Car and driver-- Honda accord only 2nd best
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Car and driver-- Honda accord only 2nd best in General Discussion; ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Car and driver-- Honda accord only 2nd best

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Regular readers of this magazine may wonder why a “two” appears next to the Accord’s name above. Maybe you should sit down—breathe normally, through your nose. It has just lost.
    so.. first the 3 series, now the accord.

the world as such is officially comming to an end.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: Car and driver-- Honda accord only 2nd best

Mazda is churning out some fantastic cars and CUVs these days. In the same issue, the CX5 won C&Ds comparison of small-wheel-drive SUVs.

The Camry has been an overrated loser for the past decade.
    77CDV, 77CDV, Stingroo and 1 others like this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    My aunt has a 2013 EX-L, fantastic car. I think Honda should have offered an EX Sport (or 4 cylinder Touring), as the existing Sport is essentially an LX.

When the current Accord was introduced, one of the automotive magazines stated "Honda wants to be Honda again". Hopefully that trend continues, and the Accord moves back slightly towards the sportier side of the family sedan market.

afaik, the 'sport' edition does have some extra sporting aspirations in the respect of a better exhaust and firmer spring rates?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It's an LX+

- A 6 speed manual, or the CVT with paddle shifters.
    - 18's.
    - Fog lights.
    -A spoiler.
    - Dual outlet exhaust.
    - 4 more HP, 1 more FT/LB of torque.
    - Leather wrapped steering wheel.
    - 10 way power drivers seat.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

so.. first the 3 series, now the accord.

the world as such is officially comming to an end.
    I really, really like the new Accord. It's a very good car and drives very well. And it looks great. But the 6 looks even better and has a very nice interior, albeit a little less room. But both have more than enough room. Alas, I have not driven a 6 yet.

No shame for either car.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

I saw this thread come up a few days ago and have not had time yet to put my two cents in.

The new Accord is a fantastic sedan, probably the best balanced offering in it's class. It drives well, it's very spacious inside, it's well equipped, it's comfortable and offers a smooth, compliant ride and it's handling still "bites". The exterior and interior was completely refreshed for 2013 and it's a much needed change from the 2008-12 Accord. It's a very elegant design that really echoes the Hyundai Genesis in the rear end, while keeping a unique look from the front and in profile. The interior is clean cut and handsome, with enough space to be classified as a full size.

The Mazda 6 is gorgeous, the best looking car in the class. It looks like it was designed in Turin, not Nagasaki. The 6 is not as quite as large as the Accord internally and it doesn't have the smooth ride like the Accord, but it's a little sportier and the design is a little more attention grabbing, which is why I understand it won that comparison. Also, having the traditional automatic against Accord's CVT won it some brownie points as well.

Speaking of CVT, working at a Nissan dealership, I hated the CVT they used. It was very noisy and felt like a rubber band, whereas the engine would rev way up to it's peak power, then it felt like the transmission would catch up. With Honda's CVT, it feels much more like a traditional automatic transmission, as the engine doesn't rev way up before the car starts accelerating. Under normal acceleration, it feels like a traditional automatic transmission, but only under heavier throttle does it start to show it's CVT genetics, but it's not as noisy as Nissan's CVT.

Honda's also has a Sport mode in the LX/EX/EX-L sedan four cylinder that will hold the RPM's in the 3000 range, which gives noticeably better acceleration. In the Accord Sport and 4 cylinder Coupe models, the CVT also includes paddle shifters which really make it feel like a traditional model.

I wouldn't buy a CVT in a Nissan, but I would in a Honda.

Speaking of which, I will be leasing an Accord LX Sedan soon. I've got my eyes set on a Basque Red Pearl II with the Ivory cloth interior. I thought about going to a Sport, but that would increase my payments about $25/mo. I can't justify that...the only things I really feel I gain are the paddle shifters, dual exhaust and power driver's seat. But, I don't like the fact that the Sport only comes with the black interior.

Perhaps I could go to a Coupe as well, I've never had a coupe. But I wonder how much my payments would jump there. I really like the idea of a coupe with the six speed manual, but those only come in black/black and I swore I'd never own a black car....they're never clean.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Interesting thread.

I've owned multiple examples of Accords, also owned 2 Mazda 6's, and I've driven the new Mazda 6.

I thought Honda lost its way on interior design with the launch of the 2003 body on the Accord. Ridiculous HVAC controls and radio buttons and the sight lines had all risen, losing that glorious go kart experience. I owned an 03 and 02 side by side. The 03 was quieter, more luxurious, but I hated it.
    The 02 seemed to use better materials and had much nicer, lower beltlines.

My Mazda 6's definitely used cheap materials .... too many hard materials, and rust was a problem. I own an 04, and also had an 09.

My friend owns the local Mazda store, so he gave me a new Mazda6 to drive. Much nicer car, incredibly tight, almost didn't miss the absence of a 6cyl motor.
    Great looking car, too bad we require the front license plate up here, which kind of ruins that amazing front grill.

I haven't driven the new Accord yet, but until now, every magazine rates this car top of the class in driving experience.

