Question on car terminology - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Question on car terminology in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS What's a choke knob ?? Manual choke; when cold in the morning, you pulled ...
    C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: Question on car terminology

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    What's a choke knob??
    Manual choke; when cold in the morning, you pulled the choke knob out to choke (additional butterfly, cable controlled to block free flow air to go into the carburetor) to make the air/fuel mixture richer. As the engine warmed you pushed in the knob. Same sort of thing still on a lot of lawn equipment today.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    I used real Corvair turbo mufflers on my GTO back in the 70's. They were the hot setup back then.
    Curious, because the Corvair turbo muffler was designed with increasing backpressure as gas flow increased - the turbo had no wastegate to control intake air pressure, so the power output was limited by strangling the engine at high rpm - by using excessive exhaust pressure.

Thus my statement that today's "turbo muffler" idea is based on the wrong technology for today's exhaust system flow characteristics.

(another Spyder power level control was the single throat side draft carburetor - the bore was sized so that it came very restrictive as the air velocity through the bore approached the speed of sound - airflow would not go any higher. It was a dancing act between the intake airflow and exhaust backpressure. One way we used to coax more power out of a Spyder was to insulate the entire exhaust header/pipe system - hotter gas = more delivery to the exhaust turbine)

EDIT: Do I remember correctly - the Spyder had to be idled for a minute before a hot shutdown - to cool the turbo bearing to prevent oil coking ?

............. No electric starter solenoid on my '53 MG - Spring-loaded manual pull knob on the dash - right next to the choke knob.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    I never heard of a Manual Transmission until 2009 when I got my first CTS-V. Up until that point, it was always called a Standard. I figured that it was because that generation V was not offered in Automatic, so calling it Standard, which implies that there is at least one other optional transmission, would be a poor choice in terminology.

Still, it is my natural first thought to refer to a "Manual" transmission as a Standard.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Hah !!!! Good ol' '49 Cadillac gas cap ............. Push in on the cat's eye, flip the tail light up. Filled plenty of those during my after-school part time job at the local AMOCO station ..............

"Hey, Mom ......... That car has water running out of the license plate !!!" ....... "No, honey - he left the gas cap off !" ( some Chevy, Ford)
    Cars without hidden fuel caps are uncivilized. Probably what lesser primates would drive, if they could drive.

Funny thing about leaking license plates though. That was the first thing I ever had to do to my Lincoln. Immediately after buying it and filling the tank, my friend who was following behind mentioned to me that petrol was pouring slowly from the fuel cap, which was of course behind the license plate (until 73 anyhow)

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    Manual choke; when cold in the morning, you pulled the choke knob out to choke (additional butterfly, cable controlled to block free flow air to go into the carburetor) to make the air/fuel mixture richer. As the engine warmed you pushed in the knob. Same sort of thing still on a lot of lawn equipment today.
    Where can I find it on my Northstar car?

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    A "trunk" was a large rectangular container one used when travelling (early suitcase). Early cars came with a rack on back to hold the trunk. Eventually, a storage area in the back of the car became a built-in feature. It retained the name, though.
    That's not a trunk. It's called a boot. It's on the opposite end than the bonnet, which is up at the front of the car and usually houses the auto's motor.

I am no expert on how to use them though. My Cadillac has five doors, no boot. That'd be creepy and peculiar.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

My Jag E-Type and Lamborghini 350, not to mention my Jag XK 150, all had manual chokes. The fifties and sixties cars required that you depress the gas pedal once or twice before starting cold. Fuel injected cars do the choking automatically.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    That's not a trunk. It's called a boot. It's on the opposite end than the bonnet, which is up at the front of the car and usually houses the auto's motor.
    In that case, we should probably also mention the windscreen (which one looks out to drive) and the repeater (which tells others of your intention to turn)

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Curious, because the Corvair turbo muffler was designed with increasing backpressure as gas flow increased - the turbo had no wastegate to control intake air pressure, so the power output was limited by strangling the engine at high rpm - by using excessive exhaust pressure.
    That is correct. They weren't as free flowing as glasspacks but noticeably quieter. And they had a 2 1/2" diameter!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by orconn
    My Jag E-Type and Lamborghini 350, not to mention my Jag XK 150, all had manual chokes. The fifties and sixties cars required that you depress the gas pedal once or twice before starting cold. Fuel injected cars do the choking automatically.
    50s and 60s cars? Hell my 80s V8 cars require that (granted they are rarely driven). In fact, the smaller FI V6s (2.8 and 3.1 IIRC) requires you to "prime" the system by pushing the gas pedal down twice before starting.

My cars are ritualistically primed before turning the key. Face of habit. Floridian climate does probably occasionally mandate that, due to the mix of temperature and humidity level we receive.

The obese I drive less often probably require it, but I think the Pontiac would start nearly any time with or without priming. The Lincoln on the other hand, when I first got it, ALWAYS required priming unless it had already been ran in the last ten hours.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

When The-Dullahan retires at night he pulls the counterpane all the way up to his shoulders ............
    The-Dullahan and The-Dullahan like this.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ .... that's only after he is through playing with his lead soldiers on the counterpane!
    The-Dullahan and The-Dullahan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    In that case, we should probably also mention the windscreen (which one looks out to drive) and the repeater (which tells others of your intention to turn)
    Those are not repeaters. A Repeater is a small compact crossbow that can fire two bolts in rapid succession before requiring reload. Those lamps on the sides of the car to indicate the direction you intend to turn are called "Blinkers". Contrary to popular belief, the device used to activate them is not a rod, but a stick. It's proper title is a Blinkerstick.

When The-Dullahan retires at night he pulls the counterpane all the way up to his shoulders ............
    The-Dullahan does not retire at night. Even so, I sleep very, very rarely, so my counterpane remains for the most part entirely untouched.

Dave's on key, but all of my little lead knights went away with my childhood, so I've not had them for a good two decades.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.