How important is a sound system in your car?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, How important is a sound system in your car? in General Discussion; If you could buy a car that had all the necessary safety technology, but was designed and built to a ...
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

How important is a sound system in your car?

If you could buy a car that had all the necessary safety technology, but was designed and built to a truly high standard of quality ..... excellent materials and workmanship, handling characteristics that suited your tastes, beautiful body and interior design and execution .... but it didn't have a sound system, or a lot of other gadgets (not involving comfort and safety) would you consider buying the car?

Would your need for all the latest techno gadgetry eliminate a truly superior, beautiful, high quality automobile from your consideration as a purchase?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: How important is a sound system in your car?

Car, truck, whatever ........ I'm an audiophile, speaker builder and LP record collector by hobby, so the severe limitations of an automotive "sound system" are a turn-off for me. I can honestly say, with a straight face, that the Bose system in the STS and the Ford system is the trucks is used exclusively for NOAA weather reports and little else.

When I bought the STS in 11/05 I loaded a few favorite CD's into the changer - one was Alan Parsons Eye In The Sky, another was Jefferson Starship, Gold. No amount of tweaking and fiddling with knobs came remotely close to the sonic presentation, tonal accuracy, impact and depth that my listening room tube system can project, so the radio has stayed set to NOAA weather channels 6 or 2 and that's it. Even on a MD - FL trip, we never listen to the radio - we talk to each other (not shout, talk) and listen to the road. Much more relaxing.

Ummmm ............... NO ! I don't sit in the local Burger Doodle parking lot with the trunk open, thumpitybumpity noisemaking with my ghetto blaster boombox.

amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

It always wanted to own a Checker Marathon
    lacville78 and lacville78 like this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    No amount of tweaking and fiddling with knobs came remotely close to the sonic presentation, tonal accuracy, impact and depth that my listening room tube system can project
    Well said. solid state has severe limitations, and once you've heard audio through tubes, you become ultra-sensitized to it. Funny how people buy into triple digit solid state wattage, big cables and alternators, and subwoofers when tubes and high quality speakers will annihilate them in fidelity, smoothness, and volume with less power output than a Philips light bulb, isn't it?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    Well said. solid state has severe limitations, and once you've heard audio through tubes, you become ultra-sensitized to it. Funny how people buy into triple digit solid state wattage, big cables and alternators, and subwoofers when tubes and high quality speakers will annihilate them in fidelity, smoothness, and volume with less power output than a Philips light bulb, isn't it?
    Great, put it in your car and SHADDUP then...

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Even though i love the smell of warmed. p tubes running in audio equipment I would never want that stuff in my car.
    Though one of my petpeeves with the ATS is the lack of good bassy lows.
    And I wouldnt buy a car that didnt have a usb and digial media interface type technology

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

If I was looking at a track car for that purpose only, no.

DD or cruiser? Probably would have to have a stereo.

Does it have to be super high quality? No.
    77CDV, 77CDV, ben.gators and 2 others like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I enjoy listening to music on the road, and I'm ok with good enough sound quality.
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

Automobile audio (< cute words) used to be ..... all tube. I have quite a few Delco vacuum tubes in my collection - from 50's and 60's car radios. For automotive use - radio and CD = background noise, transistor and switching power supply amp audio makes perfect sense. Light, cheap to produce, and - properly executed - makes nice noise.

Tubes are not the be and end-all of audio, but properly designed and built modern tube amps can pump out prodigious 'wattage' (if you believe that wattage hype equates to 'better sound'). BUT vacuum tubes can have less than satisfactory bass control (real bass, not one-note car audio bass) from ~40 hz down ........... So I use a Marchand electronic crossover with 60 hz chips to drive a Rockford 450 wpc bass amp, and that drives two NHT 1249 woofers in 3.6 cu.ft. reflex cabinets. Coupled with my VAC PA 100/100 tube amp from 60 hz up this gives me (hype wattage) 550 wpc, RMS. I can crack plaster if I so choose, but good sound reproduction is NOT about volume - far from it.

This is a horrible picture, but gives a hint of what you can do with bits and pieces - the system is always in a state of flux ...... several changes and upgrades since this was taken .......

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

The new duck 3000 amplifier!!! J/K..

--I don't know that I have ever heard these tubes you speak of.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Yea, it's important, i think the Bose system in these 90's Cadillacs is good, but GM and Bose couldve at least made some more durable speakers rather than the paper cone crap these have

But i went about this a smart way imo, keeping the factory Bose amps but finding matching speakers

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...p-nominal.html

And Tomorrow i'll be topping it off with the following:

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Automobile audio (< cute words) used to be ..... all tube. I have quite a few Delco vacuum tubes in my collection - from 50's and 60's car radios. For automotive use - radio and CD = background noise, transistor and switching power supply amp audio makes perfect sense. Light, cheap to produce, and - properly executed - makes nice noise.

Tubes are not the be and end-all of audio, but properly designed and built modern tube amps can pump out prodigious 'wattage' (if you believe that wattage hype equates to 'better sound'). BUT vacuum tubes can have less than satisfactory bass control (real bass, not one-note car audio bass) from ~40 hz down ........... So I use a Marchand electronic crossover with 60 hz chips to drive a Rockford 450 wpc bass amp, and that drives two NHT 1249 woofers in 3.6 cu.ft. reflex cabinets. Coupled with my VAC PA 100/100 tube amp from 60 hz up this gives me (hype wattage) 550 wpc, RMS. I can crack plaster if I so choose, but good sound reproduction is NOT about volume - far from it.

This is a horrible picture, but gives a hint of what you can do with bits and pieces - the system is always in a state of flux ...... several changes and upgrades since this was taken .......
    I am no audiophile, Jim, but I am curious. What exactly does the goose in the bottom right shelve do for system?
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

^I'm more curious about what the urns on top of the speakers do . . .

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000
    They capture all those old pesky sound artifacts that you don't want to hear....duh.....

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I am no audiophile, Jim, but I am curious. What exactly does the goose in the bottom right shelve do for system?
    We ate the goose two years ago - a bit fluffy, but gravy took care of that. The space is now occupied by two (idle) EL-34 mono tube amps that iI occasionally get the hots for and switch out the larger KT-88 stereo amp. (That main amp weighs 74 pounds - yep, 74. Transformers (good transformers) are heavy........... the EL-34's weigh 34 pounds each)............... here they are before I installed the stereo amp...........

(Sorry for the thread hijack ...................)

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    They're Chinese porcelain from my great-grandmother's home............ and because they sit on top of some pretty hard-driven bass speakers they're sitting on felt feet and each is filled with a mix of fine sand and #7 lead shot............. for weight and damping.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.