2000 Deville concerns
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, 2000 Deville concerns in General Discussion; Hi I just bought my first caddy a 2000 deville with 129,000 miles on it yesterday. It only had one ...
    firstcaddyrob97' is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 deville

2000 Deville concerns

Hi I just bought my first caddy a 2000 deville with 129,000 miles on it yesterday. It only had one previous owner and looks immaculate. I don't know much about engines but I know the v8 northstar has caused some problems in the past and I'm really wondering if this car will last me for 3 or more years. It will be used for mostly small city driving ! Thanks again for your time!

----------

Also the car looks to have been garage kept and well maintained ill try and post a picture in a minute

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2000 cadillac deville concerns

HI neighbor! and

Take care of it and it should last. If you don't know when the coolant was last changed, change it. Probably wouldn't hurt to clean the TB too.

There was an upgrade in 2000 (roller followers, longer head bolts) so it is much more reliable.

Awesome thank you tons! Also it seems to be leaking oil... And when I start it it says service stability system if you or anyone on here has any advice on those two things it would be appreciated!

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: 2000 cadillac deville concerns

Hello Rob, I'm the radiator cap guy. As a pro I couldn't believe the amount of overheating posts on this forum that all started with a worn out pressure cap but went for days checking everything but. So along with changing the coolant check that cap underneath well. If it isn't a newer one that's been recently replaced for the love of all holy do it now. This will reduce your help post count 70% in the next six months.

These engines have several common leaks. You'll have to get under it and look, posibly clean it all off, then drive a few miles and look again. The most common are: The rear valve cover (makes a smokey stink that rolls up from behind the engine) and requires moderate skill and tools. The oil pressure sending unit (the small electrical switch threading into the high pressure oil gallery just above the oil filter itself), this will start in the front around the filter and spread under the whole engine. This one is realtively easy once you get to it. The third most likely is the crankshaft rear main seal, this starts between the engine and transmission (the black four bolt plate on the bottom bridges this gap) and spreads rearward everywhere. This one requires engine removal to repare, at which point you should go ahead and do a bottom end reseal where the lower block halfs meet each other as that is the next most common leak point.
    Just be sure it's oil and you're not loosing ATF as these trans will burn-out quickly when low on fluid.

The stability message will also have code(s) stored that will point you to the cause. Read the sticky at the top of the forum to learn how to access codes on the Devilles dash.

Vernon

First car= 2000 Cadillac DeVille

Hey everyone yesterday I just purchased my first ever car and I decided to go with a 2000 deville! It has 129,990 miles on it but its a beauty!interior and exterior are flawless as well as the engine looks to be well maintained. I had my uncle check out the car and he found it to be leaking oil and when I start it up it says service stability system. He also said it floats more than his wife's 2000 deville. I am really excited to be owning a cadillac as my first car and I'm already in love with it! If you guys have any tips for matinence or anything I should know about the car in general that would be much appreciated!! Also the rear sub was blown before I even bought it so if you have any websites to order a new sub and any tips on replacing it that would help. Thanks again everyone!

image-3001506307.jpg

Wow I can't believe how supportive this forum has already been it seems to be a great group of members! Thank you Vernon for all the help and as soon as I get back from work! Seriously so awesome!!!

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: First car= 2000 Cadillac DeVille

You need to determine where the oil leak is at and pray it's not at the case halves, the service stability might be the shocks/struts

Learn how to pull the codes here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/138258-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

And post any you have WITH the definitions, then go up to the black bar up top ^ and pour through the entire technical archive..

Welcome, and i hope you have deep deep pockets to maintain this vehicle

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Congratulations on your first car, this is always a milestone in a young man's life. A well used Cadillac, in spite of its' appearance, inside and out, can require costly repairs. But life is a learning experience, I hope you are lucky with this one!

Welcome to the Forums, you will find a lot of useful information here.
    vincentm and vincentm like this.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Sounds like you need new shocks and struts. Typical for the age. Did you get a warranty on it? Will they fix the leak and suspension?

They gave me two days to test it out and see how I like it and today is the first day! I was obviously not told about the stability system issues or the oil leak when buying the car so I will probobly have some more negotiating to do to lower the price down! Also I got it for 5820$ not including license and registration(how's that price?). Any suggestions on the wheeling and dealing? It's being purchased from a large car dealer (Gary Lang auto in mchenry il). This is an EXTREMELY supportive forum and I am absolutely impressed thus far. I really enjoy the way the car feels when driving and I'd love to start a tradition of buying Cadillacs. I have a minimum wage job at a local restaurant and work with my dad on the side for extra cash so I will have some extra money for repairs and what not but I can't be putting thousands into this car so if that's what expected I might have to take it back which would really suck! Again thanks for all the support!!

----------

Also it does not come with a warranty and I have no idea whether or not they will fix it or just take it back and try and sell it to someone who won't see these problems right away.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

If the case halves are leaking you're looking at around $2000-$3000, the engine has to come out, split apart, and a new RTV sealant placed, along with both rear and main seals installed, along with a new oil distribution plate..ask me how i know

Get her up in the air by someone who knows the Northstar, this isn't your typical engine..

Quote Originally Posted by firstcaddyrob97' View Post
    They gave me two days to test it out and see how I like it and today is the first day! I was obviously not told about the stability system issues or the oil leak when buying the car so I will probobly have some more negotiating to do to lower the price down! Also I got it for 5820$ not including license and registration(how's that price?). Any suggestions on the wheeling and dealing? It's being purchased from a large car dealer (Gary Lang auto in mchenry il). This is an EXTREMELY supportive forum and I am absolutely impressed thus far. I really enjoy the way the car feels when driving and I'd love to start a tradition of buying Cadillacs. I have a minimum wage job at a local restaurant and work with my dad on the side for extra cash so I will have some extra money for repairs and what not but I can't be putting thousands into this car so if that's what expected I might have to take it back which would really suck! Again thanks for all the support!!

----------

Also it does not come with a warranty and I have no idea whether or not they will fix it or just take it back and try and sell it to someone who won't see these problems right away.
    To put it in perspective, I just replaced my active suspension on my '99 STS for approx $1500 - parts only. Not sure how yours compares but I bet it is close. Members have gone to passive parts, that's your call. I have no idea what the leak would cost to fix, not knowing where it is.

So if it is the case halfs then definatly return it? Ill try and get it looked at and diagnosed before I go back to the dealer but if that doesn't work out is there any way I myself would be able to diagnose the oil leak myself? Unfortunately I have minimal mechanical experience and almost no experience with cars!

It would be hard for you to locate unless it's really bad and obvious. Typically you degrease the engine at a manual car wash and drive it for a while to look for fresh oil leaking. I have a dye that I put in the oil and look under a black light. You really don't have much time to find it either way. Don't accept some Stop-Leak snake oil fix.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.