Cadillac Owners Forum banner

worst car fad

26K views 162 replies 37 participants last post by  The-Dullahan 
#1 ·
Spinners. Those damned spinning rims were so gross. I was in high school when they became popular, and EVERYONE at my school was in love with em... except me. "they keep spinning, even when you stop!" I hated those chromed turds from day one. Haha. I suppose we've all seen a perfectly good car ruined by some weak fad at some time. Any worse than the dreaded spinning twenty inch rim though?

#116 ·
"RIP Mikey 10/1/2004" sticker in the back window.

These are depressing.

#118 ·
My "Perot '92" bumper sticker on the back of my '91 LeSabre is period correct and awesome. I've gotten tons of compliments on that.

#122 ·
thebigjimsho said:
Or the "In Loving Memory" stickers. I always feel that you should actually be doing something about the memory. Like, having this fundraiser "in loving memory". Not driving this hoopty "in loving memory"...
And I've seen people selling cars on CL with the RIP/ loving memory in the back window and them asking that the new owner keeps it on (and it's usually a beater car)

#123 ·
This wouldn't be the worst car fad, but it is an extremely tired overused fad. That would be pickup truck's and SUV's with loud exhaust systems, because it seems like everyone and their grandmother has one. Then to add to the over-compensating discussion, would be dually pickups with semi wheels and tires with a large exhaust tip, or stacks spewing black smoke from it. Oh and don't forget the "Bully Dog" or "No Fear" sticker on the back window.

#124 ·
This wouldn't be the worst car fad, but it is an extremely tired overused fad. That would be pickup truck's and SUV's with loud exhaust systems
I have a neighbor with a loud exhaust on a Hummer, but in their case it is rather fitting. You'd have to know them.

Or the "In Loving Memory" stickers.
Never seen one of those. It does seem rather tacky.

#137 ·
I have an 'In Loving Memory' decal for my dad on my car, but mostly because of all the memories we shared because of it.

Different strokes for different folks. :noidea:
It's not the reason, Roo. It's the wording. What is being done in loving memory??? Driving to the store for milk? Putting a sticker on my car?

#129 ·
My LS2 SUV sounds great with the fart can on it!

In your face!

Woohoo!

(I think I'll get me some stick on vents for the fenders)

#130 ·
Do you have a Chevy Trailblazer SS? Those are pretty nice and an LS2 is a performance motor, so a free-flowing exhaust system would work well with it. When I say pickup and SUV, I'm talking regular non-performance trucks with a noisy exhaust.

----------

I have a neighbor with a loud exhaust on a Hummer, but in their case it is rather fitting. You'd have to know them.
Let me guess, they are noisy obnoxious neighbors?

----------

I killed the thread!

*CLEAR*

Seriously annoying car trend: LED lights. Not even just the aftermarket ones. God damn it, not every car needs 50 light bulbs on its front end. Stop that, automakers. Just stop it.
I got to agree, the auto manufacturers are over-doing the use of LED lights, sometimes to the point of tackiness.

#131 ·
Do you know what trend needs to come back? White wall tires, hood ornaments and vinyl tops.

#135 · (Edited)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Not vinyl tops!

----------

I'm fascinated by how the Ford wagons were less vomit inducing for me than the others. Does Ford do a better job with them or are the non-wood versions so bad, the paneling helps rather than hurts?

----------

Anyone want to sign a petition to prevent post stacking once a "like" is given? Sting "liked" the anti-vinyl comment but the like stayed after the forum merged my next post about fake wood paneling. I mean what if Sting loved fake wood sides but now is branded as a wood panel hater in the minds of other forum goers because of his "like".

I hope the forum doesn't stack this post or everyone will think Sting is in favor of the petition.

#133 ·
Stingroo said:
Vinyl tops can rot in hell where they belong.
Wood grain vinyl paneling?

----------

Black Beauty DTS said:
Do you have a Chevy Trailblazer SS? Those are pretty nice and an LS2 is a performance motor, so a free-flowing exhaust system would work well with it. When I say pickup and SUV, I'm talking regular non-performance trucks with a noisy exhaust.
Yes, but in reality it's a station wagon with a high center of gravity. The rice pipe sounds cool though.

#138 ·
There are appropriate places for personal loss, your back window sharing with folks that don't give a hoot isn't one if them IMO.

In actuality I like wood grain on wagons, it makes me laugh.

#139 ·
Koooop said:
There are appropriate places for personal loss, your back window sharing with folks that don't give a hoot isn't one if them IMO.

In actuality I like wood grain on wagons, it makes me laugh.
I don't mind wood grain, but IMO cars look better without it. Except for those god awful ford box wagons....those things needed all the panelling they could throw at them to hide the lack of character the cars had.

#144 · (Edited)
^You're all being morbid, talking about death and all...

I like it.

Not sure what kind of weird Cadillacs you've been driving, but having driven and experienced all of the body styles between the fifties and the FWD ones of today (of which I have not driven ALL, but experienced them all), I strongly disagree.

In fact, I believe Cadillac Hearses and Limousines (what civilized society drives/rides in) usually look G A Y without vinyl tops, regardless of age. From the early models to the upcoming 2014 lineup. Fact. Don't get me wrong. Some look GREAT without them. My sister's '69 looks cool, as does my brother's '79, but theirs were mildly customized in such ways as to compliment this.

Of course, to each their own. I like me some vinyl topped-Hearses/Limousines. Bare-topped ones look sort of funny, most of the time. It's acceptable on ambulances, but come on...who would drive an ambulance? That's crazy. Well, besides my other sister, I mean.

Also, anyone check out the upcoming Hearses? As usual, Superior is on the ball for their 2014 lineup. ALMOST makes me like modern Cadillacs...almost.

#141 ·
Vinyl makes a Bobcat Squire complete.

#142 ·
Vinyl roofs worked well on the first generation Seville, they also looked good on several coupe designs of the seventies, especially when they were of the landau variety.

Wide white walls were a pain in the butt. They were OK till you scuffed the curb and then they started looking tatty. Thank God for Bletchley's Tire White, before that came on the market it was strictly Brillo pads which really didn't do the job. Believe me I cleaned enough white walls on my parent's cars to make a big advocate of the thinner white walls that came in the seventies. White walls of any kind never looked good on Jaguars sports cars of Italian GT's of any type!

#145 ·
Often times a vinyl top is used to cover up 2nd rate coachwork.

I liked the vinyl tops on my 77-80 SDV's, and the Landau top on my 79 Eldorado.

#147 ·
vinyl top delete was an option that you paid extra for. I believe it required some special finish as well as some different trim around the back window. The body work under the vinyl top on a 76 was awful.

#148 ·
Koooop said:
vinyl top delete was an option that you paid extra for. I believe it required some special finish as well as some different trim around the back window. The body work under the vinyl top on a 76 was awful.
I agree on this. On my 86, you can feel the quarter panel to roof body seams under the top (and you can see them (if you are looking for them) if the lighting is right)....it's obvious that they didn't do that good of a job on the metalwork.....but it's ok. the vinyl top will hide it... almost

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.