Cadillac Owners Forum banner

worst car fad

26K views 162 replies 37 participants last post by  The-Dullahan 
#1 ·
Spinners. Those damned spinning rims were so gross. I was in high school when they became popular, and EVERYONE at my school was in love with em... except me. "they keep spinning, even when you stop!" I hated those chromed turds from day one. Haha. I suppose we've all seen a perfectly good car ruined by some weak fad at some time. Any worse than the dreaded spinning twenty inch rim though?

#34 ·
bigm57ict said:
I saw an SUV the other day that had them installed on the door :confused:

Do they even know what "vents" are for?
There was an early 80s deville posted in the RWD forum once ( put up simply to laugh at). In addition to big rims, a horrid paint job, interior wood trim painted rattle can blue and a ghetto stereo, it had early 80s electra vents stuck on the sides of the fenders. IMO, it was the worst thing done to the car.

#38 ·
I always thought that the "Baby on Board" car signs had more to do with the ego of the mother than the safety od the child. "Look, see I got pregnant and now have a baby, oh the wonders of me!" However, maybe the real emphasis should have been "I got Married and had a kid" that's how I got this nice car! With almost 50% of all births in this country being to unwed mothers, that perhaps would be something to be proud of.

----------

#39 ·
The worst? Any that the driver uses to try to make a statement to others with their transportation device. My least favorite is little boys with big pickup trucks. Lift kits, knobby tires, CB whip antennas, a set of balls hanging from the shiny unused receiver hitch, a 'FEAR THIS' bumper sticker, and of course the noise pollution associated with it all. Even better are the ones that use mud to aesthetically accessorize their vehicle. Gotta make sure to roll through some wetlands before heading out on the town. That way everyone knows he means business.

#41 ·
Haha, I didn't realize how many fads there really were, and I almost forgot how much I hated the big ol' 4x4 "compensater", lifted and tricked out in chrome for the gnarliest deepest pit in the car wash... seriously, most of the gigantic, knobby tired, 8 foot trucks I see never leave the asphalt.so for that, they're up there with spinner dubs in my book.

#49 ·
subwoofers - aka weapons of bass destruction. It's nothing but noise pollution. I can feel them when they are nearby. Why do people feel like they can impose their musical "taste" on everyone around them? i wish there was an effective way to enforce the city ordinance.

Section 7.41.010 Loud and unnecessary noise prohibited.
(a) It is unlawful for any person to make, continue, or allow to be made or continued, any excessive, unnecessary, unusual or loud noise which creates a nuisance or injures or endangers the comfort, repose, health or safety of others, or which interferes with the use or enjoyment of property of any person of reasonable sensibilities residing in or occupying the area unless the making and continuing of such noise is necessary for the protection and preservation of property or the health and safety of some individual.
(b) The following acts, which enumeration shall not be deemed to be exclusive, are hereby declared to be noise nuisances in violation of this section and are unlawful:
(1) The playing or permitting or causing the playing of any radio, radio receiving set, television, phonograph, "boom box," loudspeaker, drum, juke box, nickelodeon, musical instrument, sound amplifier or similar device which produces, reproduces, or amplifies sound when done in such a manner or with such volume, intensity, or with continued duration so as to annoy, to distress, or to disturb the quiet, comfort, or repose of any person of reasonable sensibilities within the vicinity or hearing thereof. This subsection shall not apply to persons who have written authorization for an event which includes use of such a device, or to the police or public authorities who are using such a device in the performance of their duties.

#54 ·
subwoofers - aka weapons of bass destruction. It's nothing but noise pollution. I can feel them when they are nearby. Why do people feel like they can impose their musical "taste" on everyone around them? i wish there was an effective way to enforce the city ordinance.
Amen!

I do find it amusing when I end up behind one which has various parts on the car buzzing and rattling - ready to fall off from the vibrations.

----------

I am also entertained by people with different priorites than I, when it comes to fixing up an old car.

I ended up next to a '78 Coupe Deville yesterday. It was in need of paint and body work. The fillers, of course, were shot. The engine was making noises it shouldn't. But he sure had a nice set of chrome wire rims and fancy red tint on the windows! :rolleyes:

#52 ·
talismandave said:
They did when they were selling the "dummies".

Yes, that was in the early 80's they were selling them. I don't think even Whitney could find buyers for them now.
Go up to the hood.....there's old farts up there in conversion vans and old trucks with 5 cb whips and all that other crap that JC Whitney used to sell (curb feelers, stick on chrome, additional side markers etc)

#58 ·
I can't stand the boom noise from those cars too. I was told about a solution to it, get a tazer gun and zap their car antenna and it will burn their high dollar noise maker up. I have not tried this but I will try it on my neighbors car. And there is no way to prove what happened. I was told the speaker mounting bolts are loosened to make the speakers more annoying. I called the police on a black truck that goes by my house making that noise and the Deputy Sheriff sent 2 cars to their house. I hope they get caught driving and drinking when they get pulled over because of the noise. A DWI will cost them at least 5,000.

