Car stories, have you got one?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 6 Post By orconn
  • 8 Post By HAZZARDJOHN
  • 4 Post By 02603sec
  • 2 Post By orconn
  • 2 Post By jamespowers
  • 6 Post By amunderdog
  • 4 Post By truckinman
  • 4 Post By bigm57ict
  • 3 Post By talismandave
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Car stories, have you got one? in General Discussion; Over the years many of the forum members have told their "car stories" to us here on the Cadillac Forums. ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Car stories, have you got one?

Over the years many of the forum members have told their "car stories" to us here on the Cadillac Forums. Since we have so many new members that have joined here in the last year I thought it would be fun to, once again, encourage the members to tell their car stories. As in the past they don't have to be about Cadillacs, but rather about some happening that you found interesting or amusing.

In my own case, I remember a foggy Autumn morning back in the 1950's when a friend and I were walking down the main street of our small New Jersey town on our way to an early morning project at our high school. It was very quiet and the King's Highway, the main drag of this New Jersey suburb of Philadelphia, was almost totally deserted. As my friend and I walked through the fog a car silently pulled up to the curb along side of us and the passenger door opened and the man driving it asked where we were going and if we would like a ride. Now even in those days I would have declined a ride, even though we had another ten blocks to go.

However, I immediately recognized, being a life long car buff, the car the guy was driving. As it came, almost silently, to stop at the curb, I immediately realized it was an early 1920's Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost. It was bodied as a "Dr.'s coupe" (in other words a four passenger two door coupe). I immediately recognized the radiator shell and the "Spirit of Ecstasy" radiator cap (functional on this model).

I couldn't resist the offer, I don't believe I had ever seen a Silver Ghost, in person, before in my young life. My friend and I got in and the fellow driving this magnificent (the car had been restored to its' original glory) automobile ask us if we know what kind of a car this was. of course I told him that I knew it was an R-R Silver Ghost and that I had only seen one in books!

As the car effortlessly and silently (for the day) took us on our way to our destination, I remember vividly looking through the vertical windshield, down the long hood and seeing the "Spirit of Ecstasy" leading the way as we proceeded u Main Street.

As promised the driver dropped us at our destination and as he drove away in the fog I remember thinking how weird and wonderful riding in that wonderful old, true classic had been. I was especially impressed with how high the passenger compartment was on that coupe. It could easily accommodate a gentle in full formal attire .... complete with top hat!

I never did know who owned that car or who the driver was. I never saw it again and to this day, although I have ridden in many a Rolls-Royce, I have never ridden in a Silver Ghost again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

Re: Car stories, have you got one?

http://www.northstarcadillac.org/fea...k/lindback.htm

^ Here's mine written ten years ago. To lazy to update it other than the fact I still have the car.

orconn, orconn, ben.gators and 5 others like this.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    I think my stories can be found here, hence why i refer to my Eldorado as a cranky bitch..

Quote Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN View Post
    http://www.northstarcadillac.org/fea...k/lindback.htm

^ Here's mine written ten years ago. To lazy to update it other than the fact I still have the car.

Thanks for bringing this great story back to us! I remember the first time I read it, several years ago, and how much I enjoyed hearing about this great Cadillac and your memories of your grandfather.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Well Orconn was right again! I must have joined after the last time you posted that. Great history on that great car. Will be a wonderful legacy to leave your family. Thank you for sharing it again.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Most stories involving my car were mentioned briefly in the RWD lounge here or there. This is mostly because the topics of them were less relevant to this message board, save the bits about the cars themselves. These stories are more often about organized highway piracy and the endeavors of the people of rural 474 to suppress this, local gang wars causing vandalism on my cars and extensive investigations, crackdowns (by either side of the law) and resulting court appearances or memories from my youth which I am finding was apparently very peculiar, fantastic or frightening by comparison to most "normal" people I have met since leaving home.

