Cadillac Owners Forum banner

worst car fad

26K views 162 replies 37 participants last post by  The-Dullahan 
#1 ·
Spinners. Those damned spinning rims were so gross. I was in high school when they became popular, and EVERYONE at my school was in love with em... except me. "they keep spinning, even when you stop!" I hated those chromed turds from day one. Haha. I suppose we've all seen a perfectly good car ruined by some weak fad at some time. Any worse than the dreaded spinning twenty inch rim though?

#81 ·
I got a friend with a Subaru outback, he's pumping bass nonstop. His rearview mirror won't hold any position, even with the stereo off and his roof racks are about falling off... I hate riding in his car, and every time he goes by some "cool lookin cats" he turns it up even louder. All you can hear from outside the car is the racks rattling. Haha.
I think hearing what's going on in and around the car is more important and interesting than ear crushing bass.

----------

And let's not destroy each others cars... you don't mess with a mans wheels. I wouldn't do it to my worst enemy, because there is likely kids depending on those wheels, and it just doesn't seem right. Don't take it out on the cars, they don't know no better. I like to turn up the tunes once in a while, but I try to be neighborly. Destroying property is not neighborly.

#84 ·
I can agree with Orconn. I am not a Rap fan, or a fan of disturbing the peace. A LOT of rap is disrespectful to women, men, particular individuals or racist.

A lot.

But a LOT of it isn't While I am not a real fan of rap and I can see that it has it's songs that are just vulgar or cruel, it has a lot that are not. Likewise, there are racist, vulgar or hateful themes in many other genres of music.

In a perfect world, everyone could just listen to a pure form of music, free of hate or vulgarity. Music with no use of profanity or cruelty.

Music like Black Metal.

#87 ·
FLAT BLACK -

everything painted flat-black -

back in the 60's and 70's the non-glare flat-black hood
actually had a purpose -

but now - EVERYTHING is painted flat-black -
car - wheels - taillights - headlights - any chrome trim -

to me - it looks like it got the first coat of black primer -
and the owner ran out of money -

there is NOTHING sharp about a car in primer -

G
#94 ·
The dual led lights on the hood by the washer fluid nozzle trend.
Glasspacks on any v8 sound like ass, If you want your car to sound like it has balls please change the camshaft and actually give the engine some balls.
v6's with loud aftermarket or lack of mufflers that sound like dump trucks.
Fart cans
Fender hash marks
Crusty Rusty rat rod's you built a cool looking car please give it a deserving paint job.
The take my crappy hubcaps off and show my crappy black steel wheels on my crappy family car trend
Donk'd out cars especially those sporting colors and logos of what ever company and name brand.
The ricer tow hitch trend
The guys with the modified cars that trailer them to the track just to drive them around like an ******* in the parking lot and never make a single pass, See a lot of that at Englishtown

Baby on Board and Transporting Show dog caution signs I still see a lot of those they expect everyone to be careful driving around their vehicles yet they are ones that drive like some of the biggest *******s I have ever seen on the road.
Same with the Minivan wanna be race cars with their stick figure families on the back window zig zagging lanes with no blinkers while their kids are watching t.v. in the back those *******s need to be pulled over and be charged with endangering their own children.

#96 ·
...Well said.

Those fake tow hitches on ricers. I had never seen one until recently, but all within the last month, I have seen a ton of them. It is a shame I do not ever stop my car any place aside from work or the occasional hardware store or whatnot, because if I went to go wherever people like that go, I would love the opportunity to stop the owner and ask about it and what it is for, playing it off as if I had no clue about it's supposed purpose. I am really curious what story they would try to feed me.

#102 ·
I'll believe that if you can find me a video of a flimsy aluminium tow point, attached directly to the fibreglass bumper of their body kit with two sheetrock screws pulling a car "out of the woods or a ditch".

As for stickers, some classicly overused and ludicrous nominees are

"My Other Car Is A [Topical Item]"

"Proud Parent of a [School nobody has ever heard of] Student/Honour Roll Student"

"[Polician/Year]" (especially if they did not win) Also look for any cliche about not liking the government.

"[General Religious Propaganda]" (Not to point fingers, but these are usually from those Christian people) Don't forget the "Jesus Fish"

The Southern "Stars And Bars" flag, which just advertises to the world that you are usually either racist, ignorant or some combination thereof.

"13.1" or "26.2" because apparently it is supposed to impress me that you know how long a Marathon is?

And one of my personal favourites,

"Sports Team that no one has heard of"

#103 ·
I'll believe that if you can find me a video of a flimsy aluminium tow point, attached directly to the fibreglass bumper of their body kit with two sheetrock screws pulling a car "out of the woods or a ditch".
OK. You win. But I did find this. I know it doesn't have that silly hitch but...

I like this one better:

----------

Since we're on the Rice subject, how about OVERSIZE mufflers/tailpipes on underpowered cars:

#97 ·
The-Dullahan said:
...Well said.

Those fake tow hitches on ricers. I had never seen one until recently, but all within the last month, I have seen a ton of them. It is a shame I do not ever stop my car any place aside from work or the occasional hardware store or whatnot, because if I went to go wherever people like that go, I would love the opportunity to stop the owner and ask about it and what it is for, playing it off as if I had no clue about it's supposed purpose. I am really curious what story they would try to feed me.
"Cuz it's a race car bro"

Or as one of my friends (who drives a clean turbo'd SC300) said "It means that you're a really bad driver and you need them because you keep going in the ditch or your car is a hunk of junk that keeps breaking down and needs to get towed all the time"

#101 ·
Yeah, when I moved back East and first saw those OBX stickers on the back of cars (usually on SUVs) I thought they meant the driver was an obstetrician! I thought people must be having a lot of babies in Northern Virginia!

The other car sticker thing so very prevalent on cars in NOVA was the college and university stickers that people stuck on there to tell everyone how well their kids had done getting into prestigious schools. I noticed there were a lot of Penn, Harvard and Princeton stickers but very few University of Virginia stickers. The I figured out that very kids from NOVA are admitted to UVA because if they just did their admissions based on merit their would be only kids from NOVA at UVA!

#107 · (Edited)
Hahaha, I was just tinkering with the idea of modding some extra factory wire wheel covers into spinners. (and technically the worst car fad is a tie between those stick figure rear window stickers on family cars that each represent a member (or even pet) of the driver's own nuclear family (I guess they are like the new "Baby on Board" and the Toyota Prius.

#111 · (Edited)
I'm going with the little chrome fender vents. They started out unique, kinda cool but took a turn to the dark side.

Fender vents on a Cadillac are just ridiculous.

Reactions: lacville78
#114 ·
I agree with orconn about the parents with their kids' school stickers.

I hate how everybody and their dog that goes to school has to get a giant ass Cowboy Joe sticker for their back glass. Sure. I get it. You like UW. But do you really need that big thing? They look stupid!

I have a UW sticker, but it's one of those thin ones that says UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING, and it's along the tint strip on my windshield. NOT OBNOXIOUS.

Even if I moved it to my rear windscreen, it would be acceptable for a college student like myself, or an alum. Not those stupid 3' by 2' Cowboy Joes. Don't overuse it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.