----------

That is "short man syndrome". little man, big truck. I feel normal size at 6'1", my cousin is 6' 6".

#68 · (Edited)
I can't stand the boom noise from those cars too. I was told about a solution to it, get a tazer gun and zap their car antenna and it will burn their high dollar noise maker up. I have not tried this but I will try it on my neighbors car. And there is no way to prove what happened. I was told the speaker mounting bolts are loosened to make the speakers more annoying. I called the police on a black truck that goes by my house making that noise and the Deputy Sheriff sent 2 cars to their house. I hope they get caught driving and drinking when they get pulled over because of the noise. A DWI will cost them at least 5,000.

----------

That is "short man syndrome". little man, big truck. I feel normal size at 6'1", my cousin is 6' 6".
Someone try any of that to my car i'll replace it all with an even louder system...either that or find who did so and tape a grenade to their forehead and piss on their grave

#60 ·
Most motor cycles accelerating a little harder than necessary on city streets are louder than someone driving around with big subs. Nobody seems to complain about them. Either way, the noise only lasts a few seconds as they pass by.

CadillacCastle said:

----------

How exactly can you justify trying to cause hundreds or thousands of dollars in property damage through vandalism, because someone played loud music....?

#65 · (Edited)
In my view, much of "rap" is a supposedly socially acceptable medium for the expression of behavior and attitudes that are not only intolerable to society but detrimental to the human race. The fact that the original source of "rap" was an under privileged and abused (although much of the abuse was ethnically self inflicted, at least in the last thirty years) is no excuse for the acceptability of many of the opinions and sentiments expressed in "Rap." .

I do not find "rap" musically pleasant or even environmentally tolerable ... accept to educate the rest of society as to the depths to which some of our fellow man can fall in their disrespect for other members of the human race.

#66 ·
What people choose to listen to isn't up to anyone but themselves. Playing it (or any other style of music) loudly, doesn't give anyone the right to vandalize a car. That's all I'm saying.

..... I wonder if the people who complain about the young kid in a Civic, playing Jay Z, or the cop who would pull him over, would do the same if it were an older driver in a '69 camaro, playing Aerosmith.

#69 ·
What people choose to listen to isn't up to anyone but themselves. Playing it (or any other style of music) loudly, doesn't give anyone the right to vandalize a car. That's all I'm saying.
How about an annoying aftermarket car alarm at 3AM that won't stop going off.
I hate that more than anything else car related! It will be vandalized on my block.

#67 ·
^^^ A persons rights regardless of their age extend to their own space not to the space of others. When the so called enjoyment of one person's taste infringes on another person's enjoyment of their own taste within their own space, regardless of the age of the perpetrator, then I would come down on the side of the one being violated.

Too often the objection to uncivil behavior is interpreted and blamed to some kind of prejudice on the part of person who is offended, when in fact the objection is really caused by a disapproval of the rude and uncivil action.

#71 ·
^^^ If you like "rap" that is fine .... just don't subject me to it. I do draw the line at "rap" that defiles other human beings and advocates behavior which is against the individual and society ... I pity the person who finds that kind of rap enjoyable ... regardless of their excuse!

#77 ·
About a quarter of the music I own is rap.

Playing it in a convertible, I am sure there have been times it was too loud for someone. I would hope that whoever was offended would be mature and rational enough not to become obsessed with the temporary situation to the point of seeking revenge. People who expect the world to be inhabited by only others who think, feel, and act, exactly as they do (and think others should), are destined to be permanently miserable without professional help.:(

That said, I also do not like the cars that are so loud you can feel three cars away without hearing the music. I tolerate them until I, or they, move away. Being cars, which are mobile by nature, that is the easiest solution. To seek retribution for some momentary irritation would seem to me to be a bit of an extreme reaction. I am sure just as often I irritate them with my gradual acceleration away from a light, or my strictly following the posted speed limit. These are the trade-offs we make to live as a society of individuals sharing the same space.

Like any music there are rap pieces that are good and bad. There are also, like all musical trends of the past, pieces that are, in their nature, designed to be controversial or counter-culture. That dose not mean that there aren't also pieces that are musically complex and lyrically beautiful. Just as with the music trends of past generations, the controversial aspects have done exactly what was intended. They have formed a music for the current generation that is hated by the older generation, thus allowing the young to enjoy it and the ability to piss off the old at the same time. :wisdom:

The society didn't crumble when the flappers danced wildly, or when Elvis gyrated. We even survived the "noise" and "lack of any musical value" of the Beatles. We will be able to survive this also. At least the people who can control their irrational beliefs and emotions with people who do not meet their standards of conduct. They will end up in jail or a mental hospital eventually.
Or perhaps a compound in the woods.:lol:

Summary for those who don't want to read this whole long winded post....
Hey....you kids.....get off my lawn!:cursin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.