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orconn
    Over the years many of the forum members have told their "car stories" to us here on the Cadillac Forums. Since we have so many new members that have joined here in the last year I thought it would be fun to, once again, encourage the members to tell their car stories. As in the past they don't have to be about Cadillacs, but rather about some happening that you found interesting or amusing.

In my own case, I remember a foggy Autumn morning back in the 1950's when a friend and I were walking down the main street of our small New Jersey town on our way to an early morning project at our high school. It was very quiet and the King's Highway, the main drag of this New Jersey suburb of Philadelphia, was almost totally deserted. As my friend and I walked through the fog a car silently pulled up to the curb along side of us and the passenger door opened and the man driving it asked where we were going and if we would like a ride. Now even I those days I would have declined a ride, even though we had another ten blocks to go.

However, I immediately recognized, being a life long car buff, the car the guy was driving. As it came, almost silently, to stop at the curb, I immediately realized it was an early 1920's Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost. It was bodied as a "Dr.'s coupe" (in other words a four passenger two door coupe). I immediately recognized the radiator shell and the "Spirit of Ecstasy" radiator cap (functional on this model).

I couldn't resist the offer, I don't believe I had ever seen a Silver Ghost, in person, before in my young life. My friend and I got in and the fellow driving this magnificent (the car had been restored to its' original glory) automobile ask us if we know what kind of a car this was. of course I told him that I knew it was an R-R Silver Ghost and that I had only seen one in books!

As the car effortlessly and silently (for the day) took us on our way to our destination, I remember vividly looking through the vertical windshield, down the long hood and seeing the "Spirit of Ecstasy" leading the way as we proceeded u Main Street.

As promised the driver dropped us at our destination and as he drove away in the fog I remember thinking how weird and wonderful riding in that wonderful old, true classic had been. I was especially impressed with how high the passenger compartment was on that coupe. It could easily accommodate a gentle in full formal attire .... complete with top hat!

I never did know who owned that car or who the driver was. I never saw it again and to this day, although I have ridden in many a Rolls-Royce, I have never ridden in a Silver Ghost again!
    Well Dullahan, i'll give it a shot.

I was 7 yrs old in 1967 when the new models came out. On a family road trip to my fathers hometown of Sandusky OH, he took me to visit one of his old friends. This fellow had just bought the new Eldorado and a Camaro RS/SS convertible. Both were Butternut yellow with black interiors. At 7 I was already drooling over cars. For years, I felt the 1967 model year had the best roll out of new designs and new models. My 1st car turned out to be a Y-2 RS Convertible deluxe int, power glide and 327. I sold it in college, and always wanted another one.

^^^ I can imagine the impression that 1967 Eldorado made on a seven year old. I was twenty four and that new Eldorado made quite and impression on me! Although I imagine a yellow convertible would have been even more exciting to a seven year old. When I was seven I had my first ride in a yellow convertible, it was a 1948 Buick (Roadmaster or Super, I didn't know). It belonged to a young bachelor who worked for my dad. I was very impressed with the car and especially its' maroon leather upholstery. The guy gave my dad and I a very nice , top down, ride up and around the hills where our house was located.

In the years following I got to ride in many convertibles, several of them yellow, but even when my dad got his own yellow 1951 Studebaker convertible, I was never again as impressed as I was with that first convertible ride in the yellow Buick!

Thanks for bringing back the memory!
    bigm57ict and bigm57ict like this.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

About twenty years ago or so, I was driving my mothers 75 Eldorado. My friend's brother was with me and he was goading me into hot rodding the car. At the end of his block was a bulb out elbow that turned into the next street. Well we came out of that next street toward the elbow so I stomped it and smoked the front tires as the rear end dragged around the corner and we flew up the street creating smoke, dust and noise.
    His house was a short distance up the street that we covered in no time. Looking back, I noticed a guy come running out of his house on the corner of that elbow. I thought I had hit something or other.
    I asked my friend what the deal was with the guy running out. Well it seems the guy had a Cadillac Eldorado---same color and year as my mother's and he thought I had just stolen it and took off down the street. lol lol lol
    orconn and orconn like this.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

