What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run away? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run away? in General Discussion; After buying two cars that had a "clean" Car Fax. Which wasn't the reason why I bought those two cars, ...
    Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

After buying two cars that had a "clean" Car Fax. Which wasn't the reason why I bought those two cars, it was just provided by the dealers. I will now be very wary of a clean Car Fax or anything from Car Fax from now on. I never really trusted it before and I most certainly do not now.

Even a Certified Pre-owned I would be wary about.

KOT

Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 CdV Spring Edition;92 Brougham d'E 305;98 Seville STS

Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    After buying two cars that had a "clean" Car Fax. Which wasn't the reason why I bought those two cars, it was just provided by the dealers. I will now be very wary of a clean Car Fax or anything from Car Fax from now on. I never really trusted it before and I most certainly do not now.

Even a Certified Pre-owned I would be wary about.

KOT
    King-

I have heard the myth of CarFax reliability. Did you personally get burned on a deal(s)? What did you discover or what was the revelation post-purchase? I've heard there is another service similar to CarFax, yet its name escapes me at the moment. I wonder if it is any more valuable?

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Just saying, my 87 silverado had like half of those things wrong with it....heavily worn steering, broken column, cheap tires,chrome valve covers (which I HATE and will be replacing with stock ones), duralast battery (of course it was dead), in a used tire shop lot in a hillbilly town ("cheapie's used tires"). Trans was toast too. It did have newer (but not that new) spark plugs and good oil though. It was a shitty truck, but had a nice engine in it.

And whats wrong with fram oil filters?
    Yup, I bought an 85 Camaro off a hillbilly years ago (mullet and everything), I saw somethings wrong with it and gave him scrap price for it. He told me the engine was bad and the transmission was good. It turned out the engine ran great, but the reverse gear was out. The engine just needed some plugs and an oil change. But it ran very, very smooth. So ya, you can break the rules and score a deal or two, but the rules just kind of help me Watch out for trouble, offer a stupid low price, and get it for next to nothing or walk. You might pass a deal or two, but I feel you can avoid a lot of trouble not paying much when there are red flags.

Also, Fram Oil Filters. First I would like to say, I was a Frammer, my brother was a Frammer, and my dad who is 74 was a Frammer from waay back. Basically I was doing some research about oil and filters, I think I was really looking into the lack of ZDDP in modern oils (Which is a big issue I should bring up one day!) anyhow, I come across a thread where a guy started cutting the housing on oil filters and showing the element in them. There was a ton of bad talk about the frams. This made me nervous, so I googled it and even more bad stuff about fram filters comes up.

So... I become leary, and do some experimenting on cars that would come in to my dad's shop. I just quit buying Frams and would stick stock filters on their cars, Deco/ Motorcraft etc.. So then I notice certain cars would come in with engine tapping at cold start up, I would get that Fram off of there, and change the oil, let the car sit for a good while, and no more cold tapping. Later on I quit putting Frams on my own cars, Then one of my brother's cars had the same thing going on with the cold tapping, I told him about the Fram filter, and he decided to try another filter the next time he changed his oil, After he did that no more cold tapping since, He got off the Fram, my dad said they used to be good filters back in the day, but after talking with him and telling him everything I knew he decided to stop Framming Cold- Turkey. The last case of someone framming I dealt with was a late 90s silverado with a small block in it, The guy was a good friend of the family and he comes over and we all go out to eat in our van, afterwards we get back home, he fires up his truck, and I hear the cold tapping, I run up and ask him if there is a Fram on there, he says yes, I said listen to that noise, switch to Deco and it won't do that at start up anymore. It worked, and since then he has been off the Fram with no relapses. I guess the temptation of the Fram is the low- low price, but starving the engine for oil at startup doesn't seem worth it to me.

BlueAngel#07 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    NO ENGINE lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac_Fan View Post
    King-

I have heard the myth of CarFax reliability. Did you personally get burned on a deal(s)? What did you discover or what was the revelation post-purchase? I've heard there is another service similar to CarFax, yet its name escapes me at the moment. I wonder if it is any more valuable?
    The first car was a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am, bought in 2006. The first thing that was noticeably wrong was the driver's mirror. The inside controls were making it go every which way but the way that I was pressing the button. So I took it to a MG dealer as it was still in manufactures warranty, bought at a Mitsubishi dealer. The GM dealer said that can't work on it because it's been in an accident and it's not covered by warranty, which is perfectly understandable. They only saw this when they took the door apart and saw that the bracing was bent, which they showed me. So I took it back to the dealer that I bought it from, demanded a Car Fax and have them fix it. The fixed the mirror and bent back the brace, and of course the Car Fax was "clean".

The second car is my current 2006 Cadillac CTS, bought in 2008. I bought it from a dealer that was over 90 minutes away from me. So there was no way that I was gonna take it there for repairs. But thankfully there was nothing wrong with it from the accident that wasn't reported to Car Fax. I only knew that it was because when I removed the bumper cover to replace the headlight bulbs, poor design GM *ahem*. I saw that the bumper was bent in on the driver side. After that I noticed that, I saw the over spray from the front quarter panel under the hood. Then it was mentioned to me again when I got into my front in crash in late 2009. The auto body shop pointed it out to me, but I already knew about it or at least assumed.

