bad day at baseball
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, bad day at baseball in General Discussion; I coach a young team and have a dad that can't find the brain mouth filter. He's a known issue ...
    rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

bad day at baseball

I coach a young team and have a dad that can't find the brain mouth filter. He's a known issue but can usually tolerate him since he's around rarely. Today he got mouthy and started undermining everything I was trying to do and taking a demeaning tone with me. I told him if he didn't like it leave but he stayed. I called him later and told him since he couldn't keep it civil & follow my instructions he could stay away. I would not tolerate anyone talking to me that way. Well after getting called ignorant, threatning to take his kid off team and him trying to rag on my kid I hung up before I pulled him through the phone or stooped to his level. We are a rec league and I don't get to choose my players and we are a young team/very weak with min play rules that I adhere to. We've stayed with the best team for a couple but we just don't have it together yet so they thumped us.
    Stupid part is he agrees with me on 90% of our problems but just bitchin to bitch I think. He freely admitted only being at one game and seeing video of only his kid and didn't really see what was happening. Typical...
    So a good day of playing baseball was ruined by this guy. I should not of let this idiot get under my skin... But gotta draw the line somewhere. Thank god for adult beverages today as my blood pressure couldn't be much higher without me stroking out.
    I only coach myself because of people like this who crap on everybody and run their mouths around here. They have taken the fun out ta baseball & a lot of excellent players quit due to them.
    Rant off...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tanderson2491 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS, 2000 Olds Intrigue, 2002 STS (Hopefully)

Re: bad day at baseball

I was getting scared for a second. I thought he was gonna take out his anger on your Cadillac!

Wouldn't put it past him...

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

It sucks when adults interject themselves into their kids games. Probably was "big-man-on-campus" in high school and found how fleeting the "fame" was in the working world. Trying to make up for his failed, pathetic life by way of his poor kid....

Same kind who gets some minor supervisory role in a workplace and makes everyone miserable because it is the only place in his life that he isn't impotent. The kind who has to ask his wife's permission for everything, including going to the bathroom. Spends his whole life under everyone's thumb and takes it out on anyone he can.

Oh yes he makes sure everyone knows he played in high school... Big whoop, I know a lot of good players who couldn't coach at all & they know it. having knowledge or a skill and being able to teach someone are two different beasts.
    His kid(step kid) plays crappy when he's around cause dad yells about everything all the time. I've seen him shank a play just to cheese the old man off.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Poor kid. Having an a-hole like that in his life he will probably end up screwed up too.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    His kid(step kid) plays crappy when he's around cause dad yells about everything all the time. I've seen him shank a play just to cheese the old man off.
    Before I read all your post I was wondering if it was going to be a parent attacking the officials (or coach) or attacking his own kid. Sounds like he's a double threat. But since neither are in the rare category, I could never understand how a parent could do either after watching someone else doing it. I'm positive they must think anyone else who does it is a jerk. How can they possibly not recognize they are doing the same thing.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    My money is that he drinks quite a bit too

Another coach threatened an ump after an all star game last year... Charges were filed and he was banned for life.
    I'm not proud to be associated with any of them even just being in same league. I met the ump last week, nice guy and a preacher who called an good game. That's classy ain't it ... Getting bent over a 10 yr olds ball game.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Adult should not interject with a children's game (Creepy fact #2: Some adults get paid good money to play this very same children's game)

I never had that problem as a child. Less children take up boxing and jousting when they are five and nobody's parents show up

Jousting would be awesome and what kid don't want to do that. Although I get hit enough with bats and balls as it is.
    I should say I am no where the most qualified baseball coach around, but the previous coaches have driven off half the good players and the nice kids. We went from 6 teams to 4 in one year because of the coaches.

I give every kid his fair playing time and bring everyone into the infield for at least 1 game and people hate me for it... so i don't cheat, give kids a chance and play fair and yet somehow I'm bad?? My philosophy is how do you know if a kid is good or not if they don't get a shot. Plus what kid kid ain't excited about starting in the infield, give em something positive I say. I've been surprised myself a few times. I rotate my subs so they start every other game too, never being a starter sucks ear cheese. As you said Dullahan it is a game and they seem to forget it. I haven't but maybe I'm the exception? I don't get upset unless I got money on a game.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    I give every kid his fair playing time and bring everyone into the infield for at least 1 game and people hate me for it... so i don't cheat, give kids a chance and play fair and yet somehow I'm bad?? My philosophy is how do you know if a kid is good or not if they don't get a shot. Plus what kid kid ain't excited about starting in the infield, give em something positive I say. I've been surprised myself a few times. I rotate my subs so they start every other game too, never being a starter sucks ear cheese.
    If the official policy is to play everyone equally, then for sure you should do it and are a good person for doing so.

On the other hand, playing a sport can teach more than just the skills used in the sport and the other things may be more important to a child than how accurately they can throw a ball (for example). And that can even be the root of problems with some parents, i.e. they are more interested in instilling a competitive drive and doing it too early. Of course they usually manage to screw that up as your example of the kid who messes up to get back at a domineering dad.

So leagues like you coach in are important but its a drive to win they hopefully will learn later that has made virtually every product and service we enjoy cheap enough to afford and a good value. It probably wouldn't help but it couldn't hurt if you make sure the parents understand that their kids are there to learn baseball skills FIRST; winning tthe game is secondary. If they don't like that, they should find a league that doesn't have rules requiring everyone have equal playing time.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

A trick that I've seen work for someone in your predicament is to carry a kids water pistol in your hip pocket. When the guy starts yelling at you pull it out and squirt him a couple of times. The kids will love it and it will make him look like a fool. Also, I can't imagine him running to the authorities and complaining about being squirted with a water pistol. I've seen it work with basketball parents. Out ridiculous the ridiculous.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I am all in favor of organized youth sport in all its' forms. Unfortunately, today, we seem to be plagued with parents that have never been taught good sportsmanship (or good parenting skills, for that matter). And just as importantly many of the coaches are also lacking good sportsman like and effective teaching skills.

When my son was in Little League he had a coach that would lose his temper and berate the umps and other coaches, and always play his own son while neglecting other players. He would make my son play the whole game as catcher despite the kid's fatigue. My son quit little league and went on to become a very accomplished competitive equestrian (much better training in all areas of sport, unfortunately a lot more expensive).

I hope you will continue to coach because you are truly needed in setting an example and developing our young people into contributing adults to whom civil behavior is not a stranger.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I think the team (players) should decide at the beginning of the season: play to win or everybody plays. After that, no gripes.

I like the squirtgun idea. but now-a-days it would get you arrested on a schoolground.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.