I bought a 1969 sedan deville off the back lot of a dealer.
    It was in pretty good good shape for its age (about 12 years old) it had a silk kind of interior with like a firebird embroidered on the back seat.
    A road trip adventure came up, so i thru my meager belongings into the car and set out for Texas from Denver.
    I got down into Texas in the middle of the dark, not much traffic at that hour; Just layed back with the cruise control on riding.
    She was a grand gal and this was my first clue she was special.
    She started giving me signals that something was not right with the world around us.
    So i set up and look around closer and notice the road looks glassy; turned off the cruise control and looked closer, Black Ice!
    I swear if it had been any other car it would have turned out different.
    We went on to have many great adventures together
    She made it to about 15 years old when she became ill. I parked her in a great spot under a shade tree and let her rest in peace.
    It was the only car i ever kept. She set there for about 24yrs then something terrible happened.
    I still think of her and our adventures together.

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    I don't really have a particular car story that sticks out really. I've always loved cars. From the time I could crawl, I've been paying attention to every car I see. When I was real little, I called every car a cow lol.

As much as I love my Cadillac, my original love was my dads 1987 jeep wrangler. I was just one when he bought it brand new in 86. White with a white soft top and white steel wheels. I enjoyed every second I got to spend with my dad in that jeep. From summer fun with the top down, to winter plowing thru snow drifts. And when he built his log cabin on their farm, it become quite the work horse as well.

I looked forward to every time we thru the chainsaw into the back of it and made our way to the back 40, slipping and sliding in the soft mud as he left it in 2wd until it could no longer cut it, then into 4-lo it went and we would carry on to the tree we were going to cut up to use as fire wood in his wood stove.

I always felt safer in that jeep with my dad at the wheel than I felt in any other car because I knew, no matter what Mother Nature threw at us, all he had to do was reach down and shift that magic lever into one of 2 4WD positions, and away we would go! He owned this jeep until I was 26 years old. Put over 300k miles on that old cast iron 4.2 AMC engine.

To this day I've still got a soft spot in my heart for 1987-1991 (those years specifically bc that's the time frame for his style of roll cage b4 going to the full "family" cage in 92) jeep wranglers. Some day I want my kids to feel this way about a jeep that I may own. That jeep, to me, was an important part of our family, because for 18 years, it was the main family car. From Christmas's and thanks givings at Grandmas' to vacations to the beautiful north, it got us there with out ever allowing a single problem to stop it.

Well, I guess that was my car story lol.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    ...it was a 1948 Buick (Roadmaster or Super, I didn't know).
    One of my all-time favorite cars!

----------

Not a personal story, but rather one passed on to me.

I had a part-time job in college working in an auto restoration shop. Among the '60's muscle cars and '40's woody there was a '29 Packard. Man that thing looked huge compared to the other cars!
    I got a chance to talk to the owner one day as he was visiting to check on the progress. He told me he found that car being used on a farm. The owner was using it as a workhorse. Pulling stumps, hauling things, etc. Needless to say, he was rather shocked. He told the owner he wanted to buy that Packard from him. He took him to the local truck dealer and told him to pick out any new truck he wanted and he'd buy it for him in trade for that Packard.
    It's good to know it got the restoration it deserves. Unfortunantly, I never got to see the finished product. It was still a chassis with sandblasted fenders when I graduated. The hand-formed aluminum skins and wood frame hadn't been restored yet.

