Best looking engines ever? - Page 3
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46
Like Tree36Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Best looking engines ever? in General Discussion; I'll take the GE GenX engines featured on the Boeing 747-8 and 787. The chevrons on the nacelle actually help ...
  1. #31
    gdwriter's Avatar
    gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Independence/Corvallis, OR
    Age
    48
    Posts
    14,257

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    I'll take the GE GenX engines featured on the Boeing 747-8 and 787. The chevrons on the nacelle actually help reduce noise:




  2. #32
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,670
    Well, when they're flying, anyway...

    That JL plane is still sitting on the tarmac at Logan. At least they pulled the wraps off the JL logos so they're not ashamed of it anymore...

  3. #33
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,219




    ----------

    MoistCabbage and MoistCabbage like this.

  4. #34
    bigm57ict's Avatar
    bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wichita Kansas
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,396

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Well, when they're flying, anyway...

    That JL plane is still sitting on the tarmac at Logan. At least they pulled the wraps off the JL logos so they're not ashamed of it anymore...
    What is JL?

  5. #35
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,670
    It's the airline code for Japan Airlines.

  6. #36
    CTSCHICK's Avatar
    CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,953

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    I liked my b.f's one engine he had a few years ago

    Aron9000 and Aron9000 like this.

  7. #37
    ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    In the middle of water!
    Posts
    4,346

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    ryannel2003 and ryannel2003 like this.

  8. #38
    Cadillac Kid03's Avatar
    Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In a Van down by the river.
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,232

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    I had too!


  9. #39
    Submariner409's Avatar
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MD Eastern Shore - Kent Island
    Age
    75
    Posts
    45,953

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    1963 Ferrari 3.0 Litre V-12. This engine is stock - looked exactly that way when you first opened the hood. No air cleaner - hood scoop - inside area smeared with grease. 2 oil filters - the one upside down Fram is the bypass filter - the full flow is down lower. Anyone remember setting 4 pairs of points in those two dual-point distributors ? - or getting those 6 dual-choke Webers to idle correctly ? The redline on these engines was 8,500 rpm ........ you gotta wind a 3 liter up to get any power - these things loved to run at 4,000+ and the sound was pure music.
    ryannel2003 and ryannel2003 like this.

  10. #40
    The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sitting on The Levee
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,592

    Re: Best looking engines ever?


  11. #41
    vincentm's Avatar
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kennewick WA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,739

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    Too many to say, there's alot that i love and admire, but i do love my Northstar too


  12. #42
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03 View Post
    I had too!
    You had what?

  13. #43
    Cadillac Kid03's Avatar
    Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In a Van down by the river.
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,232

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    You had what?
    No Comment.

  14. #44
    orconn's Avatar
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    13,108

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    1963 Ferrari 3.0 Litre V-12. This engine is stock - looked exactly that way when you first opened the hood. No air cleaner - hood scoop - inside area smeared with grease. 2 oil filters - the one upside down Fram is the bypass filter - the full flow is down lower. Anyone remember setting 4 pairs of points those two dual-point distributors ? - or getting those 6 dual-choke Webers to idle correctly ? The redline on these engines was 8,500 rpm ........ you gotta wind a 3 liter up to get any power - these things loved to run at 4,000+ and the sound was pure music.
    One has to marvel at the symmetry, which is a hallmark of Italian design, so evident in this Ferrari V-12 design. If you could look down from directly over head you would see that the engine could be cut in half and most of the major components of the engine would be present on either side of the engine.

    This would be even more the case if you were looking down from above on a Lamborghini longitudinally mounted engine with side draft Webers. On my Lamborghini 350 GT you could cut the car down the middle lengthwise and you would find almost all the components duplicated on either half of the car. Only the steering wheel and pedals on the driver's side broke the design symmetry. Not only did this contribute to the overall dynamic balance of the car, it also made for an design aesthetic rarely seen in an automobile.

    As a side note on the tune of Weber carburetors. My Lamborghini's carburetors cam from the factory perfectly set. Never during the ten years I owned the car did we have to tune or reset the carburetors. In fact that early Lambo engine (and car) was so reliable that we dubbed it the "Chevy" around my mechanic's shop. The only real problem I ever had with the car was a faulty fuse box which, after being replaced, never gave additional problems replaced. My Lamborghini was truly the finest car I have ever owned having the highest quality materials, care of assembly and consistently reliable performance. The fact that my car was the original Geneva show car that launched Lamborghini into the commercial car world may have had something to do with it. But other examples of this first Lamborghini (production run of 125 cars) also display the same high quality and attention to detail. (This was not the case for Ferrari road cars of the proceeding years.)
    bigm57ict and bigm57ict like this.

  15. #45
    Aron9000's Avatar
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    5,260

    Re: Best looking engines ever?

    Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    One has to marvel at the symmetry, which is a hallmark of Italian design, so evident in this Ferrari V-12 design. If you could look down from directly over head you would see that the engine could be cut in half and most of the major components of the engine would be present on either side of the engine.

    This would be even more the case if you were looking down from above on a Lamborghini longitudinally mounted engine with side draft Webers. On my Lamborghini 350 GT you could cut the car down the middle lengthwise and you would find almost all the components duplicated on either half of the car. Only the steering wheel and pedals on the driver's side broke the design symmetry. Not only did this contribute to the overall dynamic balance of the car, it also made for an design aesthetic rarely seen in an automobile.

    As a side note on the tune of Weber carburetors. My Lamborghini's carburetors cam from the factory perfectly set. Never during the ten years I owned the car did we have to tune or reset the carburetors. In fact that early Lambo engine (and car) was so reliable that we dubbed it the "Chevy" around my mechanic's shop. The only real problem I ever had with the car was a faulty fuse box which, after being replaced, never gave additional problems replaced. My Lamborghini was truly the finest car I have ever owned having the highest quality materials, care of assembly and consistently reliable performance. The fact that my car was the original Geneva show car that launched Lamborghini into the commercial car world may have had something to do with it. But other examples of this first Lamborghini (production run of 125 cars) also display the same high quality and attention to detail. (This was not the case for Ferrari road cars of the proceeding years.)
    Orr, I bet one big reason your Lambo ran so great was that you actually drove it, and drove it HARD. Nothing makes those old Italian v12 cars more fussy than long periods of storage and putting around town. You gotta run them hot and hard to keep carbon deposits and gunk from building up in the carbs, around the valves, on the pistons, etc.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting