How to explain gear changes to my girlfriend
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, How to explain gear changes to my girlfriend in General Discussion; Okay so I have been trying to teach my girlfriend how to drive a standard car, but we don't make ...
    MattHatlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS

How to explain gear changes to my girlfriend

Okay so I have been trying to teach my girlfriend how to drive a standard car, but we don't make it far into the lesson because every time I tell her anything she immediately asks "why?". For example we were driving down the road and I was explaining that when you reach a certain RPM you need to change gears. Of course her response was "why?" I looked at her and tried to explain it (using the analogy of riding a bike) this just confused her. How else do I explain why you need to change gears in a car to someone who doesn't know anything about cars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: How to explain gear changes to my girlfriend

http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm
    see if you can get her to read/watch this and understand it
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

And she doesn't understand the bike example? I would put her on a 10-speed and let her try to ride it in one gear. Tell her she is the engine and explain why she has to shift to make it easier to ride. Don't try to get into gear ratios, power curves etc.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    Get a new girlfriend.
    Koooop, Koooop, 77CDV and 3 others like this.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

I've taught many girls many things over the years but driving a stick is not one of them.
    It will probably result in clutch/trans damage. Not just because it's a girl, either. Most people will never learn.
    I do compliment you on knowing how at 16, though.
    Get her an automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    Get a new girlfriend.
    ^Or this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Get her an automatic.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Since she is asking you questions I have to assume she is thinking enough about it to care about learning so I am going to side with the g.f.

She probably needs some one else to teach her that knows more about it and can explain her questions to her so that she can understand things.
    orconn and orconn like this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    I think everyone should be taught to drive standard.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    She probably needs some one else to teach her that knows more about it and can explain her questions to her so that she can understand things.
    Oh snap! You can't say something like that to a guy!

But don't worry MattHatlee, your GF is probably otherwise perfectly happy with the size of your brain.

Lol it wasnt meant that way

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    Since she is asking you questions I have to assume she is thinking enough about it to care about learning so I am going to side with the g.f.

Are you volunteering?

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Oh, come on, my chauvinist piglet, Forums friends! You act like teaching on of the opposite sex to drive stick shift is tantamount to a major break through in feminine accomplishment. Let me just say that I have taught three young ladies how to drive a car equipped with a manual transmission. The first accomplished the "daunting " task on a 1958 Jaguar XK 150 drop head coupe ((for those not familiar with four speed Moss boxes, they are equipped with a synchronized first gear (and, oh my, neither is reverse), only 2nd, 3rd and fourth are synchronized)). This famous gear box has given many a man difficulties over the years!

The second mastered the five speed manual on our 1983 VW Scirocco (it had all synchronized gears) and enjoyed manual gear shift driving so much she chose to use the car for her 45 mile (each way) daily commute, in L.A. traffic, for over a year.

The third was a bit slower on the uptake but nevertheless mastered a six speed Mercedes all synchro box (not one of the smoothest, easiest units) and while not really enjoying the effort could drive it passably in a pinch.

All three caught to the fact and concept that the clutch was used to disconnect the engine from the transmission thus allowing a smooth movement of the gear lever from neutral to the desired gear. They also quickly caught on the idea that releasing the clutch (by easing pressure on same) the engine was again connected to the transmission and the drive wheels. The co-ordination to accomplish these mechanizations was also quickly accomplished as through trial and error they learned to add gas as the they released the clutch.

I realize that for a few generations, now, the skilled use of a manual transmission has eluded many a male, and thus the teaching of this minor skill to females may prove difficult. Just remember your grandmother drove a stick shift car for decades before you were born and managed this feat while raising your relatives!

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Tell her in woman speak. If she doesn't that fries the engine and trans, and NO SHOPPING FOR HER!

Seriously though, the bike riding idea is good.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Are you volunteering?
    If they were closer I might or I know some one that could

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Here's how I've explained/demonstrated it to my friends:

After using the bicycle analogy to explain that an engine, like your legs, can only turn so fast, and doesn't have infinite power, I get in the car with them, put it in first, and accelerate. When first accelerating, I jab the throttle for a second a couple of times, and explain that "first gear is great for acceleration, buuuut..." then continue to accelerate to ~20-30 MPH. With the engine revving pretty quickly, I point out that "this is about as fast as you can go in first. The engine can't go any faster, it's spinning that fast for no reason, and that'll not only cause wear and damage, but you'd go through gas like crazy." Then I shift into second or third, and point out that the RPMs are in an acceptable range, and the car can maintain speed, and even still accelerate.

Then I slow back down to ~5-10 MPH, shift to a high gear, and try to accelerate. Obviously, not much acceleration is going on, and the engine might even have trouble holding the current speed. I explain, "now the engine's turning too slowly to make enough power to accelerate".

You don't have to demonstrate each gear individually, just show each end of the spectrum (high speeds in low gear, and low speeds in high gear), and show that shifting into the next gear as RPMs increase, allows speed to increase, but keeps the RPMs in about the same range (use whatever wording you see fit to explain). Usually they get the idea after that.

Demonstrating that the clutch connects/disconnects the engine and transmission is easy. Just come to a stop in gear with the clutch down. Wheels stopped - engine turning. Then come to a stop again, in gear, clutch up. Obviously, it will stall. Wheels stopped - engine stopped.

Once the basic concept is understood, you can give a simple explanation of power band. "The engine makes more power as RPM increases... to a point. Since it takes less power to maintain speed than it does to accelerate, you can keep the RPMs lower when cruising, and when you want to accelerate quicker, downshift so the RPMs are higher"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.