1957 Series 62 2dr convertible
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Late50'sCaddy
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, 1957 Series 62 2dr convertible in General Discussion; I'm trying to help a friend get his 6-way power seat working all 6 ways. It goes forward/backward, but only ...
    Late50'sCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

1957 Series 62 2dr convertible

I'm trying to help a friend get his 6-way power seat working all 6 ways. It goes forward/backward, but only the rear of the bench seat goes up/down. The rear up/down motion works with both the center and rear switch pegs. When using the front switch peg, the motor turns but the seat doesn't move. How do you remove the solenoid and actuator from the threaded rod (operated by the motor) for inspection internally?

I currently have the seat assembly (which includes springs, cushions, upholstery, and framework for the seat itself) removed from the vehicle but the framework with all the solenoids, actuators, wiring, and motor is bolted to the floor so I can more easily see what works and doesn't work. I don't have a '57 Shop Manual. Do I need one to do the disassembly on the solenoid/actuators?

New to this Forum,
    David A. Johnson

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006
    Welcome to the forum. After checking all the obvious things, i would have to pull the whole seat and put it on my bench, then start testing for resistence and continuity with a multimeter and a 12v feed. Do not use pb blaster wd 40 etc on these electrical parts. Test them one at a time. Good luck, you must have a lot ofatience ans a steady hands

Late50'sCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: 1957 Series 62 2dr convertible

Shortly after posting this thread, I removed the power seat mechanicals from the upholstered portion of the bench seat and bolted it to the floor so I could watch its movement unobstructed. I had already done the voltage checks and found all three solenoids had 12v available when the appropriate switch handle was push/pulled. I then decided to physically disconnect the spade terminal that brought current to the suspect solenoid to do further elimination testing. That's when I discovered that the wire inside the cloth insulation was almost broken, just a couple strands left, which didn't allow enough current to the solenoid to energize it. I replaced the male spade terminal on the wire coming from the solenoid and reconnected it to the female spade terminal coming from the wiring harness and everything now worked. In other words, the voltage was there, but the current (amps) wasn't. Now I just have to attach the two main seat components to each other and reinstall in the vehicle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.