worst car fad - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, worst car fad in General Discussion; Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 Do you know what trend needs to come back? White wall tires, hood ornaments and vinyl ...
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Do you know what trend needs to come back? White wall tires, hood ornaments and vinyl tops.
    This
    lacville78 and lacville78 like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    I have an 'In Loving Memory' decal for my dad on my car, but mostly because of all the memories we shared because of it.

Different strokes for different folks.
    It's not the reason, Roo. It's the wording. What is being done in loving memory??? Driving to the store for milk? Putting a sticker on my car?

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
    There are appropriate places for personal loss, your back window sharing with folks that don't give a hoot isn't one if them IMO.

In actuality I like wood grain on wagons, it makes me laugh.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Koooop
    There are appropriate places for personal loss, your back window sharing with folks that don't give a hoot isn't one if them IMO.

In actuality I like wood grain on wagons, it makes me laugh.
    I don't mind wood grain, but IMO cars look better without it. Except for those god awful ford box wagons....those things needed all the panelling they could throw at them to hide the lack of character the cars had.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: worst car fad

Vinyl tops only work on late 60s Cadillacs. Elsewhere, IMHO, NO.

Vinyl makes a Bobcat Squire complete.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Vinyl roofs worked well on the first generation Seville, they also looked good on several coupe designs of the seventies, especially when they were of the landau variety.

Wide white walls were a pain in the butt. They were OK till you scuffed the curb and then they started looking tatty. Thank God for Bletchley's Tire White, before that came on the market it was strictly Brillo pads which really didn't do the job. Believe me I cleaned enough white walls on my parent's cars to make a big advocate of the thinner white walls that came in the seventies. White walls of any kind never looked good on Jaguars sports cars of Italian GT's of any type!

I think the vinyl roof looked good on the 80s B/C body GMs (probably because they were 70s holdovers design wise)
    lacville78 and lacville78 like this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

^You're all being morbid, talking about death and all...

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    Vinyl tops only work on late 60s Cadillacs. Elsewhere, IMHO, NO.
    Not sure what kind of weird Cadillacs you've been driving, but having driven and experienced all of the body styles between the fifties and the FWD ones of today (of which I have not driven ALL, but experienced them all), I strongly disagree.

In fact, I believe Cadillac Hearses and Limousines (what civilized society drives/rides in) usually look G A Y without vinyl tops, regardless of age. From the early models to the upcoming 2014 lineup. Fact. Don't get me wrong. Some look GREAT without them. My sister's '69 looks cool, as does my brother's '79, but theirs were mildly customized in such ways as to compliment this.

Of course, to each their own. I like me some vinyl topped-Hearses/Limousines. Bare-topped ones look sort of funny, most of the time. It's acceptable on ambulances, but come on...who would drive an ambulance? That's crazy. Well, besides my other sister, I mean.

Also, anyone check out the upcoming Hearses? As usual, Superior is on the ball for their 2014 lineup. ALMOST makes me like modern Cadillacs...almost.

Often times a vinyl top is used to cover up 2nd rate coachwork.

I liked the vinyl tops on my 77-80 SDV's, and the Landau top on my 79 Eldorado.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Yeah, I heard that was the case with the first years of the 1st generation of Sevilles. The latter years of those first Sevilles could be had without vinyl roofs.

vinyl top delete was an option that you paid extra for. I believe it required some special finish as well as some different trim around the back window. The body work under the vinyl top on a 76 was awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop
    vinyl top delete was an option that you paid extra for. I believe it required some special finish as well as some different trim around the back window. The body work under the vinyl top on a 76 was awful.
    I agree on this. On my 86, you can feel the quarter panel to roof body seams under the top (and you can see them (if you are looking for them) if the lighting is right)....it's obvious that they didn't do that good of a job on the metalwork.....but it's ok. the vinyl top will hide it... almost

Custom coachwork is even worse. Vinyl top delete cost extra back then for a reason. Many Limo's were junk under the vinyl.

Tony Alvarado is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Seville sts
    Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Do you know what trend needs to come back? White wall tires, hood ornaments and vinyl tops.
    White walls... not enough of em out there. They look awesome on the right cars, and cadillacs always look good with some nice white walls. Hood ornaments can go either way, they either put the icing on the cake or guild the Lilly and look out of place.

----------

What about those pink "princess" seat covers huh? Or any tacky seat cover with skulls or whatever on them... if your seat is torn or ugly, try to get a cover that could be mistaken for stock seats... I hate those damned loud seat covers

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.