$^&#* GM shipping and tracking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, $^&#* GM shipping and tracking in General Discussion; Two related topics that make GM look bad IMO. I ordered an ATS in February as a birthday present (April ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

$^&#* GM shipping and tracking

Two related topics that make GM look bad IMO.

I ordered an ATS in February as a birthday present (April 21st) for my wife. I got the usual dealer 6-8 week delivery estimate. They placed the order immediately because I got the order "number" the next day. Initial status showed no allocation, priority issues. The car was built on March 25th and GM tracking said it was on the train on March 26th. As of this morning it was in Kansas, 700 highway miles from Lansing. I know trains and cars use different routes, but that calculates out to barely 1 mile per hour for 3+ weeks! At that rate the car will be on the train for over 9 weeks plus at least another few days from the train depot to the dealer.

I've seen people ordering after me already driving their ATS (some taking delivery less than 5 weeks from order).

And it's bad enough that only Chevy buyers can track their own orders while Cadillac and other GM buyers have to ask someone else to give them some crumbs (hours or days later), but you also get conflicting reports. For instance, two weeks ago, the dealer said they should have it on April 9th or a few days later depending on how long by truck from the rail yard. Recently, the dealer told me the car was in Kansas on the 16th. After that Cadillac Customer Service on these forums told me the last known location was leaving Charlotte 6 days ago. And if true I still haven't figured out why they shipped my car East when I'm West of Lansing.

There is a reason GM provides customers with status updates. They wouldn't do it at all unless its important to SOME buyers. Maybe its not important to GM but it should matter to them that anything they screw up does influence people's purchasing decisions. I won't drive an automatic transmission but you can bet I wouldn't buy a manual transmission car from a manufacturer who's automatic transmissions are notorious for their failures. Any failures say something about how a company operate. I don't know how many GM customer orders are delayed with no explanation but you can't even count the number of people who take the time in various forums to complain about the horrible tracking system GM provides and has provided for some time.

I'll wager Walmart knows exactly where every pair of socks they have ordered is. Its ridiculous in this day and age that GM doesn't have a clue where expensive products are nearly a month after they leave the factory. And its almost as ridiculous that customers can't access that information themselves. This isn't the 1960s anymore, people. UPS can show you where a package is and even when it will be delivered. They charge just a few bucks to deliver some items and that includes paying for their trucks, planes, facilities, wages, etc.. Their actual tracking costs have to be peanuts.

I take it as a sign of disrespect for their customers that GM won't provide the same level of tracking that anyone can get for the smallest of their other purchases.

Anyone who feels the same, try not to take it out on the dealer or Customer Service who are probably doing the best they can with what they have.

I'm off to see if the BMW dealer still has the 328i we looked at. Tide and spouse birthdays wait for no man.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: $^&#* GM shipping and tracking

Disrespect from General Motors! You gotta be kidding..... the last time I heard about GM respecting a buyer was when someone was making a tender offer for the whole company and threatening to fire the CEO!

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Yeah, that is kind of, well, odd, that they can't give you a straight answer. Sure, the weather may have stopped it somewhere, depening on the route of the train, but still, they should take your advice and do a UPS style tracking (ATS loaded on train HERE, Train passed HERE at XXXpm on Y/Y/13, train passed HERE at ZZZZam on A/A/13).

I dunno, GM has got the building sweet cars down pat, maybe now they can improve their PR.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I agree -- that's ridiculous in this era of instant communication and high-tech logistics.

Cadillac should keep customers informed of their orders through live tracking and resolve whatever bottleneck is keeping their cars from being delivered in a more timely manner.

If you get an F30 3-series, avoid the luxury package. That basically morphs a decent sport sedan into a Lexus-like lump of nothingness.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I know BMW is VERY well known for letting you order a very custom car and giving it to you in short time. I googled BMW order time and found on the 3 series forum somebody ordered a 335i on 2-27 with a projected delivery date at the dealer of 5-9. Talk about precision, and this includes shipping the darn thing on a boat from Munich. This guy was bitching about how long it took for his car to get here, apparently a high demand for the six cylinder 335i or something.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Having been a lurker of F30 Post, make sure and order the Sport Package and add the adaptive sport suspension. Makes the car a whole lot sportier than the other models.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I agree -- that's ridiculous in this era of instant communication and high-tech logistics.

Cadillac should keep customers informed of their orders through live tracking and resolve whatever bottleneck is keeping their cars from being delivered in a more timely manner.

