mercedes, but with insufficient funds!

Ve vil built a cheap Mercedes und you vil LIKE IT!!!!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV
    Ve vil built a cheap Mercedes und you vil LIKE IT!!!!
    Cough cough 190E cough cough

They have been building what we would consider a "cheap" Mercedes and shipping it (actually building it too) around the world, just not to the U.S. It is amazing how much less a Mercedes cost when you deduct all the ridiculously over priced accessories that they pile on the U.S. bound cars.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Mercedes Benz in the US is associated with luxury cars. But the luxury cars is just one division of the MB. In many other areas of the world, you will see Benz badge on almost any cargo and utility van, garbage truck, city bus, dump truck, and mini bus. furthermore, in many countries, the taxis are Mercedes!

That's usually what you do if you're behind a 190E.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Cough cough 190E cough cough

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Mercedes Benz in the US is associated with luxury cars. But the luxury cars is just one division of the MB. In many other areas of the world, you will see Benz badge on almost any cargo and utility van, garbage truck, city bus, dump truck, and mini bus. furthermore, in many countries, the taxis are Mercedes!
    Unimog my neighbor has one

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.