What makes a "luxury" car today? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What makes a "luxury" car today? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho It's fine to state an opinion. I said luxury "to me"... Someone then comes on here ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: What makes a "luxury" car today?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post

It's fine to state an opinion. I said luxury "to me"...

Someone then comes on here and states luxury IS weight and wheelbase and blah blah blah...

(In my opinion.)

I am reasonably sure the poster was telling us what it means to them. I doubt he was posting what it is to someone else?
    I generally assume people are posting their own opinions.
    Even if you hadn't prefaced your statement with "to me" I think we would have figured out that it was your opinion.

To avoid any confusion on my future posts, and to save me having to add "to me" or "in my opinion" to every post, please assume any future posts made by me are, in deed, the way it seems "to me" and that anything I post "is my opinion" unless otherwise stated.

This will save me a lot of extra keystrokes, and help avoid confusion and prevent me from offending your sensibilities.:thumbsup"
    is3_ftw and lacville78 like this.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^Perhaps you should prepared some boiler plate to that effect, Dave. Some have short memories here..

Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I'll assert it again:

Luxury=Excess

This can also apply to horsepower. Nobody NEEDS a 567hp CTS-V, or a 627hp ZR1 Vette. Hell nobody needs an old rusty 1974 Vega with a 1500hp blown, nitrous fed big block Chevy that runs a mid 7 second quarter mile.

Luxury can also apply to how impractical your car is. A #1 concourse winning Duesenberg is like a million bucks. You don't dare drive such a car on the street, you just polish it and admire its awesomeness.

So what I'm saying is that impractical toys like what I mentioned above might not be luxurious in terms of comfort, with them being noisy, hard riding, no power steering, manual transmission with no syncros, etc, etc, etc Yet clearly there is no "rational" reason for owning such cars, they are your passion. If you have the bankroll for indulging yourself in some of the finest machinery money can buy, I consider it luxurious.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    In Europe and other parts of the world, the words "executive class" are used to describe cars affordable and enjoyed by the upper middle class. This term more appropriately the socio-economics of these cars. Today many earning top 1% salaries do not find themselves able to easily afford a true "luxury" car.
    If we want to exclude the "executive class" cars from luxury cars, and restrict the definition of luxury cars to the ones with 150k price tag and higher, then the answer to your main question would be pretty easy. Everyone, even the people who are not car guys, wouldn't have any problem in discriminating between a Rolls Royce and a Kia forte.

The main challenge is the distinction between "semi-luxury" cars (or based on your terminology the "executive class" cars) and new fully loaded entry level cars. I initially thought your main question was about this part. 20 years ago these classes of cars used to be very distinct from each other. But these days they are getting so close that we can not draw a solid boundary line between "semi-luxury" cars and the regular midsized family sedans.
    orconn likes this.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    Given those exact parameters, and my experiences so far, I know of a DeVille that is a luxury automobile!!
    Why yes it is
    Here in America anyway as far as mass produced vehicles go Cadillac is at the top.
    They tried using Cadillac badges on other cars and loading them with options - Failure - nearly killed the brand.
    So there must be more to it than wiz bang options.

Did you ever study the GM line up?
    If I remember correctly
    You got a Chevy
    Then a
    Pontiac
    Buick
    Cadillac
    Oldsmobile
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Saturn

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog

Why yes it is
    Here in America anyway as far as mass produced vehicles go Cadillac is at the top.
    They tried using Cadillac badges on other cars and loading them with options - Failure - nearly killed the brand.
    So there must be more to it than wiz bang options.

Did you ever study the GM line up?
    If I remember correctly
    You got a Chevy
    Then a
    Pontiac
    Buick
    Cadillac
    Oldsmobile
    IIRC, you got a chevy (entry level), then a pontiac (slightly nicer entry level), then olds (more at performance than luxury)/ buick (more at luxury than performance), then cadillac (both luxury and performance).
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post

IIRC, you got a chevy (entry level), then a pontiac (slightly nicer entry level), then olds (more at performance than luxury)/ buick (more at luxury than performance), then cadillac (both luxury and performance).
    Pontiac used to be the performance division. Oldsmobile was the pioneering division that would innovate. And Buick was the poor man's luxury w/performance...
    77CDV likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    What makes a "luxury" car today

My general rule is: if I can afford it, it's not a luxury car.
    EcSTSatic, 77CDV, orconn and 3 others like this.

Rick Neighbors is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Cadillac CTS

One of the most "comfortable" cars I ever owned was a 1951 Cadillac Funeral Car. Manual transmission, 3 on the tree, but it floated down the highway like a cloud.

----------

But I also got a trophy at the local dragstrip with that funeral car because there wasn't anyone in my class.
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    My general rule is: if I can lease it and manage to keep, if just barely, from plunging into financial disater, it's not a luxury car.
    Fixed.
    77CDV likes this.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

When looking at a sedan, consider the rear door. Is there actually ample room to sit an adult in the rear, or is it just a cheap gimmick? Most modern "Luxury cars" will make someone very unconfortable in the rear. They will have no leg room, and their knees will hit the back of the front seat. Which leads to my general rule: If it hits, its s*!t.

A luxury cars job is to provide its occupants with comfort. If the car can't do that, then it is not a luxury car. It may be an expensive car, a fast car, but not a luxury car; although, people and manufacturers may claim otherwise.
    amunderdog and Pillow like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I'd agree with that observation Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    When looking at a sedan, consider the rear door. Is there actually ample room to sit an adult in the rear, or is it just a cheap gimmick? Most modern "Luxury cars" will make someone very unconfortable in the rear. They will have no leg room, and their knees will hit the back of the front seat. Which leads to my general rule: If it hits, its s*!t.

A luxury cars job is to provide its occupants with comfort. If the car can't do that, then it is not a luxury car. It may be an expensive car, a fast car, but not a luxury car; although, people and manufacturers may claim otherwise.
    Notch another one for the 96 DeVille

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Great find, I hope someone fixes her up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.