How to explain gear changes to my girlfriend - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, How to explain gear changes to my girlfriend in General Discussion; Originally Posted by The-Dullahan Get a new girlfriend. Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS I've taught many girls many things ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: How to explain gear changes to my girlfriend

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    Get a new girlfriend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    I've taught many girls many things over the years but driving a stick is not one of them.
    It will probably result in clutch/trans damage. Not just because it's a girl, either. Most people will never learn.
    I do compliment you on knowing how at 16, though.
    Get her an automatic.

^Or this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Get her an automatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    Since she is asking you questions I have to assume she is thinking enough about it to care about learning so I am going to side with the g.f.

She probably needs some one else to teach her that knows more about it and can explain her questions to her so that she can understand things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Oh snap! You can't say something like that to a guy!

But don't worry MattHatlee, your GF is probably otherwise perfectly happy with the size of your brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    Tell her in woman speak. If she doesn't that fries the engine and trans, and NO SHOPPING FOR HER!

Seriously though, the bike riding idea is good.
    ....I see this thread ending up in a bad place.....

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    ....I see this thread ending up in a bad place.....
    I thought I was quite diplomatic.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    I thought I was quite diplomatic.
    I just know you guys enough to see through your "diplomacy".....

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    I've never taught anyone to drive an automatic. Maybe that is the problem. Go have THAT person fix their own mess.

No, I am with CTSCHICK on this. Maybe have someone else teach her.

Anyone turning this into a gender thing is absurd.

Of everyone I have ever taught to drive (too many to count), none of them learned in an automatic. However, every single one of them was a girl. Women are no worse at learning this than men are.

My little sister got her license only thirty minutes after her first and ONLY driving lesson. The entire lesson was 15 minutes. Today, she has no problem driving an automatic or standard and has even raced in several track cars and my adoptive sister's Lamborghini. Likewise, she ia probably the safest driver I will ever meet.

Gender is irrelevant. It comes down to the teacher and the student.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Should be ok as long as the girlfriend doesn't wander through here. If she does, we could have another Ralsworth type of situation on our hands....

Nah,,,,,this thread was pretty mild in relation.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    Who is this "Ralsworth" and why does everyone keep talking about them?

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

This should be required reading for all new members -
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...511-hello.html

Sorry to hijack!!

MattHatlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK
    Since she is asking you questions I have to assume she is thinking enough about it to care about learning so I am going to side with the g.f.
    She isn't asking. She hates the idea that she has to actually put work into driving haha. I'm getting another car somewhat soon and it's going to be manual. And instead of her learning on my future car minds well teach her on a beater (the car that I learned on as well)

----------

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan
    I think everyone should be taught to drive standard.
    I couldn't agree more.

----------

I think I should add that my girlfriend isn't the type who likes to learn new things. She doesn't like to learn about things that she doesn't have to do frequently. If it weren't for me she probably wouldn't even know how to put windshield wiper fluid in a car. Haha. So she wasn't to excited to begin learning how to drive standard. So with that said I could assure you my knowledge on how to drive standard is not the problem. I have taught 4 people how to drive standard. All picked it up within the first few hours. But I have probably spent a good hour and a half just explaining to my girlfriend the point of driving a manual car. I think she is scared to break something. Even though the car I'm teaching her on is a beater I do still drive it around for fun sometimes just because my daily driver isn't manual and I miss it sometimes. So maybe my best bet would be to go on Craigslist or something and buy a $500 piece of junk and teach her on that. And after she learns ill turn the thing into a rally car

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Doesn't sound like she a car chick then and you can't force that on to a chick.
    Dunno why it is a priority for her to have to know how to drive your car when she can always get her own car with an automatic.

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by MattHatlee View Post
    She isn't asking. She hates the idea that she has to actually put work into driving haha. I'm getting another car somewhat soon and it's going to be manual. And instead of her learning on my future car minds well teach her on a beater (the car that I learned on as well)

----------

I couldn't agree more.

----------

I think I should add that my girlfriend isn't the type who likes to learn new things. She doesn't like to learn about things that she doesn't have to do frequently. If it weren't for me she probably wouldn't even know how to put windshield wiper fluid in a car. Haha. So she wasn't to excited to begin learning how to drive standard. So with that said I could assure you my knowledge on how to drive standard is not the problem. I have taught 4 people how to drive standard. All picked it up within the first few hours. But I have probably spent a good hour and a half just explaining to my girlfriend the point of driving a manual car. I think she is scared to break something. Even though the car I'm teaching her on is a beater I do still drive it around for fun sometimes just because my daily driver isn't manual and I miss it sometimes. So maybe my best bet would be to go on Craigslist or something and buy a $500 piece of junk and teach her on that. And after she learns ill turn the thing into a rally car
    I would be concerned about the future of anyone that doesn't want to put work into anything and doesn't want to learn new things. How does she feel about flipping burgers her entire life? I'm not being mean, at my age I've seen the results of attitudes like that. Hopefully she will grow out of it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I just know you guys enough to see through your "diplomacy".....

Good thing I thought twice and edited my first post.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    I would be concerned about the future of anyone that doesn't want to put work into anything and doesn't want to learn new things. How does she feel about flipping burgers her entire life? I'm not being mean, at my age I've seen the results of attitudes like that. Hopefully she will grow out of it.
    there are MANY people MUCH more successful than you that never cared to learn to drive a manual trans, bro. Apparently they made a good decision when they determined they had better, more influential and important things to do.

MattHatlee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Seville STS
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK
    Doesn't sound like she a car chick then and you can't force that on to a chick.
    Dunno why it is a priority for her to have to know how to drive your car when she can always get her own car with an automatic.
    She needs to know how to drive my car because she doesn't have one of her own. Her mom won't let her get one :/

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    there are MANY people MUCH more successful than you that never cared to learn to drive a manual trans, bro. Apparently they made a good decision when they determined they had better, more influential and important things to do.
    I totally agree. My post mentions nothing about driving a manual. it's about attitude.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Exactly. The attitude is my point - she doesn't want to put effort into an unnecessary extracurricular that she obviously doesn't feel she'll benefit from. Sounds reasonable to me. Not sure how we can determine she has a poor work ethic based on this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.