There are some great stories here, bet some of our new members have some to add to these.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

My all time favorite car was a rust bucket 3 color 67 Firebird with a 68 350 two barrel. A kid owned it before me and dorked the wiring up so price was right. He did work at muffler shop so it had a new dual exhaust. A new battery and a new wire to the starter and all was good. It had a Hurst shifter to a newly installed rebuilt turbo 350, big a$$ Cragar spoke rims in the back with 10 inch tires. It had zero options and had been in numerous wrecks, the floor boards were completely rotted out. Why did I like it then? One wheel peel for as long as you kept in it, went through many a tire. It was kinda loud, the brakes sucked, it handled poorly but could pull out of the hole better than anything short of a Vette...
    The wife to be had to lift her feet if it rained to keep from getting them wet. I started fixing the rust when the rear frame rail rotted out and the rear leaf spring perch would rap ever so slightly on the trunk lid. I sold it to some total nut job who had 50+ Firebirds in a couple rows(all 60's models). Went to a 79 TA that handled better and looked good but couldn't outrun that rust bucket.
    That 67 was one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned and by far the easiest one to work on.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Well, I have told this story before on the forum, but it was years ago and in another thread.

To those who have read it, I am sorry.

My car story is a Cadillac story. It has to be, Cadillac is the only car I ever had that impacts my life still to this day.

I had a converted van and felt that I had had all the fun with it that I could and was ready for a change.

One of my employers had a 74 Mark IV and had traded it for a Mark V. Every day I went to work I would dream and drool over his car. A friend of mine also had access to his parents "fleet" of cars one of which was a '72 Mark IV. I had been fortunate enough to trade him van for Mark quite often and loved driving that car. I decided I was going to have to trade my van for one.
    I looked at several, a 1971 Mark III with a factory sunroof, a 76 Thunderbird which was basically the same car. Both had faults.

One night, well actually early morning, a friend and I were cruising town looking at car lots and going down East Washington Ave, the low rent used car district at the time, I caught a glimpse of a dark blue Cadillac with a white half roof, grill cap and flying lady ornament. It was a four door and a Cadillac so not what I would want to own, but we turned around just to see the pimp-mobile.

When I pulled up on it I noticed the scroll bars on the roof, and the Riviera rims with Cadillac crests. The car was full on pimp, and we were laughing about the thought of me driving it. The next minute was the one that changed my life. I walked up to it and cupped my hands to look into the darkened car against the glare of the lot lights.

Inside I saw 4 heavily pillowed seats and two consoles between them. I couldn't believe how cool a custom interior it had. As I backed way and looked at the car again, I could see myself driving it. Oh yeah,I could!

The next day I went down to the dealer with title in hand to become a pimp!
    It was four years old and had 52,000 miles on it, ran great and rode like a dream. Traded my 2 year old van for it even up. Had done all the conversion work myself so actually came out pretty good on the deal, but it really didn't matter. Any amount of money could never have given me the joy that that Cadillac brought me in the many travels and road trips we would share over the next decade. In fact, to this day it is my longest ownership of a car.

By the early late 80's the Wisconsin winters had taken their toll, and I was married with little ones, and mortgages to pay. The money wasn't there to fix up a rusty old Cadillac. By then I had learned all about the Talisman Edition and the history of the car. I figured I would probably never even see one again in my life, much less own one.

I had other Cadillacs over the years, but as nice as they were, and as much as I loved them, they could never match my lost Talisman.

Fast forward to 2011. I decide to purchase a computer.
    My last one was in 1994. I had never been "on-line". I lost it in the divorce, and never felt a need to replace it.(Or the wife, although I rethink that one often as I get older!)

Like one does with a new toy I would sit nights and think of things to look up. One night I was thinking about my old Cadillac and typed in Fleetwood Talisman. I was amazed how much info I could find on them. What had taken me years to learn and collect in the 80's, pretty much came up in an instant, and more. Also a link to a place I had heard of called Ebay. There in front of me was my 1974 Talisman. Complete with the grill cap and flying lady!
    The rest is history. I bought the car for $850 and paid $900 to ship it from Sacramento to Madison. A short time later I found the forum.

....and that is why you guys are stuck with me instead of the Lincoln Forum!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.