Chad, you and Jesda would know better than anyone here, the long term cost of ownership of an Accord vs Mazda 6.
    As good as the new 6 is, I wonder which car will retain its value better. Historically, Honda has always been the class leader in
    resale value. You must love it when you're appraising the value of an Accord that has just come in on trade ... you know you won't be
    insulting the car's owner.

Chad, I'm guessing you're getting the Accord to replace the beater LeSabre?

I thought you sold Kia's, which would make an Optima a logical purchase. Do you sell Hondas as well?

The Accord's sucess has always been perplexing.
    The design always evolutionary never revolutionary, and in a trend of swooping fastbacks and strong competition the Accord has held firm to a traditional 3 box design that can be best described as plain among such wonderful creations as the Fusion, or at the very least the Optima. if you find the accord preferable to an aston-martin ripoff, I really don't know where I should begin.

Honda's also has a Sport mode in the LX/EX/EX-L sedan four cylinder that will hold the RPM's in the 3000 range, which gives noticeably better acceleration. In the Accord Sport and 4 cylinder Coupe models, the CVT also includes paddle shifters which really make it feel like a traditional model
    CVT and sport do not belong in the same sentence, ever. No matter what tinsel they dress it with it's underlying consideration will always be for fuel economy, and it will always fall short to a conventional transmission in all other circumstances except such. The problem is, the Accord traditionally has always been about excellent driving dynamics and of a car that also does it all.

Honda has clearly forgotten this, and it's loss proves it. The question is whether Honda will follow in the footsteps of GM and continue to worsen, relying on it's brand names rather than it's cars until one day, it'll find itself suddeny more than a few ticks from the top of the food-chain.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    The Accord's sucess has always been perplexing.
    The design always evolutionary never revolutionary, and in a trend of swooping fastbacks and strong competition the Accord has held firm to a traditional 3 box design that can be best described as plain among such wonderful creations as the Fusion, or at the very least the Optima. if you find the accord preferable to an aston-martin ripoff, I really don't know where I should begin.

CVT and sport do not belong in the same sentence, ever. No matter what tinsel they dress it with it's underlying consideration will always be for fuel economy, and it will always fall short to a conventional transmission in all other circumstances except such. The problem is, the Accord traditionally has always been about excellent driving dynamics and of a car that also does it all.

Honda has clearly forgotten this, and it's loss proves it. The question is whether Honda will follow in the footsteps of GM and continue to worsen, relying on it's brand names rather than it's cars until one day, it'll find itself suddeny more than a few ticks from the top of the food-chain.
    Can't disagree more.

The Honda Sport is giving a little bit of oomph with a nicer, more muscular stance. If you're gonna complain about a CVT, complain about an automatic. The CVT in the Accord is at least as good. But, yet, they offer a manual.

As for looks, I think the Sport looks great, much nicer than the regular Accord, which I like as well. As for the Fusion, that is an awful pile of swill. The nose is fine...if you don't get a base model, but the rest is an afterthought. The profile is slabsided junk and the back end looks just like the Focus and Fiesta, except cheaper. And even though its got a monster wheelbase, it has poor rear seat room and lacking headroom.

Which all comes back to the point. Honda NAILS it. All the magazines love the car. It gets great economy but is still a pleasure to drive. It looks good, it has a ton of room, it is ergonomically excellent, it is a bargain and it has great resale. It has the broadest appeal of any car in the segment.

The 6 is certainly the best looking in its class and the best handling. The backseat room is good, not great. And its more expensive than the Accord.

----------

As for "loss", that's stupid. Honda likes to have a good showing in an enthusiast comparo, which it got. I doubt they're sweating losing to the 6 here. Mazda would be happy to sell 1/7 the number of 6s to Accords...

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

For my money, I'd take a Mazda 6 or a Kia Optima, CPO because they do depreciate faster than Honda and Toyota. Let someone else take the initial hit. Mazda is planning a production facility in Mexico to avoid currency exchange and shipping costs which should also allow them to reduce MSRPs.

For everyone else, I'd recommend the new Accord. It's a well-balanced package that pleases 80% of the population. The manual Accord coupe is extremely charming.

Meanwhile at Chevrolet, the Malibu is quickly becoming a fleet queen, taking the Impala's former place as a fairly undesirable "bulk buy" automobile.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

Yeah, I'm disappointed how that new Malibu turned out. It had so much promise in 2007, but now it's diminished into the rental rocket it was before 2007.

I like the Manual Accord Coupe, I really considered leasing the entry level LX-S Manual transmission, but it's only available in Black/Black.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Maybe I can get a cheap lease on a '13 Malibu...

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Maybe I can get a cheap lease on a '13 Malibu...
    Probably can, just read they are restyling it for 2014 due to bad reception of the '13 models styling.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Probably can, just read they are restyling it for 2014 due to bad reception of the '13 models styling.
    This for me, is a giant leap for GM. Responding as quickly as they did is new for them.

On top of that, it does look way better. More edgy like the previous generation, not octogenerian like the first half of the current one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.