Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy welcome , and thank you for sitcking it to the communists by buying the american dream ...
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Cadillac in Transylvania - 1988 Seville

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy View Post
    welcome , and thank you for sitcking it to the communists by buying the american dream !!

now go out for a drive on Ceausescu's highway , that way he will turn over in his grave as one of his subjects now drives a rolling symbol of freedom over the road he created by forced slave labor.
    Sticking it to the Communist? Brezhnev dearly loved his 1976 Eldorado convertible and used to drive it often in his "free time!" If I remember coreectly, the Eldorado was a gift from President Nixon!

Botond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Seville 1988

Hello!

Thank You for all Your kind words! I'm surprised how many of You know about my country and like my people. :-) Maybe it is the spirit of us. :-) For instance, my childhood was marked by poverty because the dictatorship, but it was also beautiful: I have wonderful parents, who taught me that we can be happy, even if we are poor and we can enjoy all the small presents of life. Like sunshine. :-) And secondly, the feeling of brotherhood between the common people (romanians, hungarians, germans - transylvanian ethnic groups) was AWESOME: we had to be united, and we were really united against the common enemy - the system. I really miss that kind of unity nowadays, even though the remains if it still exists. That's why we like so much visitors and we have so goood kitchen here. :-D @vincentm, cabbage rolls are my favourites. @The-Dullahan, Timisoara (or Temesvár in Hungarian and Temeswar in German) is a beautiful city, You really should visit once. Transylvania is a multi-ethnic region, in the Middle Ages it belonged to the Kingdom of Hungary, after that it was independent, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, now part of todays Romania: the cultural richness is overwhelming. Maybe some of You don't know, but the religious freedom in the whole Europe was proclaimed foremost in Transylvania: at Turda (Torda in HU) in 1568. Tolerance is a transylvanian trademark. The landscape is beautiful, we have great plains and great mountains, where people live by their ancestors lifestyle.

But, we lack fine american cars... They were not the communist regime's favourites. :-) So, my Cadillac-quest is adventurous, we have no parts and no Cadillac-shops here, I had to order everything on the internet. Parts are cheap, but shipping is expensive. Thanks' God, the car drives smooth and nice, it starts first even in the coldest winter (and winters are COLD here). But it has faults too, which have to be healed. It needs some bodywork: in the previous owner's time, it was hit by a truck and it was pushed some 15 meters into another car... The repair was not succesful, that's why the right side doors don't sit well in their openings - this has to be cured. I have some minor issues with the brakes and with the suspension, I am trying to figure out, what's wrong. City MPG is gruesome (11), highway MPG is really good (28), I think the difference is just too big, but this is it...

I would be really happy to find out that my car is an early STS. @cadillac kevin, I post some pics of the interior. I don't have many pictures, but I am going to shoot some in the next few days. Here they are: Caddd2.jpgCaddd.jpgCaddd1.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy View Post
    welcome , and thank you for sitcking it to the communists by buying the american dream !!

now go out for a drive on Ceausescu's highway , that way he will turn over in his grave as one of his subjects now drives a rolling symbol of freedom over the road he created by forced slave labor.
    The sweet taste of late revenge! :-D This is one more big plus of the Caddy... That we won, not them. :-)

----------

This is true, but they kept those cars for themselves. I mean, the common people had no right to buy such a car. It was not allowed by the state...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Sticking it to the Communist? Brezhnev dearly loved his 1976 Eldorado convertible and used to drive it often in his "free time!" If I remember coreectly, the Eldorado was a gift from President Nixon!
    This is true, but they kept those cars for themselves. I mean, the common people had no right to buy such a car. It was not allowed by the state...

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I did not mean that those aside from those who occupied the innacles of power in the Soviet Union had access or could afford to own Western cars, but rather that those at the highest levels of power in the USSR and its' Satellites had a penchant for Western cars.

Of course, they had. :-) They knew which were the best cars... And they knew also, they cannot make cars like that. Like Cadillacs, Lincolns or Mercedeses for example. :-)

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I really would like to visit. I know very much about the area (Especially in the days of yore) because I spent most of my youth being taught of such things.

As I later learned through extensive genealogical study, much of my Irish family (We Irish got around a lot, influencing culture so far, there are Asian landmarks with Irish names, due to our long history of selling ourselves as Mercenaries and bringing our entire families along) has been there at some time or other, not that I can pinpoint exactly when or for how long. It's all an extensive mystery involving about war, famine, plague and notorious weapons merchants bestowing gifts to an invading Graf to build an army for future war, sometime around the the last years of Janos Zapolyai's life, with many of them staying in Wallachia for the time being (Which is actually named thusly, because it is derived from a Saxon-Germanic name referencing Celtic tribesmen, as they were prominent in the area, due to the wars going on with the related Ottoman Empire at large.

