Looking for a good "toy" car! - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Looking for a good "toy" car! in General Discussion; Old M cars ate me out of house and home....
    Koooop is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor
    Old M cars ate me out of house and home.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Looking for a good "toy" car!

Update: I am having some complications in financing the cars I like....
    It is virtually impossible to finance a 2004-2006 car, unless you want to accept a ridiculously high APR, and I have absolutely no intention for it.... My credit union is giving me 1.99% APR for 2008 or newer used cars, but I don't want to buy a 2008 or newer car because their price tags are higher than my price range for the fun car. I can afford to buy newer or a brand new car, but that is no financially very wise. Well, actually buying a second fun car by itself is not financially a good decision, but boys need toys!

How do people finance a 2004-2006 CTS-V, STS-V or BMW that still has a high price tag? These cars are not cash cars, at least for many! Basically financing a relatively old car that is out of warranty is not a very god idea. I understand that. But I am looking for a 3 year loan that I am planing to pay off in 2 years or less.

My options are: 1- Buying a 5-6k car that I can pay cash. The problem is I can't find many fun cars in this price range 2- Getting a personal loan and buying any car I like, no matter which year it is. I spoke with the loan officer and I might be able to get a personal loan with 3.77% APR. Else the best they can do is 8.5% APR! 3- Forgetting the fun car.... I don't know....

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Update: I am having some complications in financing the cars I like....
    It is virtually impossible to finance a 2004-2006 car, unless you want to accept a ridiculously high APR, and I have absolutely no intention for it.... My credit union is giving me a great 1.99% APR for 2008 or newer used cars, but I don't want to buy a 2008 or newer car because their price tags are higher than my allocated price range for the fun car. I can afford to buy newer or a brand new car, but that is no financially very wise. Well, actually buying a second fun car by itself is not financially a good decision, but boys need toys!

How do people finance a 2004-2006 CTS-V, STS-V or BMW that still has a high price tag? These cars are not cash cars, at least for many! Basically financing a relatively old car that is out of warranty is not a very god idea. I understand that. But I am looking for a 3 year loan that I am planing to pay off in 2 years or less.

My options are: 1- Buying a 5-6k car that I can pay cash. The problem is I can't find many fun cars in this price range 2- Getting a personal loan and buying any car I like, no matter which year it is. I spoke with the loan officer and I might be able to get a personal loan with 3.77% APR. Else the best they can do is 8.5% APR! 3- Forgetting the fun car.... I don't know....
    I forget what you are looking for in a fun car? Buy a 2002 Camaro there in that $6K price range and have a LS1 in it.

I am leaning toward V1 or 330ci, and I have found very good examples of them around myself. For some reason I lost my interest in F-body cars....

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I am leaning toward V1 or 330ci, and I have found very good examples of them around myself. For some reason I lost my interest in F-body cars....
    The F-Bodies are really only fun on a straight road doing burnouts. Hell your Seville can do that (though obviously not as great as a Camaro). The E46 or V1 will provide you with good straight line power and when the roads get twisty can actually make the turn without that annoying tire scrubbing understeer the Seville's have.

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    The F-Bodies are really only fun on a straight road doing burnouts. Hell your Seville can do that (though obviously not as great as a Camaro). The E46 or V1 will provide you with good straight line power and when the roads get twisty can actually make the turn without that annoying tire scrubbing understeer the Seville's have.
    Hey hey don't hate on the F-body if you put some $$ into it she will handle great! "Are you faster then a redneck"

Ryan

Do you remember once I posted a white, garage kept, one owner 2004 330ci that had optional Style 71 18" wheels with just 48k miles? Someone bought it for less than 12k! I am not sure about the final number, but it was less than 12k! I still cry myself to sleep at night....

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03 View Post
    Hey hey don't hate on the F-body if you put some $$ into it she will handle great! "Are you faster then a redneck"
    Well, there are a few reasons that I lost my interest. 1) F body cars are old, 2) They are good for quarter mile. and 3) I am looking for something a little bit more refined and modern than the F body.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

If it were me living in Hawaii, old Miata would be the ticket for $6,000. I'm sure there aren't a lot of straight roads for you to open up a 350+hp beast like a Corvette or Camaro on in Hawaii. And who cares if its noisy, cramped, has no back seat, its a fun car right??? Just for you and the misses to enjoy on those special occasions, its not like you have to live with it every day. Plus they're reliable, something that can't be said of an OLD Alfa, TR-6, Austin-Healey, etc.

Ryan

Do you remember once I posted a white, garage kept, one owner 2004 330ci that had optional Style 71 18" wheels with just 48k miles? Someone bought it for less than 12k! I am not sure about the final number, but it was less than 12k! I still cry myself to sleep at night....[COLOR="Silver"]
    Yeah that car was pretty clean. The lower mileage E46 get snapped up pretty quickly these days; most of them have over 100k miles and require pretty much an entire refresh before they feel like new again. The lower mileage ones don't need as much work but there still are some specifics that would need to be taken care of on any newly acquired E46.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    If it were me living in Hawaii, old Miata would be the ticket for $6,000. I'm sure there aren't a lot of straight roads for you to open up a 350+hp beast like a Corvette or Camaro on in Hawaii. And who cares if its noisy, cramped, has no back seat, its a fun car right??? Just for you and the misses to enjoy on those special occasions, its not like you have to live with it every day. Plus they're reliable, something that can't be said of an OLD Alfa, TR-6, Austin-Healey, etc.