If you get an F30 3-series, avoid the luxury package. That basically morphs a decent sport sedan into a Lexus-like lump of nothingness.
    No line, luxury and modern package all have base suspension. Only the Sport and M Sport models have the sport suspension and to be honest that hasn't been received as well as the E46 and E90 were. I solely blame the electric steering for that though it didn't bother me. It just felt a little bit less "there" than the ATS did but I enjoy both cars.

It's just terrible. I would get conflicting information from the dealer and Cadillac Customer Service. And both were wrong even on the rare occasion they matched! For example both told me the car left the factory on March 26th. Based on everything the dealer could see after that, they were confident the car would be at the Phoenix rail yard as early as April 8th. I found out today that it still hadn't left the factory until April 9th.

My dealer salesman and sales manager spent hours on the phone going up the chain in GM to get an exact location of the rail car it was on. They could not get it. I'm sure there is an opportunity to steal cars on a grand scale with some inside help from a railroad employee. It appears the cars could be sold or stripped months before GM knew about it.

Anyway out of frustration, my salesman decided to activate my On-Star and begin the stolen car procedure. LoL. He had the exact GPS coordinates in seconds. They will deal with the side affects of the early activation later.

GM: your tracking is a joke which makes you a JOKE.

I decided to keep the car but only because I was so impressed with my dealer's ingenuity to outwit GM's formidable roadblocks to getting any meanigful tracking info.

As I said, you can't even count the complaints on the internet about GM's tracking.

Back in 2001 (I was ordering a 2002 model) when I ordered my Mercedes CLK I had clear communication on the car's build and shipping dates. Once the car was in transit I received updates as to when the car would arrive at the dealer. I cannot fault this service from Mercedes and to top it off the car was delivered two weeks ahead of schedule. And this was back in the "dark ages" of the new century.

It is very said to ear that General Motors is still treating their US customers in such a cavalier fashion. It is especially distressing to hear that that this kind of arrogant dismissal of state of the art customer service practices extends to the company's prestige division .... Cadillac!

Our British member's revelation that there are only four Cadillac service facilities in the U.K, despite a concerted effort to open the European (and U.K.) market to Cadillac, makes a joke of GM's supposedly "serious" effort to make the Seville competitive (having spent considerable amounts on left hand drive configuration and other modifications demanded by European markets). The same seems to also be the case now with the CTS models. This is clearly just another example of the incompetence of GM management to come to grips with the demands of the contemporary U.S. and world marketplace.

They just solved their problem. Free Onstar activation for tracking. Give the Onstar tech a special code to activate it so the customer doesn't get hosed.

Glad you got around the incompitence Hoosier Daddy. It close??

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    They just solved their problem. Free Onstar activation for tracking. Give the Onstar tech a special code to activate it so the customer doesn't get hosed.

Glad you got around the incompitence Hoosier Daddy. It close??
    It's close unless the rail car gets held up somewhere again. In addition to it not leaving the factory when they first said, the rail car got held up on the way somewhere. Neither GM or the railroad knows where, when or why. But barring another unforeseen delay somewhere it is supposed to hit Phoenix Tuesday and get to the dealer on Thursday. That will be 31 days from build to dealer at a blistering average of 2.6 MPH. Yes, that's right if I had decided to walk the route I would have to spend a lot of the time waiting for the train to catch back up to me.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    Having been a lurker of F30 Post, make sure and order the Sport Package and add the adaptive sport suspension. Makes the car a whole lot sportier than the other models.

----------

No line, luxury and modern package all have base suspension. Only the Sport and M Sport models have the sport suspension and to be honest that hasn't been received as well as the E46 and E90 were. I solely blame the electric steering for that though it didn't bother me. It just felt a little bit less "there" than the ATS did but I enjoy both cars.

The softer suspension is fine. The problem is the lifeless electric steering.

If you no longer have good feel in the steering .... you no longer have a BMW!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    It's close unless the rail car gets held up somewhere again. In addition to it not leaving the factory when they first said, the rail car got held up on the way somewhere. Neither GM or the railroad knows where, when or why. But barring another unforeseen delay somewhere it is supposed to hit Phoenix Tuesday and get to the dealer on Thursday. That will be 31 days from build to dealer at a blistering average of 2.6 MPH. Yes, that's right if I had decided to walk the route I would have to spend a lot of the time waiting for the train to catch back up to me.
    I'll keep my eyes out. Maybe I'll see a train with car carriers go by.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    I'll keep my eyes out. Maybe I'll see a train with car carriers go by.
    Where are you?

Oh, and you may need time lapse photography if you want to see it go by.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

The softer suspension is fine. The problem is the lifeless electric steering.
    I didn't have a huge problem with it. I have a feeling the LCI or the next generation will be fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.