What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run away? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run away? in General Discussion; Blue Oval.......
    MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

Blue Oval....

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: What are the major red flags when looking at used cars that make you walk/run awa

Wheels larger than 18" on cars, car probably still wreaks of weed on the inside, judging by who drives cars with ridiculous wheels. Speaking of that, anybody who smokes in their car, if it smells like a bowling alley, forgitaboutittt.

Newer cars with trashed/nasty interiors. If you can't even keep the inside halfway clean, I know you never bothered with oil changes or other such "trivial" things.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

This is a very good question!

There are two types of red flags that make me walk/run away; red flags related to the dealer, red flags about the car itself.

Red flags related to the dealer:
    1- The sales guy complements me, my car, or the car that I am looking at too much and/or in a creepy way!
    Example 1: Sales guy: "I wish i looked like you because I would be able to pick up girls on a daily basis"! WTF!? Seriously?
    Example 2: I parked in front of the office and walked into the office. The sales manager knows me and knows that how much I love my Cadillac. Sales manager: "We all were looking at your Cadillac saying that what a clean car you have", and I was in an Audi dealership!
    Example 3: Sales guy who is trying to convince me to buy a Camaro: "test drive this car around and you will see how many girls will check you and you car out!

2- When I See a dirty, damaged car with problems sitting on the lot and the sales guy tries to convince me that they will fix all of the problems if I buy the car!

3- When the dealer tries to hide or underrate the problems!

4- When I mention the problems of the car and the guy stares at me and says that the car is used and it is normal, while my 14 year old Cadillac with 146k miles on it is cleaner and in better shape than their 5 year old car with just 50k!

5- When the seller says that the price is firm and asks me do I negotiate when I go to buy grocery.

====
    Red flags related to the car:
    1- Any form of "upgrade", modification, or aftermarket thing on the car is a red flag for me.
    2- Dirty, trashed interior.
    3- If the engine or transmission is replaced a few months ago! It begs the question if the owner has spent so much money to replace engine or transmission, why he is selling the car now?
    4- Any funny or strange noise, smell, or vibration.
    Cadillac_Fan and Cadillac_Fan like this.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    How about...

"This car was owned by one of our mechanics."

Yeah, and is that supposed to impress me? We all know that a mechanic doesn't work on their own cars properly because they've been doing it all day at work.
    KOT
    ..and when a mechanic decides it's time to just get rid of the car, you probably don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    The car looked so bad that the dealer took their logo and license frame off the car when he had it in for service.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    3- If the engine or transmission is replaced a few months ago! It begs the question if the owner has spent so much money to replace engine or transmission, why he is selling the car now?
    Amen! I've always wondered about this when i see an ad that says "less than 5000 miles on rebuilt/new engine".
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Likewise for all H-4 Subarus. Learned that one the hard way this month.
    I love used Outback wagons, living in a climate similar to St. Louis. But, I would only buy a used Outback if the HG had been done very recently. Likely,
    I would look for the 3.0 six cylinder. Gas mileage seems to be about the same, and that motor has avoided the Subaru HG plague.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict

..and when a mechanic decides it's time to just get rid of the car, you probably don't want it.

----------

Amen! I've always wondered about this when i see an ad that says "less than 5000 miles on rebuilt/new engine".
    A friend of mine bought a 190k suburban for 1800 with a trans with 3 months on it.....I wouldn't say the truck is a money pit (needed tires, brakes, and the rear end rebuilt), but it sure isn't in the best of shape (then again, against my advise, he bought it at night)....he woke up in the morning to find (surprise!) that he bought a rustbucket truck with a rotted out cargo doors sill, rusty fenders, quarters, and rockers

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94FWB, 07Terraza, 09G5, It's a driveway of GM's

Re: What Are The Major Red Flags When Looking At Used Cars That Make You Walk/Run Awa

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Aftermarket wheels. Excessive window tint. Evidence of tinkering with the air intake system. K&N anything. Evidence of tinkering with the OEM suspension. Aftermarket sound system. Hack jobs for muffler "upgrades". Oddball alarm and remote start systems, especially along with amateur install work. Rust in the lower fender and door seams. Over 100K miles. For a Northstar engine, earlier than year model 2000. An uncomfortable feeling that a transmission or clutch is not just right. Filthy oil on the engine dipstick. Overfilled transmission. ANY evidence of oil, gas or coolant snake oil use.
    Oh boy, this is just about every used car in Montreal!

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Re: What Are The Major Red Flags When Looking At Used Cars That Make You Walk/Run Awa

code p1258

BlazerZR5 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    "Mechanic's Special"
    ^I actually look for that! everything is negotiable as long as the price is.

I try to stay away from "main body damage"AKA roof,quarter panel..stuff like that,that requires welding or body filler. a bent up door,or fender is fine.even a bent frame as long as it unbolts.I stay away from "repainted" vehicles too. I'll buy a wreck long before I buy a rebuilt wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    ^This,lol. I'm a mechanic,when I sell a vehicle it was either put together cheap as possible intended for resale,it's at the point the value is less then the repairs,or I pieced it together from scraps parts or seconds that came from another vehicle I'm keeping,haha.

True story

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazerZR5

^I actually look for that! everything is negotiable as long as the price is.

I try to stay away from "main body damage"AKA roof,quarter panel..stuff like that,that requires welding or body filler. a bent up door,or fender is fine.even a bent frame as long as it unbolts.I stay away from "repainted" vehicles too. I'll buy a wreck long before I buy a rebuilt wreck.
    This. I bought my 00 safari with a bad motor BECAUSE it had a bad motor (cheap, and because I had a motor in a totaled van, even with labor, purchase price+ engine swap came in at about 1/3 book of the 00)
    I also bought my cadillac knowing it had some rust (on the door bottoms) and piddly body damage. I can fix that (or unbolt and swap parts)

The main points I look for are- not overly trashed interior, good mechanical condition, no frame damage or frame rot/ underbody rot, no major rust on welded on body panels, no aftermarket rims/ jacked up suspension mods, no ghetto stereo installation

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

#1. The seller is a college student.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

#2. The seller is a high school student.
    Kev, Kev, CadillacLuke24 and 1 others like this.

Kev

#3. The seller is an independent used car lot and the top of the salesman's shirt is open and he has one or more prominent gold chains around his neck . . . . .

(sorry Tony!)

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

#4. All the above...

Sorry, I had nothing.

KOT

Kev

^ well, that was definitely a typo!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.