It would be rather interesting to see if my crash is on Car Fax though, which I doubt.

KOT
    Cadillac_Fan likes this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post

Yup, I bought an 85 Camaro off a hillbilly years ago (mullet and everything), I saw somethings wrong with it and gave him scrap price for it. He told me the engine was bad and the transmission was good. It turned out the engine ran great, but the reverse gear was out. The engine just needed some plugs and an oil change. But it ran very, very smooth. So ya, you can break the rules and score a deal or two, but the rules just kind of help me Watch out for trouble, offer a stupid low price, and get it for next to nothing or walk. You might pass a deal or two, but I feel you can avoid a lot of trouble not paying much when there are red flags.

Also, Fram Oil Filters. First I would like to say, I was a Frammer, my brother was a Frammer, and my dad who is 74 was a Frammer from waay back. Basically I was doing some research about oil and filters, I think I was really looking into the lack of ZDDP in modern oils (Which is a big issue I should bring up one day!) anyhow, I come across a thread where a guy started cutting the housing on oil filters and showing the element in them. There was a ton of bad talk about the frams. This made me nervous, so I googled it and even more bad stuff about fram filters comes up.

So... I become leary, and do some experimenting on cars that would come in to my dad's shop. I just quit buying Frams and would stick stock filters on their cars, Deco/ Motorcraft etc.. So then I notice certain cars would come in with engine tapping at cold start up, I would get that Fram off of there, and change the oil, let the car sit for a good while, and no more cold tapping. Later on I quit putting Frams on my own cars, Then one of my brother's cars had the same thing going on with the cold tapping, I told him about the Fram filter, and he decided to try another filter the next time he changed his oil, After he did that no more cold tapping since, He got off the Fram, my dad said they used to be good filters back in the day, but after talking with him and telling him everything I knew he decided to stop Framming Cold- Turkey. The last case of someone framming I dealt with was a late 90s silverado with a small block in it, The guy was a good friend of the family and he comes over and we all go out to eat in our van, afterwards we get back home, he fires up his truck, and I hear the cold tapping, I run up and ask him if there is a Fram on there, he says yes, I said listen to that noise, switch to Deco and it won't do that at start up anymore. It worked, and since then he has been off the Fram with no relapses. I guess the temptation of the Fram is the low- low price, but starving the engine for oil at startup doesn't seem worth it to me.
    This on Fram filters. NEVER again on any car for me!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by amunderdog View Post
    Cars that have been highly detailed scare me.
    When i open the hood and everything has been shined; i will generally walk away.
    No, not for me. Ones that are well detailed may mean they know their way around cars.

The ones that are sloppily detailed are the ones I stay away from. Spraying your entire interior down in Armor All. Detailing the paint but having wheel wells that look disgusting are big red flags to me...

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    Red flag to me as an automobile dealer. 3 BIG issues seen on Carfax occasionally.
    1. Accident, towed from the scene.
    2. Accident, Air bag deployed.
    3. Accident, structural damage.

I completely loose interest when I read those statements. Cuts the value in half!

As a seller can you explain to a buyer around that?

PRIOR reconstructed-salvage is another toughie but a very cheap price can overcome that one. The word PRIOR is important, it means it was repaired, inspected and made road. worthy again.
    If the word PRIOR is missing........you got lot of work ahead of you.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhotrods
    Red flag to me as an automobile dealer. 3 BIG issues seen on Carfax occasionally.
    1. Accident, towed from the scene.
    2. Accident, Air bag deployed.
    3. Accident, structural damage.

I completely loose interest when I read those statements. Cuts the value in half!

As a seller can you explain to a buyer around that?

Prior reconstructed-salvage is another toughie but a very cheap price can overcome that one. The word PRIOR is important, it means it was repaired, inspected and made road. worthy again.
    If the word PRIOR is missing........you got lot of work ahead of you.
    Just my view on it.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item19e1506b9c

Ran great until parked 3 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item19e1506b9c

Ran great until parked 3 years ago...
    Hmmm, New York plates and it's located in Danbury, Connecticut. Must of gone on a run, parked it and said f-it when it wouldn't start. lol

KOT

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    Big cigarette burns allover the interior. A huge turn off,
    From there I just move on to the next case.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Any car I buy has to be a non-smoker.
    I always check the ashtrays. If they've been used, I walk.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

When it comes to Cadillacs, I always walk when there is a certain smell and the trunk won't open!

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

A local drug dealer was found in the trunk of his Cadillac after he'd been misssing for a long hot summer. When it was all said and done they couldn't even sell the parts off the car they stank so bad. A steam cleaner didn't help.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    A local drug dealer was found in the trunk of his Cadillac after he'd been misssing for a long hot summer. When it was all said and done they couldn't even sell the parts off the car they stank so bad. A steam cleaner didn't help.
    Whatever happened to cement overshoes and sleeping with the fish? Did they have to ruin a Cadillac?

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

With the public's concern over water pollution and the cost of cement these days it is just cheaper to use an old Cadillac!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.