What makes a "luxury" car today? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree39Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What makes a "luxury" car today? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by lacville78 Great find, I hope someone fixes her up. needs some serious TLC. note the rust under ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Re: What makes a "luxury" car today?

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    Great find, I hope someone fixes her up.
    needs some serious TLC. note the rust under the top. Also note the former top color of the car in the door jambs...thats some faded paint!
    It would be a cool car. I often wonder what a notchback seville would look like with the windshield raked back an inch or 2....it would make the car make so much more elegant.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Hated those for years, now much like the 73 Riviera I couldn't stand in their day, I have grown to love the oddity of their design. What I really didn't like was the similar look to certain X bodies of the day.

I mentioned that one to a friend who just got rid of an 80s Jag. (Figuring he was a masochist and might want to buy it!)

Pillow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade ESV & 2005 CTS-V

Oddly enough I debated between the CTS-V and a 67-73 RR Sliver Shadow for daily. The only reason the Shadow lost was because I like to shift. There is no substitute for the quality of parts that go into these RR cars. Even being decades old they are more solid than many of todays new plastic cars. And yes the wool floors mats are the !

Shoot my old Porsche 911SC is still killing some modern cars! Lord knows it is much more gratifying to drive as a purist that these gizmo rockets.

Whoever is bagging on the hyundai Genesis sedan hasn't driven one. I'd take it over a 3 or 5 any day (excluding Ms).

IMO the only really cool feature that hasn't been out since the 70s is rain sensing wipers. I do like that on the current Cadillacs.

I think it is like art, you know Luxury when you see it. And thank you to the poster who mentioned "executive sedan", which is what most yuppies and dinks drive.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ While value of enjoyment may not have a price tag, the cost of ownership does! You made a wise decision opting for the CTS-V verses an old Rolls-Royce. All the things that go into a Rolls-Royce certainly have their value in the pleasure that they give the owner and some would say they are worth the price!

pjblush is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2006 DTS Luxury III

I think many of you have mentioned the physical attributes of a luxury car, but I have one more that I would like to add. My dealer says that they treat you like a Cadillac owner. That is real luxury. My car is picked up for service and returned to me looking beautiful with service completed. Their personnel are just outstanding. Now for a second car to run all of my stop and start errands, I have an Chevrolet Equinox. It is a very nice car and the dealership is very good. However, the car does not ride or have the feel of our Cadillac. The dealer is very nice and gives me good service, but it is not Cadillac service. I believe luxury begins with the dealer. We live in the San Antonio, TX area and my dealer is Cavender Cadillac. Even though we have a 2010 DTS, we are treated as if we have the most expensive car that Cadillac makes. Can't beat that "luxury" feeling.

No doubt about it "service" from the dealership contributes greatly to one's satisfaction and valuation of a car.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Indeed. No matter how bland Lexuses tend to be (to me), they treat their customers like five-star guests.

Cadillac has a VERY long way to go in that regard.

Yes, Lexus came a long way in providing the service they claimed to provide. Maybe there is hope for Cadillac, but the company's history as the mavens of better mediocrity doesn't bode well!

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

"better mediocrity" haha, I like that.

Yup, Cadillac is a long way from what they should be. Whatever happened to "Standard of the World"?

I am tired of seeing overly complicated Cadillac Economy/ Go-fast cars, and the new Escalade looks like Cadillac went to Autozone, bought some fake louvers and L.E.D. Rope Lights and called it a day.

Shame!! I mean really, this needs to stop, for them to go from building cars of equal or better quality than Rolls Royce to building Mercedes/ Nissan imitations. It just boggles my mind.

My advice to them would be to listen to Leyland's words, "It is easy to get cooperation for mediocre work, but one must sweat blood for a chance to produce a superior product,"

"If his work be merely mediocre, he will be left severely alone--if he achieves a masterpiece, it will set a million tongues a-wagging."

And lastly, "That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial That which deserves to live--lives."

This means Cadillac should dump this horrible sports/luxury, rebadged Chevrolet Tahoe business, and actually do what that are supposed to do; which is build the best true luxury automobiles in the world!

The Escalade is a pseudo Cadillac for the "pickup" set!

The question, Lacville, is whether they can make money building the "the best luxury cars in the world." truth be told, probably not. The Germans, the French, the Japanese, and maybe the Koreans, know what top of the heap is ....some in the Cadillac realm may know but are over ruled. So we will never see a Cadillac worthy of the title "Standard of the World" again! Sad but probably true.

It is unlikely that a n American producer of "executive" cars will feel the need for the prestige of a first class product.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

The new escalade is supposed to be "significantly differentiated" from the tahoe/yukon/suburban ... at least on the interior ... you know the exterior will be different

also there will be no EXT in the next body style esky
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    The new escalade is supposed to be "significantly differentiated" from the tahoe/yukon/suburban ... at least on the interior ... you know the exterior will be different

also there will be no EXT in the next body style esky
    If the Corvette's interior is any indicator of GM's capabilities, maybe it will be.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jesda View Post
    indeed. No matter how bland lexuses tend to be (to me), they treat their customers like five-star guests.

Cadillac has a very long way to go in that regard.
    bingo

Even though it is nicer and easier than my past Chevy, Pontiac experiences it is still a major failure

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Luxury is in the eye of the beholder. Far as I'm concerned there's no one meaning or phrase which will define "luxury" far as the modern day automobile goes. Sure you've got terms like heritage which Mercedes definitely has. But so does ford. But does that make ford more of a luxury car than say a Lexus which has only been around since the late 80's?

It's just one of those debates to which you'll not come upon a definite conclusion. Maybe you'll here a description that settles the debate in your eyes, but again; luxury lies within the eye of the beholder.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.