What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run away? - Page 3
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 72
Like Tree69Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run away? in General Discussion; Never buy a used car without having a good mechanic bless it. Best 100 bucks or so you will ever ...
  1. #31
    MotownPimp's Avatar
    MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Age
    72
    Posts
    901

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    Never buy a used car without having a good mechanic bless it. Best 100 bucks or so you will ever spend. If seller won't take (or let you take) car to mechanic, walk.

  2. #32
    Cadillac_Fan's Avatar
    Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    482

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    I looked at a Seville online today and the ad photos showed bottles of coolant on the passenger seat. Big red flag.

  3. #33
    EcSTSatic's Avatar
    EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    4,677

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    Consumer Tip#5: When buying a used car, check the radio's push buttons. If they are all set on rock stations, the transmission is probably shot.

  4. #34
    Aztec ETC ECS's Avatar
    Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,903

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    Dead sea animals or smell of the ocean. (after Sandy anyway)(east coast thing)

  5. #35
    Cadillac_Fan's Avatar
    Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    482

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    A new sales description I read today for a 1995 Seville STS:

    "AC works great. Just needs a new compressor and a charge. No more than $20 at the junkyard."

  6. #36
    lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    358

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    I am a bit late to the party, but here are my red flags.

    Aftermarket steering wheels, Thick engine oil, Duralast parts, High engine idle and Poorly routed aftermarket spark plug wires (usually go hand in hand), fram oil filter, discolored transmission fluid, Giant red wire going from the battery from a former boom box install, Discolored coolant, Non functional Airconditioning, Cheap Tires, Squeaky Ball joints (Chrysler, and Ford), Ticks, Taps, Knocks from the engine and blow by coming from the oil fill cap, Transmission slippage or torque converter shudder, I would say engine mods or anything like that, but I don't usually buy the type of cars that people tune on.

    I also turn the key on, and look for functioning idiot lights, then start and look for them.

    Pictures of the car taken while the car is still wet from hosing it off!

    Then I look at the seller, I avoid Youngsters, and people from the economic lower class. (Takes one to know one )

    Now of course, these are general rules, I've bought many beater cars for the right price with a red flag or two.

    Also Cars parked in Gas Station Parking lots with for sale signs.

    And the obligatory:
    Fords, Dodges (Other than slant six), Chevrolet 3100 and that goofy Vega engine, and Cadillac Diesel and Cadillac 4.x engines (Don't wanna ruffle any feathers, but my money, my choice)

    Also any kind of missing parts, Once I was looking at getting a Monte Carlo with T-Tops, but one was missing, The Owner told me it fell into the Gulf of Mexico while he was fishing, BUT ITS COOL because he can tell me exactly where it was at, Uhhhh yaa, I'm not scuba diving! I passed.

  7. #37
    Submariner409's Avatar
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    MD Eastern Shore - Kent Island
    Age
    74
    Posts
    45,006

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    ............ You need to test drive a F-150 XLT or Lariat. Very surprising. (Either V-8)

  8. #38
    Jesda's Avatar
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    St Louis MO
    Age
    32
    Posts
    22,238

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    Bottles of fluids in the trunk or evidence of spilled fluids around the power steering reservoir or trans filler.

    An engine that's fully warmed up when you arrive, masking cold idle or cold start issues.
    Cadillac_Fan and ben.gators like this.

  9. #39
    HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
    HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Medieval England Iowa
    Posts
    761

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    I always start talking to the owner about Music, if he mentions Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, or anything by Bon Jovi (I love Classic Rock BTW) I know he would have a mullet in five minutes if they became fashionable again. Which translates to neutral drops, brake stands, and down shifting into first to hear the pipes rattle at 40. Dale Earnhardt Stickers = run!
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

  10. #40
    bigm57ict's Avatar
    bigm57ict is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wichita Kansas
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,341

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    Keep in mind, many fans of that music have aged a bit. It may have been many years since they drove a car like that.

  11. #41
    HAZZARDJOHN's Avatar
    HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Medieval England Iowa
    Posts
    761

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    Keep in mind, many fans of that music have aged a bit. It may have been many years since they drove a car like that.
    It has to do with the enthusiasm he has for the music. Any Air guitar playing while talking about Zeppelin is a bad sign. Also Wallet chains, and black Jeans with a skoal ring = run, or be prepared to talk about Smokey and the Bandit.
    Cadillac_Fan and bigm57ict like this.

  12. #42
    amunderdog is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sunbright, TN
    Posts
    1,298

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    Cars that have been highly detailed scare me.
    When i open the hood and everything has been shined; i will generally walk away.
    Cadillac_Fan and Kingoftypos like this.

  13. #43
    Cadillac_Fan's Avatar
    Cadillac_Fan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    482

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    Quote Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN View Post
    It has to do with the enthusiasm he has for the music. Any Air guitar playing while talking about Zeppelin is a bad sign. Also Wallet chains, and black Jeans with a skoal ring = run, or be prepared to talk about Smokey and the Bandit.
    Hilarious, yet true, characterizations to make a buyer give pause. "Any air guitar playing..black jeans with a skoal ring..." LOL!

  14. #44
    cadillac kevin's Avatar
    cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    5,719
    Quote Originally Posted by lacville78
    I am a bit late to the party, but here are my red flags.

    Aftermarket steering wheels, Thick engine oil, Duralast parts, High engine idle and Poorly routed aftermarket spark plug wires (usually go hand in hand), fram oil filter, discolored transmission fluid, Giant red wire going from the battery from a former boom box install, Discolored coolant, Non functional Airconditioning, Cheap Tires, Squeaky Ball joints (Chrysler, and Ford), Ticks, Taps, Knocks from the engine and blow by coming from the oil fill cap, Transmission slippage or torque converter shudder, I would say engine mods or anything like that, but I don't usually buy the type of cars that people tune on.

    I also turn the key on, and look for functioning idiot lights, then start and look for them.

    Pictures of the car taken while the car is still wet from hosing it off!

    Then I look at the seller, I avoid Youngsters, and people from the economic lower class. (Takes one to know one )

    Now of course, these are general rules, I've bought many beater cars for the right price with a red flag or two.

    Also Cars parked in Gas Station Parking lots with for sale signs.

    And the obligatory:
    Fords, Dodges (Other than slant six), Chevrolet 3100 and that goofy Vega engine, and Cadillac Diesel and Cadillac 4.x engines (Don't wanna ruffle any feathers, but my money, my choice)

    Also any kind of missing parts, Once I was looking at getting a Monte Carlo with T-Tops, but one was missing, The Owner told me it fell into the Gulf of Mexico while he was fishing, BUT ITS COOL because he can tell me exactly where it was at, Uhhhh yaa, I'm not scuba diving! I passed.
    Just saying, my 87 silverado had like half of those things wrong with it....heavily worn steering, broken column, cheap tires,chrome valve covers (which I HATE and will be replacing with stock ones), duralast battery (of course it was dead), in a used tire shop lot in a hillbilly town ("cheapie's used tires"). Trans was toast too. It did have newer (but not that new) spark plugs and good oil though. It was a shitty truck, but had a nice engine in it.

    And whats wrong with fram oil filters?

  15. #45
    orconn's Avatar
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    12,883

    Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

    A bong in the ash tray always got me walkin'
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting