Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree47Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville in General Discussion; ...
    Botond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville 1988

Re: Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville

Hello, Guys!

Something fantastic happened today, I have to share with You. I think, You would appreciate.
    So, today my mother's aunt visited us (she lives in Austria since 1987). It was a really nice family reunion, and my mom put a paper box on the table, which was full of old family photos, letters, etc. There I found a postcard from my grandparents. They somehow managed to travel to Western Europe in the first years of the eighties. Communist Romania was a closed country, common people were not allowed to travel abroad, only once in 5-10 years (we should not see how the western people live), so it was a really-really big deal. Because of this, my grandparents send us a lot of postcards from their trip. And here we go: I found a postcard, which was adressed to me. It was written in 1983, I was 2 years old that time. I found my grandmother's handwriting on it (I adored her, she passed in 1996, I miss her really much even today). It was the only postcard, adressed to me. The first two lines are: ”My baby, look at these beautiful cars over here...” And, on the photo there was the cathedral of Münster (West Germany at the time), and in front of the cathedral there was a CADILLAC SEVILLE! Just like mine, off course, from the previous generation. But still a Seville! You have to understand, these cars are extremely rare here. It is not a VW Golf or Opel Astra, what can be found at every corner. I think, there are not more than 100-150 Sevilles in the whole Europe from those generations. And I just found a postcard from my late grandmother, written 1983, in the worst years of a horrible dictatorship, about the beautiful cars of West Germany. And there is, in the center of the picture the car, which I bought almost 20 years later!

I do not believe in luck, I think everything happens for a reason. This strange moment just strengthened that belief. And I almost heard my grandparents voice from the past, from the skies. It was a heartbreaking moment. Sorry for the long post, but I had to share with You.. :-)

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

A great story, well told! It is amazing how seemingly small ideas, planted by our family members can grow and become major sources of our enjoyment. My 22 aunts and uncles certainly left their mark on my ideas and the way I live today, and throughout my life. My Uncle Ralph, comes to mind, and his love of the beauty some cars possess. Back in the early 1950's cars were thought to be just cars, their beauty and aesthetic worth were not thought of as an art form. Uncle Ralph loved automobiles not just because of their speed but also because of the beauty their designs possessed. He collected and restored the classic cars of the 1930's long before these cars became fashionable and prestigious to own and collect. I also was attracted to cars with beautiful designs. We were both fond of the first Continentals, and big fans of the coffin nosed Cords. Uncle Ralph went on to own Dusenburgs, Cords, Auburns, Packards and Marmons, and later a collection of the first two seat thunderbirds. There were others in the family who liked cars, but only the two of us loved their beauty to the point of making them a major part of pur lives.

----------

A great story, well told! It is amazing how seemingly small ideas, planted by our family members can grow and become major sources of our enjoyment. My 22 aunts and uncles certainly left their mark on my ideas and the way I live today, and throughout my life. My Uncle Ralph, comes to mind, and his love of the beauty some cars possess. Back in the early 1950's cars were thought to be just cars, their beauty and aesthetic worth were not thought of as an art form. Uncle Ralph loved automobiles not just because of their speed but also because of the beauty their designs possessed. He collected and restored the classic cars of the 1930's long before these cars became fashionable and prestigious to own and collect. I also was attracted to cars with beautiful designs. We were both fond of the first Continentals, and big fans of the coffin nosed Cords. Uncle Ralph went on to own Duesenbergs, Cords, Auburns, Packards and Marmons, and later a collection of the first two seat thunderbirds. There were others in the family who liked cars, but only the two of us loved their beauty to the point of making them a major part of pur lives.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

It is things like that, the sharing of stories, history, that make the hobby great. Every car has a story to tell, it just seems that Cadillac being a prestige brand, has a deeper meaning to people. I also am a believer that everything happens for a reason. The good and the bad.

It is good to hear from you again.

Bullitt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Botond View Post
    I do not believe in luck, I think everything happens for a reason.
    Yeah, I don't believe in it either. Yesterday before I saw Your post I watched old test drive of a 88' STS.
    http://jalopnik.com/for-the-1989-cad...rna-1445163023

Best wishes from Your new former soviet bloc mate
    I like your Cadillac very much. I admit they must be rare. We have very many 80-90's Cadillacs in Poland but never have I seen Your one.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Thanks for that link! Really cool footage of a great Cadillac!

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

Botond, My father was 100% Hungarian. His parents immigrated to US in 1890's. They were peasants from the countryside! Good hard working people that made a good life for themselves in America. My father always drove Cadillac.

Nice Seville. It is in great shape.

You can always get parts on Ebay.

good luck!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.