Forum n00b checking in
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Forum n00b checking in in General Discussion; Hey all... posting a quick intro before barging in to the classic side. I've been a 'dubber for many years ...
    Rockhead261 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1975 Eldorado Convertible

Forum n00b checking in

Hey all... posting a quick intro before barging in to the classic side.

I've been a 'dubber for many years and have owned three mk1 Rabbit GTI's. My most recent was a fully restored '83 that drove like a three year old car. NOS alloy wheels, a perfect original interior, and a properly rebuilt drivetrain. Leak free and dead nuts reliable. It was an enthusiasts dream.

Sometime last year I caught myself checking out long low convertibles at cruise nights, and then I saw a '67 Cutlass Supreme vert that pretty much knocked me out. It was an original survivor and priced well out of my league, but it got me testing the waters to see what my GTI was worth.

Well, as it turns out, a member of the VW forum I belong to had been poking me to show him my car for some time. I invited him for a look and floated a highball over his head. He reached for it with a very respectable offer. I countered and ended up breaking even on the car I owned for 4 years. Bittersweet seeing it being driven away, but I know she went to a loving home.

So... after seeing a couple of real junkers I found a good local car on eBay. '75 Eldorado convertible, Jennifer blue with a white top and interior. It's a nice driver, good paint and body, de-smogged, runs smooth and pretty much everything works. I've only had it a few days and already got the factory radio, A/C, and a whole slew of vacuum lines sorted out. It'll need some front end work and a few other bits to meet my safety and reliability standards, but after that I plan to just drive it for a while before going deep on the top and interior - the CD-ROM manual, headlight adjusters, and high-impedance dash speakers are already ordered!

Anyhow, figured it was a good time to post an intro and start getting to know the regulars... I'm sure I'll be asking questions in short order!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Re: Forum n00b checking in

Not much of a V-DUB fan but I do love the big GM drop tops. Nice Eldo!

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and info here. Enjoy your stay!!

Beautiful Eldog!!!!

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Back in the eighties our VW Wolfsburg Scirocco was one of our preferred weekend drives. Last time I heard it was still seeing service as a daily driver.

Welcome to the Forums!

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Love that Eldo!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Beautiful car! I'm jealous.

Jersey Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Deville DTS

My last 4 cars were "VWs".
    87scirocco
    90 jetta gli16v
    96 a4 2.8l manual
    97 a8 4.2L

Somebody totalled my A8 while it was parked, so I replaced it with an '05 DTS.

Love the looks of that '75!

Well, it sure is nice to see a couple guys who will admit to a certain degree of VW affliction. I'm pretty much VW'ed out at this point, but I'll never say never.... The Wolfsburg Sciroccos were awesome, though I could never compress my 6'3" frame enough to fit.

Thanks for the comments - that pic does it justice as it omits the weathered interior, frayed top, and paint imperfections, but what the hey... it's a good starting point. Besides, I wish I looked that good when I was crowding 40.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I will say that your choice of cars couldn't be more different. Driving an eighties GTI was more like riding a polo pony while driving your Eldorado is more like riding an elephant! Back when they were new I test drove an 1976 Eldorado and then drove and bought a '76 Seville .... the difference between the two cars was like night and day. The name "land yacht" pretty much says it all for the Eldorado.

Looks like you've found a good one to restore!

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhead261 View Post
    Well, it sure is nice to see a couple guys who will admit to a certain degree of VW affliction.
    I must say, VW's did make me some nice cash over the years due to their trans problems & lack of mechanics that know how to fix them.

cdcoston is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): A '13 CTS Coupe
    I love my '13 Coupe, but that '75 is an American Icon. Just make sure you get a Leisure Suit to match!!

EChas3 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Welcome!

That's one beautiful Eldorado!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Jennifer blue and white....yum!

Love the Eldo. I was excited to hear you were a VW guy...until I saw they drove from the wrong end!
    VW raised. The space behind the back seat over the engine was my crib when dad was on the road as an auditor. Put me right to sleep. I can only get to sleep now by idling my car. Dangerous to drive on long trips too!

Welcome and have fun here. Good group of people here.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I was excited to hear you were a VW guy...until I saw they drove from the wrong end!
    Yeah, I guess there are several generations of 'dubbers out there, and I imagine a purist would not accept anything that needs antifreeze!

I'll admit to learning to drive on an early 70's microbus owned by a local mechanic. If you can find third on one of those without grinding you can drive pretty much anything.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Hey, If you don't suffer through a Wisconsin winter in an air cooled car without blower motors, you haven't lived! It prepared me well for my Wrangler soft top ownership years later. Only two vehicles I have ever driven where you scrape the inside of the windshield more than the outside.
    My first driving experience, other than go carts, was at 12 years old in a 66 Dub convertible.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.