Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville in General Discussion; Hello, Everybody! Last September I fullfilled my childhood dream, and bought a Cadillac. Maybe this is not a big issue ...
    Botond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville 1988

Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville

Hello, Everybody!

Last September I fullfilled my childhood dream, and bought a Cadillac. Maybe this is not a big issue for You, but for me - as I am a hungarian guy, who lives in Transylvania, Eastern Europe - it is. :-) I grew up in the eighties, in the time of Ceausescu's horrific communist dictatorship, so I first saw a Cadillac in a smuggled-in cartoon. Yepp, we had to smuggle in the country even cartoons, books and video-tapes... Which were not allowed by the law. After that I was constantly dreaming about Cadillacs, so last year, as a birthday present I bought one for myself. :-)
    It is a '88 Seville, which is the single one of that type in the country. I know about 20 in the whole Europe. I know, it is the downsized model, but for me it is perfect, as it is perfect for the narrow streets of Europe, too. With the length of almost 5 meters it is considered a large car here, and it is a real head-turner. I use it as a daily driver and I try to keep this baby rolling as long as I can.
    Now, I have a few questions for You. I have been searching the net for months and there are a few things, I cannot answer... please help.
    1. I don't know the trim level. It has a standard Seville body, but the interior and the grille is the STS layout.
    2. It has the 4.5 V8 engine, but in the title says, it has 134 KW, which is Allante-, or later STS-power. I know, there were more powerful engines, than the standard 155 bhp V8, but only after '89. Mine is an '88, the VIN says it clearly.
    3. Is it an '88 STS, or is it a standard Seville with some STS package? If it is, how come, the body is standard? Or it has only the interior trim, or other STS specifics, too, like more powerful engine, different stearing ratio, etc.? I am confused. I have no idea, how the car entered Europe, the only thing I know for sure is, that in '94 it was in Germany. If You have any infos about the STS package, serial stuff and so on, please let me know. Thank You!

Love&Respect!

Botond

P.s. Sorry for my English. :-) Here are some pics of the car.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Cadillac in Transylvania

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Botond, Welcome !!!

You might want to look through the Seville/Eldorado forums, and try to search for threads by using the Google search - type in "cadillac forums 1988 seville" - that returns many threads from this website.

We have several members who have versions of that car - more information will follow here...............
    Botond and Botond like this.

Re: Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville

Hello!

Thank You, I try that also, but I hope I can get some ''live'' answers, too. :-)

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Welcome and nice Seville!

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Welcome the cadillacforums! Glad to hear that you finally got to fufill your childhood dream of owning a cadillac.
    As for your car
    That appears to be an STS (and a very nice and well taken care of one at that)...they had the orange corners on the taillights and the european style license plate space on the back of the car (regular sevilles had a smaller american style plate space). The interior is also correct for the STS. Do you have any pictures of the front and rear consoles? (I've never seen a late 80s STS in person and would like to see what the consoles look like)

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Welcome! Buying a Cadillac is always a big deal, but I see by your history even more so for you. What you have gone through in those days are unimaginable to most of us. Thank you for sharing your beautiful Cadillac and your history with us.

Your English is perfect, no need to worry about that. You are better than a lot of our native born speakers!
    Enjoy your new Cadillac and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Thatd be cool to see a Hearse owner living in Transylvania. Congrats and welcome, my #1 best buds in california are from Romania, Bucharest to be exact. Again, welcome

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

That is one slick Cadillac! Welcome!

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Thatd be cool to see a Hearse owner living in Transylvania. Congrats and welcome, my #1 best buds in california are from Romania, Bucharest to be exact. Again, welcome
    My Dear Sister with whom I was raised by our Adoptive Mum is Transylvanian by Birth (Transylvania being a region in Romania, along the Carpathian mountain range, naturally and with her being the sole reason this thread title caught my eye). The American (particularly urban, I suppose, since I never heard of it until moving to the Suburbs of Florida) association between Transylvania and the Horror Genre (Due to Bram Stoker, of course) is something she and I hear quite a lot. The fact us good kids from the mountains collect antique Luxury cars (which tend to be associated with Villains in American media today) and all seem to own Hearses doesn't seem to help end the stereotype. Then again, our particular place of birth and rearing can't help much either.

While I have never gone and visited (having made made many more friends in my life from the region) I do feel it is a place I could happily live. The countryside there is absolutely beautiful. I've actually been offered a home in Timişoara, which I have gathered is where all of the tourists end up, due to the presence of an Airport there (Similar to how so many people have been to Atlanta, GA in The United States, due to their airport).

It is nice to see someone appreciating a fine American Luxury Car, especially in a place where owning one is that much more special.

I shall have to send her these photos now.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    My Dear Sister with whom I was raised by our Adoptive Mum is Transylvanian by Birth (Transylvania being a region in Romania, along the Carpathian mountain range, naturally and with her being the sole reason this thread title caught my eye). The American (particularly urban, I suppose, since I never heard of it until moving to the Suburbs of Florida) association between Transylvania and the Horror Genre (Due to Bram Stoker, of course) is something she and I hear quite a lot. The fact us good kids from the mountains collect antique Luxury cars (which tend to be associated with Villains in American media today) and all seem to own Hearses doesn't seem to help end the stereotype. Then again, our particular place of birth and rearing can't help much either.

While I have never gone and visited (having made made many more friends in my life from the region) I do feel it is a place I could happily live. The countryside there is absolutely beautiful. I've actually been offered a home in Timişoara, which I have gathered is where all of the tourists end up, due to the presence of an Airport there (Similar to how so many people have been to Atlanta, GA in The United States, due to their airport).

It is nice to see someone appreciating a fine American Luxury Car, especially in a place where owning one is that much more special.

I shall have to send her these photos now.
    Yea, ever since their mom (my second mom) passed away, ive been waiting for the girls to pick up on the cooking that made mom famous in the neighborhood, i miss the cabbage rolls, pierogis, and the strawberry desert shed make. The dinner table would always be filled with food to eat and when id come to visit thats the first thing id get (or forced to) is a hug, and a bite to eat. I miss that woman..

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

That is something I appreciate about my rural upbringing among my culturally expansive adoptive family. Across this nation and others around the world, there are many places where the kettle is always on and the bread in the kitchen is always warm, even in the dead of winter. My Adoptive sister from Transylvania actually has no surviving blood family (To which I can relate ) since the passing of her birth mother five years ago, but collectively, her and I have as much "family" as anyone could ever ask for. It was nice a few weeks back when I got to visit my Homeland and coordinate arrivals with both her and our third sibling, my other adoptive sister. We've all gotten bigger, but other than that, it seems nothing else has changed about the lot of us, even with exposure to the outside world. I could imagine the funny looks we'd get if we met up in a more "typical" urban area, like any of the airports local to Central FL.

And there's the Homesickness...

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Welcome and congratulations on your acquisition of a life long dream! Keep us posted on you life with your Seville!

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

welcome , and thank you for sitcking it to the communists by buying the american dream !!

now go out for a drive on Ceausescu's highway , that way he will turn over in his grave as one of his subjects now drives a rolling symbol of freedom over the road he created by forced slave labor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.