Someplace in each of our family bloodlines, there is a possible chance that some of my Adoptive Sister's family was familiar with my own in at least an introductory way. We are also both descended from somewhat shady people, as it turns out. No wonder we got along so well.

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville

You have what appears to be a standard Seville with the entire STS interior & grill but you have something much rarer than a STS, its a actual Euro-market Seville.
    Headlights are way different, dual filament single bulb with integrated turn signal, and the very, very rare/unobtanium 2nd style Euro tail lenses. US-STS' have a tri-coloured lense and this one has red/red/amber.
    I wonder if the euro cars got the STS-style interior, i'll have to check some auction sites as i'm very intrigued as the only other Eurospec-Seville had the STS grill.
    If you can post the first 10 characters of the vin number.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Yea, ever since their mom (my second mom) passed away, ive been waiting for the girls to pick up on the cooking that made mom famous in the neighborhood, i miss the cabbage rolls, pierogis, and the strawberry desert shed make. The dinner table would always be filled with food to eat and when id come to visit thats the first thing id get (or forced to) is a hug, and a bite to eat. I miss that woman..
    Dood! Is there anyone other than me that you are not in some way related to on this forum?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by STS_Seville_Hunter View Post
    You have what appears to be a standard Seville with the entire STS interior & grill but you have something much rarer than a STS, its a actual Euro-market Seville.
    Headlights are way different, dual filament single bulb with integrated turn signal, and the very, very rare/unobtanium 2nd style Euro tail lenses. US-STS' have a tri-coloured lense and this one has red/red/amber.
    I wonder if the euro cars got the STS-style interior, i'll have to check some auction sites as i'm very intrigued as the only other Eurospec-Seville had the STS grill.
    If you can post the first 10 characters of the vin number.
    Well, this explains a lot! I remember the STS was a mid-year introduction, but I can't remember if it was in 1988 or 1989. It seems logical that Cadillac would put the STS interior in the export market Seville, as it would be much more fitting of the price an export market buyer would have to pay. The rims are interesting, as well. I've never seen them before.

Botond! Hope you enjoy it here!

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Dood! Is there anyone other than me that you are not in some way related to on this forum?
    He's not related to me.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quote Originally Posted by Botond View Post
    The sweet taste of late revenge! :-D This is one more big plus of the Caddy... That we won, not them. :-)

----------

----------

it wasnt just cars ....levi's jeans were banned along with any sort of western fashion. "state" police would cut your jeans up infront of you if you were caught wearing them , and if you modified your clothes in a western fashion they were cut up too ...
    western music was illegally recorded in east germany and transfered to a record made of some non vynal material and would sell for 2 weeks of a workers pay...and we are talking songs that didnt even make the top 40 here ...
    its just amazing how sealed off the communists were
    Botond and Botond like this.

Hello, Everyone!

Sorry for missing so long, I had to travel a lot. :-) Thank You for all your kind words. The Seville runs great, I use it almost every rainy day. The summer arrived, on sunny days I'm riding my motorcycle. :-) Still didn't figure out the trim level, but I got some additional info about the car. It was purchased, when new by an older gentleman in Switzerland, so it is clearly an Euro-spec model. It was in his posession until 2001, when somebody from Hungary bought it. He sold it to my friend in 2010, and I bought from that biker buddy in 2012. So, I am the fourth owner. Not much info, but it is good for a start. :-) During the past months I changed the cooling fluid (as it is written in the service manual), the brake-lines and tubes (it had a leak) and changed some parts of the suspension (biiiiig change of feeling - it doesn't shake me anymore :-) ). More photos soon. Take care! :-)

I forgot: this may we were at a great oldtimer-classic car meeting in my hometown. There were some 40 classics. The Seville was the only U.S.-made beauty there. Here she is, exposed at the Youngtimer section, near a neat Ford Capri. :-) caddy.JPGcaddy1.JPG

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Still looking great! Glad to see you back again.

After looking at the photos in the thread again I noticed the interior looks like one of the four bucket seat models. I have heard about them but never had the pleasure of seeing one in person. They were the closest thing to the Talisman ever made. I would love to see more pictures of the interior if you have the chance.

It is a shame there are not more US cars in your show.
    Kind of great to be you though! I bet it got a lot of attention.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Nice Seville!

Dave, the "four bucket seat" models are the first gen STSs. The rear center seat in those cars is a joke, so there's really no loss of seating. The extra wood and nicer looking seats makes it worth it anyway.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.