worst car fad
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, worst car fad in General Discussion; Spinners. Those damned spinning rims were so gross. I was in high school when they became popular, and EVERYONE at ...
    Tony Alvarado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville sts

worst car fad

Spinners. Those damned spinning rims were so gross. I was in high school when they became popular, and EVERYONE at my school was in love with em... except me. "they keep spinning, even when you stop!" I hated those chromed turds from day one. Haha. I suppose we've all seen a perfectly good car ruined by some weak fad at some time. Any worse than the dreaded spinning twenty inch rim though?
    Faith76 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: worst car fad

I'd say the HUGE wheel fad is way worse than the spinner. You have to completely hack the car to hell to get these to fit, then it looks like a 4wd truck. At least with those spinner wheels you could take them off with no problems. Also notice the shop is called "rent-a-wheel". If you actually pay the whole loan amount you end up paying $10,000 for a $5000 set of wheels. Needless to say if you see an old Cadillac in the hood with its wheels gone, its more likely they were repossessed than stolen.

Rolex, Rolex, EcSTSatic and 3 others like this.

BlazerZR5 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): none

^we have "rent&roll" here. Hahaha!! why's it gotta be the hood? I've seen them repo wheels in the mall parking lot across the street from my work! lol.

The worst fad I can think of is candy paint jobs. I've seen some sought after cars painted clown colors usually the candy paint accompanies the spinner wheels,tonka truck lift,and trimming for clearance tho.

another one I'm starting to see locally among the euro guys is hoods that the paint has been stripped,and allowed to rust..so you'll see a nice shiny Audi/VW with a rusty hood.looks awful IMO
    lacville78 and lacville78 like this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You gotta have wings to keep all that horsepower at the rear wheels plastered to the ground at 30 mph ...........
    lacville78 and lacville78 like this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    You gotta have wings to keep all that horsepower at the rear wheels plastered to the ground at 30 mph ...........
    If they turn too fast, they'll break the front bumper on the ground.

I hate the F+F/ NFS underground look that it seems alot of people do to their cars...pick the ugliest body kit, the biggest wing, big rims, paint it the most garish color you can find, then plaster it with racing decals, tribal vinyls, and tint you got off the discount rack because no one else wanted that color that you then install incorrectly (or if it has a mirror fade on half of it, be sure to install the mirrored part facing the wrong way on every piece of glass (bonus points for putting the mirror at the bottom or on one of the sides instead of at the top on only 1 window).)

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Ricers were a big fad in the early 2000's, but is dying off now. After about 2007 or so, modified sport compacts are getting very hard to find. I of course did not understand the idea of putting all this bodywork on a car with 118 hp and never modifying the engine.

Donks are a terrible look, but aren't as widespread as ricers were. Donks of course are limited to the more "urban" areas. Nothing annoys me more than a clean classic full size car getting the "ghetto" treatment. Leave them stock!

As far as OEM trends, I don't like hybrids or electric vehicles. A small diesel engine will often get mileage as good as a hybrid if not better, but doesn't appeal to the green crowd as much. Plus, diesels are awesome.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Hellaflush.

God I hate that stuff.
    01devilledts likes this.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

The current fad in automobile styling. The high side, slit window and so called "coupe" styling of just about any sedan out there today is not only monotonous, but the shapes are all so similar that one has to look closely at the "lipstick" on the pigs to tell who the culprit who foisted the ugly creation on us really is!

I had a longer than usual drive in traffic the other day and was struck with the unrelenting repetition on truly ugly designs. First we had "Mac Mansions" in all their "kitschy" glory, now we have cars that, for all price differences, look like Prius clones. Shame on the auto industry to degrade our visual environment this way!
    bigm57ict, bigm57ict and Faith76 like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Fart can mufflers!

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

I know this is a big one but I never got it.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

What about that fad where people actually drove TOYOTA products...like...on purpose.
    lacville78, lacville78 and Faith76 like this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS
    I definitely appreciate the massive amount of work that goes into lowriders and think they are things of beauty (shag interiors and chain wheels excluded), but I never got the point of hopping your car 6 feet in the air and destroying it in the process.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I definitely appreciate the massive amount of work that goes into lowriders and think they are things of beauty (shag interiors and chain wheels excluded), but I never got the point of hopping your car 6 feet in the air and destroying it in the process.
    ^Sí.
    If I'm gonna bounce & damage my car, it's gonna be through engine torque!

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I think the low riders extremes of function are like so many things we humans pursue. If it can be done, or more to the point if people tell us it can't be done, then we will strive to do it.

There are so many things which make no sense which we slavishly desire and work so hard to own. Some of it is to fit into a group, and to gain esteem of others by our accomplishment or possession of these things or their acting out in our behavior. I say as long as it doesn't hurt others and keeps people striving for the ultimate then let it be. Far be it from me to what others like .... unless they seek to impose it on me!

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post

That's been around for decades, i actually like the Lowrider scene, it's better than donk mobiles, or pokemon ricer import crap..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.