worst car fad - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, worst car fad in General Discussion; People steal CBs?...
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    People steal CBs?

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Re: worst car fad

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    People steal CBs?
    Shhh. He's still livin' in the '80's.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Not what I consider worst, but funniest IMO was JC Whitney has "dummy CB antenna" to give your car "that CB look"!
    Great...now you too can get your window broken!
    Followed later by the fake car phone antenna.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

subwoofers - aka weapons of bass destruction. It's nothing but noise pollution. I can feel them when they are nearby. Why do people feel like they can impose their musical "taste" on everyone around them? i wish there was an effective way to enforce the city ordinance.

Section 7.41.010 Loud and unnecessary noise prohibited.
    (a) It is unlawful for any person to make, continue, or allow to be made or continued, any excessive, unnecessary, unusual or loud noise which creates a nuisance or injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health or safety of others, or which interferes with the use or enjoyment of property of any person of reasonable sensibilities residing in or occupying the area unless the making and continuing of such noise is necessary for the protection and preservation of property or the health and safety of some individual.
    (b) The following acts, which enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive, are hereby declared to be noise nuisances in violation of this section and are unlawful:
    (1) The playing or permitting or causing the playing of any radio, radio receiving set, television, phonograph, "boom box," loudspeaker, drum, juke box, nickelodeon, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device which produces, reproduces, or amplifies sound when done in such a manner or with such volume, intensity, or with continued duration so as to annoy, to distress, or to disturb the quiet, comfort, or repose of any person of reasonable sensibilities within the vicinity or hearing thereof. This subsection shall not apply to persons who have written authorization for an event which includes use of such a device, or to the police or public authorities who are using such a device in the performance of their duties.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Bass in yo face!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    People steal CBs?
    They did when they were selling the "dummies".

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Shhh. He's still livin' in the '80's.
    Yes, that was in the early 80's they were selling them. I don't think even Whitney could find buyers for them now.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by talismandave

They did when they were selling the "dummies".

Yes, that was in the early 80's they were selling them. I don't think even Whitney could find buyers for them now.
    Go up to the hood.....there's old farts up there in conversion vans and old trucks with 5 cb whips and all that other crap that JC Whitney used to sell (curb feelers, stick on chrome, additional side markers etc)

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Not what I consider worst, but funniest IMO was JC Whitney has "dummy CB antenna" to give your car "that CB look"!
    Whats a c.b.?, sorry ,couldn't resist. I actually had one in the 70's.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    subwoofers - aka weapons of bass destruction. It's nothing but noise pollution. I can feel them when they are nearby. Why do people feel like they can impose their musical "taste" on everyone around them? i wish there was an effective way to enforce the city ordinance.
    Amen!

I do find it amusing when I end up behind one which has various parts on the car buzzing and rattling - ready to fall off from the vibrations.

----------

I am also entertained by people with different priorites than I, when it comes to fixing up an old car.

I ended up next to a '78 Coupe Deville yesterday. It was in need of paint and body work. The fillers, of course, were shot. The engine was making noises it shouldn't. But he sure had a nice set of chrome wire rims and fancy red tint on the windows!
    EcSTSatic and EcSTSatic like this.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Section 7.41.010 Loud and unnecessary noise prohibited.
    (a) It is unlawful for any person to make, continue, or allow to be made or continued, any excessive, unnecessary, unusual or loud noise which creates a nuisance or injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health or safety of others, or which interferes with the use or enjoyment of property of any person of reasonable sensibilities residing in or occupying the area unless the making and continuing of such noise is necessary for the protection and preservation of property or the health and safety of some individual.
    (b) The following acts, which enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive, are hereby declared to be noise nuisances in violation of this section and are unlawful:
    (1) The playing or permitting or causing the playing of any radio, radio receiving set, television, phonograph, "boom box," loudspeaker, drum, juke box, nickelodeon, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device which produces, reproduces, or amplifies sound when done in such a manner or with such volume, intensity, or with continued duration so as to annoy, to distress, or to disturb the quiet, comfort, or repose of any person of reasonable sensibilities within the vicinity or hearing thereof. This subsection shall not apply to persons who have written authorization for an event which includes use of such a device, or to the police or public authorities who are using such a device in the performance of their duties.
    I run just one 10" sub and it hits hard. But most folks do it to compete in sound competitions. These cars don't bother me.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I suppose you could follow them and call the police. They'd have to respond and enforce the law.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I suppose you could follow them and call the police. They'd have to respond and enforce the law.
    If they ever park on my block and crank it up you can bet I will. I don't think the police would take me seriously if i said i was following a violator. They have more important things to do and i respect that.
    One summer at a big annual car show downtown, some guys thought they could cruise thru and blast away with their system. The cops came down hard on them and shut them down. We already had bands playing the event thank-you.

CadillacCastle is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

I can't stand the boom noise from those cars too. I was told about a solution to it, get a tazer gun and zap their car antenna and it will burn their high dollar noise maker up. I have not tried this but I will try it on my neighbors car. And there is no way to prove what happened. I was told the speaker mounting bolts are loosened to make the speakers more annoying. I called the police on a black truck that goes by my house making that noise and the Deputy Sheriff sent 2 cars to their house. I hope they get caught driving and drinking when they get pulled over because of the noise. A DWI will cost them at least 5,000.

----------

That is "short man syndrome". little man, big truck. I feel normal size at 6'1", my cousin is 6' 6".

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I feel my extensive audio system is justifiable, as I do not use it for that, though it is far larger and louder than the ghettoblasters I have ever seen. More often than not, I keep the volume incredibly low and regardless, I do not listen to that BOOM-BANG-BOOM crap that is called music nowadays. If I do turn it any higher, it is only marginally so and that is only if I am on the interstate and the windows are down, so there is ambient noise to cancel out. Realistically, I think I keep mine (normally) below where people keep their factory stereo systems...It just has far higher potential, which is only used in appropriate situations where it will not disturb others...And one time in a parking garage, where a friend turned it up and set off every car alarm at Universal Studios...

As for using an electrical weapon to attack the antenna and disable the system, that sounds entirely impossible, given how a typical electrical system works. Regardless, didn't they stop making cars without power antennas in like...1970?

----------

Last year, I saw a car with a bumper sticker over the rear window that said "I MISS DETROIT".

I broke his window out, stole the stereo unit, three speakers, all the change in the cupholders, broke his ignition lock, leaving the wires dangling to the floor and left a note that read "I hope this helps "

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Most motor cycles accelerating a little harder than necessary on city streets are louder than someone driving around with big subs. Nobody seems to complain about them. Either way, the noise only lasts a few seconds as they pass by.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacCastle
    I can't stand the boom noise from those cars too. I was told about a solution to it, get a tazer gun and zap their car antenna and it will burn their high dollar noise maker up. I have not tried this but I will try it on my neighbors car. And there is no way to prove what happened. I was told the speaker mounting bolts are loosened to make the speakers more annoying. I called the police on a black truck that goes by my house making that noise and the Deputy Sheriff sent 2 cars to their house. I hope they get caught driving and drinking when they get pulled over because of the noise. A DWI will cost them at least 5,000.

----------

That is "short man syndrome". little man, big truck. I feel normal size at 6'1", my cousin is 6' 6".
    How exactly can you justify trying to cause hundreds or thousands of dollars in property damage through vandalism, because someone played loud music....?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.