How important is a sound system in your car? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, How important is a sound system in your car? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by orconn If you could buy a car that had all the necessary safety technology, but was designed ...
    Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: How important is a sound system in your car?

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    If you could buy a car that had all the necessary safety technology, but was designed and built to a truly high standard of quality ..... excellent materials and workmanship, handling characteristics that suited your tastes, beautiful body and interior design and execution .... but it didn't have a sound system, or a lot of other gadgets (not involving comfort and safety) would you consider buying the car?
    Depends on what you mean by a sound system. As long as it has some speakers and a way to play music on SD or USB or bluetooth, that's all I care about. Just so I can make out the words and the notes.

As already mentioned, a car is never going to be a great place to listen to music, so the system doesn't much matter.

I look at HP about the same. Even the fastest cars can provide over 1 G for very short periods and only at low speeds. An econobox braking or turning will out G a supercar's forward acceleration. So satisfying acceleration is as non-existant in a car as beautiful sound. I was used to 2.x second 0-60s with bikes but even that wasn't any G's to write home about.

You want some sound and some acceleration but its better to accept the low quality reality of both than waste time or money on "better" mediocrity.
    77CDV and orconn like this.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Although it's not as large a difference as from tube to solid state, most modern amps have eliminated transistors for integrated circuits, i.e. chips. They are cheap, the specs look good, and all too few consumers care about sound quality. Cheap crap rules the market!

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Ah the hell with sound systems! The most enjoyable cars I have owned and driven had lousy sound systems. Actually they had no sound system other than the music of their mechanics and the way the felt as they traversed the road. My favorite driving machines .... two of the them didn't have radios ... the third had a a radio bit thieves kept stealing them so its' sound system kept being down graded to what the local car stereo shop had on sale!.

My XK 150 drophead came from the factory with no radio installed, I never had one put the car. I bought a transistorized (new tech at the time) portable to be able to listen to traffic and weather reports otherwise made do with the glories of top down travel, a dual overhead cam six, and the wonderful company of beautiful young ladies.

When I moved up to a Lamborghini 350 GT in the the late 1960's it was more of the same and then some! The raven haired, blue eyed beauty (with a masters degree in Chinese Politics) whom I married, didn't seem to miss the lack of the sound system! It left us time to talk and get to know one another with life long benefits!

The !983 Volkswagen Wolfsburg Scirocco came with a some high falutin' Swiss sound system, supposedly pretty hot stuff at the time (at least the thieves who broke into the car and stole two units thought so). When I replaced the second unit with a lesser but solid unit they still thought it was worth the effort and ripped it and it successor off (lost my comprehensive insurance after the last heft on that car!). It was a great driving, fun car .... but music along with the driving pleasure just wasn't worth the effort!

I prefer my music in the comfort of my own home ... not diluting the pleasure of driving a fine car with another, the pleasure of listening to fine music.

To those stuck in traffic with no other pleasurable outlet, I understand your addiction and pleasure in this past time.
    But when I found myself in that situation I would have much rather spent my time on the phone (cell) trying to make money rather than listening to recorded music!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    All you poor saps who wait to get home to enjoy good music. If you're retired and spend all day at home, great!
    Stingroo likes this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    All you poor saps who wait to get home to enjoy good music. If you're retired and spend all day at home, great!
    Shouldn't you be on your cell making money instead of posting?

Me? I'm retired. I wake up every morning with nothing I have to do. And by 5PM half of it is done.

Not really my philosophy but I saw it in someone's forum sig and was waiting for a chance to say it.
    talismandave likes this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

All you poor saps who can't wait to listen to good music at home. If you spend all day on the road living off a car and a cell phone, great!

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    If you could buy a car that had all the necessary safety technology, but was designed and built to a truly high standard of quality ..... excellent materials and workmanship, handling characteristics that suited your tastes, beautiful body and interior design and execution .... but it didn't have a sound system, or a lot of other gadgets (not involving comfort and safety) would you consider buying the car?

Would your need for all the latest techno gadgetry eliminate a truly superior, beautiful, high quality automobile from your consideration as a purchase?
    You can build in a sound system you like, so I would go ahead with the purchase if that would otherwise fit to be my car.

tanderson2491 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS, 2000 Olds Intrigue, 2002 STS (Hopefully)

I like a good sound system in a car. I had a deck speaker that was dying in my 2000 Intrigue not too long after I bought it. Instead of replacing the one stock speaker, I decided to replace them all and get a new head unit (it was also a graduation present for myself). The sound quality is definitely better. At first the deck speakers had enough bass for me (I listen to a lot of pop, dance, techno and dubstep) but I eventually decided to get subs. I run two 10" Infinity speakers off a 600w amp (I know, weaksauce) but it does the job for me.

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Yes. I HAVE to have a decent stereo. Every time i look at a car, the stereo is the first thing I test. The stereo in my new car isn't AS good as the Bose was in my STS, but it's really not bad especially in HD mode. Just wish it had a central subwoofer in the back to free up the tweeters for better highs. But I do like it

In our Rav, I'm very surprised at the clarity of its stereo. Sounds really good. The tweeters in the tops of the door panels are very crisp.

And I DEFINITELY couldn't have my semi without a stereo. And the one in my 2014 Pete sounds great surprisingly. Has 2 different subs. One small one right behind the drivers seat and a larger on under the bunk.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I think it's pretty important. I enjoy listening to music on long drives and if the stereo is excellent that makes the drive better. The Bose in the Seville was extremely impressive IMO. The BMW had THE shittiest stereo I'd ever heard in a modern car. Cruddy bass, terrible highs and the entire system was muddled. The Deville doesn't have Bose but I find the quality quite good even though it can't match the Seville for power.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

My DeVille has, AFAIK, a Delco setup. It surprises me with its performance

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    It use to be I'd say for my truck, I don't need a good stereo bc I just like listening to that gigantic diesel chugging along. But this '14 is so soundproofed, it's like driving a diesel pickup. No exciting rumbling and rattling coming from this cummins.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

"Good" sound at home is different from "good" sound in a car. At home I like the sound to be clear and a bit mellow.

In the car I want a concert-style presentation with some exaggerated lows and highs, especially when I have the top down. I sing in the car and want enough power to drown myself out. I don't sing at home.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Not in the shower?
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Not in the shower?
    These days I take it to karaoke bars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.