Radio problem with my 88 Chevy Celebrity
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By vincentm
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Radio problem with my 88 Chevy Celebrity in General Discussion; I'm not subscribing to another forum and i know the folks here know more than just Cadillacs. Here's my dilema ...
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Radio problem with my 88 Chevy Celebrity

I'm not subscribing to another forum and i know the folks here know more than just Cadillacs. Here's my dilema

Original radio (when i got the car) had pioneer single din tape deck. Last weekend i had a Pioneer DEH-150MP installed. Problem is that for some reason the 20a fuse marked CTSY keeps blowing and i'm not sure how to fix it. I have an appointment to have the shop fix it today but since they screwed this up, my gut feeling is to not trust them (they screwed up my radio install on the Eldo but have since changed owners, etc which is why i went to them this time)

Id prefer to fix this myself, what can i check for? Alldata doesn't say crap, it only gives the location for the fuse panel:

Here's the blown fuse:

Here's the use panel

I'm suspecting the cigarette lighter but have some metal stuck in it causing it to short somehow blowing the fuse..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Radio problem with my 88 Chevy Celebrity

That fuse powers the interior lights, head unit, and the cig lighter. If everything worked fine before the install, it might just be that the different HU draws more than the factory and you need a larger fuse (or run the HU on it's own source). Not sure if your new HU is big and fancy or not...It could, however, be a ground problem or short as well - so don't blindly throw larger fuses in without properly diagnosing. Does the fuse blow when the HU is on and interior lights are off (or vice versa?) EDIT: you know that your cig lighter is shorting... disconnect it or remove the piece of metal and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    That fuse powers the interior lights, head unit, and the cig lighter. If everything worked fine before the install, it might just be that the different HU draws more than the factory and you need a larger fuse (or run the HU on it's own source). Not sure if your new HU is big and fancy or not...It could, however, be a ground problem or short as well - so don't blindly throw larger fuses in without properly diagnosing. Does the fuse blow when the HU is on and interior lights are off (or vice versa?) EDIT: you know that your cig lighter is shorting... disconnect it or remove the piece of metal and try again.
    If i replace the fuse with another 20a the radio works and i even get the "key on" chime (something i didn't get before when i obtained the vehicle) but if i turn the car off and and back on a few hours later the radio doesn't power on and the fuse is blown again, as you said id rather fix it properly than tossing in a bigger fuse

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Did you check for the old "penny in the lighter socket" trick?
    A larger fuse will still blow with a direct short.
    Some cell phone chargers will push the positive prongs into the outer ground.
    Try unplugging the lighter socket first.
    If you can't find anything, it should be easy enough in that car to tap into a main hot going into the fuse panel and use an inline fuse & go directly to the radio.

----------

Update:
    Just checked Mitchell.
    The yellow power wire goes to the radio fuse which should probably go to the red wire on an aftermarket radio.
    The orange wire goes to the CTSY fuse and is for keep-alive on the stock radio & should prob go to a yellow lead on the aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Did you check for the old "penny in the lighter socket" trick?
    A larger fuse will still blow with a direct short.
    Some cell phone chargers will push the positive prongs into the outer ground.
    Try unplugging the lighter socket first.
    If you can't find anything, it should be easy enough in that car to tap into a main hot going into the fuse panel and use an inline fuse & go directly to the radio.

----------

Update:
    Just checked Mitchell.
    The yellow power wire goes to the radio fuse which should probably go to the red wire on an aftermarket radio.
    The orange wire goes to the CTSY fuse and is for keep-alive on the stock radio & should prob go to a yellow lead on the aftermarket.
    I have the tools to remove the radio the y just lide in on the sides of it and out it comes. I'll check the wiring when i get home from work, thanks

Bent tabs in the cigarette lighter causing the neg and pos wires connected to it to cross and thus short. Problem.solved. i'll order a new one on rock auto
    Jesda and Jesda like this.

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.