Cadillac Owners Forum banner

worst car fad

26K views 162 replies 37 participants last post by  The-Dullahan 
#1 ·
Spinners. Those damned spinning rims were so gross. I was in high school when they became popular, and EVERYONE at my school was in love with em... except me. "they keep spinning, even when you stop!" I hated those chromed turds from day one. Haha. I suppose we've all seen a perfectly good car ruined by some weak fad at some time. Any worse than the dreaded spinning twenty inch rim though?

#2 ·
I'd say the HUGE wheel fad is way worse than the spinner. You have to completely hack the car to hell to get these to fit, then it looks like a 4wd truck. At least with those spinner wheels you could take them off with no problems. Also notice the shop is called "rent-a-wheel". If you actually pay the whole loan amount you end up paying $10,000 for a $5000 set of wheels. Needless to say if you see an old Cadillac in the hood with its wheels gone, its more likely they were repossessed than stolen.

#3 ·
^we have "rent&roll" here. Hahaha!! why's it gotta be the hood? I've seen them repo wheels in the mall parking lot across the street from my work! lol.

The worst fad I can think of is candy paint jobs. I've seen some sought after cars painted clown colors:( usually the candy paint accompanies the spinner wheels,tonka truck lift,and trimming for clearance tho.

another one I'm starting to see locally among the euro guys is hoods that the paint has been stripped,and allowed to rust..so you'll see a nice shiny Audi/VW with a rusty hood.looks awful IMO

#5 ·
Submariner409 said:
You gotta have wings to keep all that horsepower at the rear wheels plastered to the ground at 30 mph ...........
If they turn too fast, they'll break the front bumper on the ground.

I hate the F+F/ NFS underground look that it seems alot of people do to their cars...pick the ugliest body kit, the biggest wing, big rims, paint it the most garish color you can find, then plaster it with racing decals, tribal vinyls, and tint you got off the discount rack because no one else wanted that color that you then install incorrectly (or if it has a mirror fade on half of it, be sure to install the mirrored part facing the wrong way on every piece of glass (bonus points for putting the mirror at the bottom or on one of the sides instead of at the top on only 1 window).)

#6 ·
Ricers were a big fad in the early 2000's, but is dying off now. After about 2007 or so, modified sport compacts are getting very hard to find. I of course did not understand the idea of putting all this bodywork on a car with 118 hp and never modifying the engine.

Donks are a terrible look, but aren't as widespread as ricers were. Donks of course are limited to the more "urban" areas. Nothing annoys me more than a clean classic full size car getting the "ghetto" treatment. Leave them stock!

As far as OEM trends, I don't like hybrids or electric vehicles. A small diesel engine will often get mileage as good as a hybrid if not better, but doesn't appeal to the green crowd as much. Plus, diesels are awesome.

#28 ·
The Lexus SC is "THE" hella-flush car right now. I can't tell you how many of these morons buy a tired or just plain junked out 90's SC for CHEAP. Their only mods are the huge wheels, and hacked to hell supsension. The rest of the car looks like ass with peeling paint, screwed up fender lips from where they tried to roll the fenders out, dents, fugged up headlights, trashed interiors, burnt out dash displays, etc

#8 ·
The current fad in automobile styling. The high side, slit window and so called "coupe" styling of just about any sedan out there today is not only monotonous, but the shapes are all so similar that one has to look closely at the "lipstick" on the pigs to tell who the culprit who foisted the ugly creation on us really is!

I had a longer than usual drive in traffic the other day and was struck with the unrelenting repetition on truly ugly designs. First we had "Mac Mansions" in all their "kitschy" glory, now we have cars that, for all price differences, look like Prius clones. Shame on the auto industry to degrade our visual environment this way!

#14 ·
I think the low riders extremes of function are like so many things we humans pursue. If it can be done, or more to the point if people tell us it can't be done, then we will strive to do it.

There are so many things which make no sense which we slavishly desire and work so hard to own. Some of it is to fit into a group, and to gain esteem of others by our accomplishment or possession of these things or their acting out in our behavior. I say as long as it doesn't hurt others and keeps people striving for the ultimate then let it be. Far be it from me to what others like .... unless they seek to impose it on me!

#27 ·
They make Moustaches. I saw one in Vegas at Whole Foods once (Which is where Hipsters shop. Hipsters like Moustaches and wear them as jewelry or printed on T-Shirts)

I saw it on a little Ford Focus with Washington plats, after the owner tried to berate me for my parking.

Google Image Search leads me to believe that the #1 Brand of Moustaches for Cars is called "Carstache".

Are you a Prius-Driving Hipster from San Francisco? A Sebring owner from Washington? Do you have "Ironic" fashion or an Apple logo tattoo? Do you enjoy taking a typewriter to Starbucks, but totally not for attention or anything? Then have we ever got the perfect product for you!

In hindsight, I have a friend with a large steel grille on his Brougham designed to resemble some fangs. However, his Brougham suffers from the same problem mine does in that it is nearly impossible to find a photograph of it without a naked woman, so I won't post it. In fact, I know two other Hearses with mouths.

#24 · (Edited)
Not sure if this counts as a "fad", but this is good a place as any to post these.

People that stick too much after market crap on their cars

A few years ago, I saw this ridiculous Geo Metro outside a gas station. Mismatched hubcaps from different makes, badging from random cars, ....and fender skirts. The driver was an older man, maybe in his 60's, apparently a former marine from what he was wearing, and some of the stickers on the cars..

A year or so later, same gas station, same spot, same driver. He's "upgraded". Still a metro, the even sadder convertible. Needless to say, he's stepped it up a few notches...

See how many different "accessories" you can count.

#29 ·
LED lights.
It's a great technology that has many good uses. That doesn't mean they are the best choice for any type of lighting.

I'm not only talking to the aftermarket. Many new cars are coming out with LEDs in the taillights and other places that are obviously only there because they are trendy, not because they are the best design.

You can also add bad HID conversions to this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.