^^^ If I lived on Oahu and wanted a fun car for recreation it would definitely be a Miata! Not hard on gas consumption and capable on the more challenging winding island roads!

Yeah that car was pretty clean. The lower mileage E46 get snapped up pretty quickly these days; most of them have over 100k miles and require pretty much an entire refresh before they feel like new again. The lower mileage ones don't need as much work but there still are some specifics that would need to be taken care of on any newly acquired E46.
    Yes, I should have dipped into my savings and bought that thing.... If something like that shows up again, I will buy it right off the spot with my savings....

----------

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    ^^^ If I lived on Oahu and wanted a fun car for recreation it would definitely be a Miata! Not hard on gas consumption and capable on the more challenging winding island roads!
    Based on what I have heard, Miata should be a true drivers car. But to be honest I am not a big fan of its size, shape, and look.

UPDATE:

I had one week off, and I have spent the entire week test driving different cars and evaluating different options. Too many different cars and too many details. Here I try to summarize the review of the cars, the results of my researches about them, and my thoughts about the cars I drove in a few key words. This should be helpful for someone who is looking for a fun car to buy too.

=============
    Infinity G35

425c59720a0d02b700ba007ef41e8b1d.jpg

Pros: Looks gorgeous, very quick car, very spacious as a coupe car, rear seats are actually usable, a practical coupe, relatively reliable and cheap to repair and maintain.
    Cons: It is relatively heavy and it shows its weights in the corners, not very well planted compared to a BMW.
    Price range: anywhere between 7.5k-15k based on the condition, mileage, and the year.

My decision: G35 could be the perfect fun car for me. It is a good looking, quick, and cheap fun car. But it didn't perform as well as some other coupes I test drove. So I have almost scratched G35 from my list. IF you are looking for a spacious, good looking, quick, RWD, and affordable coupe and don't mind it's mediocre handling, G35 is the perfect coupe for you.

==========
    Regular BMW E46
    3Gb3F13J75H75J55M1d3u956d9a2988871bec.jpg

Pros: Great handing (if equipped with sports package), very refined and elegant interior and exterior (especially if it is equipped with sports and premium packages), a true drivers car.
    Cons: A very cliché and overplayed car! These cars are not the most reliable car sand the cheapest cars to repair and maintain, but they are not very unreliable or expensive to keep either! Did I say it is a cliché car?, A Palin car if it is the base model, and the handling is not superb if it is the basic model. Did I say it is a cliché car?
    Price range: A base, 325i trim can be very cheap, even as cheap as 3grands, if the mileage is high. A nice, low mileage and fully loaded 330ci (coupe) is hard to find and can be as expensive as 15k and more.

My decision: I think a 330ci with sports and premium package is a very good toy car for me, if I find one. I am even considering buying one from the mainland and having it shipped over here. I didn't like the base 4-door E46s. They don't live up to BMW's reputation as a true sports luxury car, and they look like a family sedan rather than a true sports car.

=========
    E46 M3
    3Gf3Jc3H65I35Le5K2d3l131b9de83fbf15ed.jpg
    Pros: Absolutely good looking and beautiful car, superb handling and performance.
    Cons: Expensive to buy, fix, and maintain; hard to fully utilize the high-revving engine of the car while you are driving in a city. Unfortunately the M3 is the symbolic car for statues-seeking people, especially in Hawaii!

Price range: Anywhere between 8-30k based on the mileage and the condition of the car. However, buying a cheap M3 is not a very good idea....

My decision: I love the way M3 looks and handles. I found the suspension of M3 very livable even as a daily driver. The 3.2L engine is not very different from the regular 3.0L, unless you really rev it up. The low end torque is nothing very special. The main advantage of 3.2L engine is that you can rev it up all the way to 8k RPM, and you really can not do it while you are driving in a city. I am going to pass!
    =========

There are many more cars. I will write the rest tomorrow! i need to go and sleep now!

Great reviews on the cars for sure. I do have to disagree with you on the E46 sedan though. My model does not have the sport package and I didn't feel it handled badly or much worse than the cars I drove that did have the sport package. I have found that the E46 line in general are great handling cars even if you buy the most basic model. But alas I did find the sport package cars to have a harsher ride for me and I already find the base model cars on the edge of that as the Seville's ride is so much smoother.

Great reviews on the cars for sure. I do have to disagree with you on the E46 sedan though. My model does not have the sport package and I didn't feel it handled badly or much worse than the cars I drove that did have the sport package. I have found that the E46 line in general are great handling cars even if you buy the most basic model. But alas I did find the sport package cars to have a harsher ride for me and I already find the base model cars on the edge of that as the Seville's ride is so much smoother.
    I agree with everything you said. I think there is no disagreement between us. The base sedan is a good handling car and is a very good choice as a daily driver and a practical car. But here I am looking for a second car just for the sake of fun. As a result, I want a great handling car and a slight compromise of comfort is not a big deal for me.

Here I am evaluating the cars solely based on their handling. I even removed G35 from my shopping list just because of its handling. G35 has some "wobbling" and that was all enough to fail my test. If we want to compare your E46 with my car of choice, we need to compare your BMW with my Seville, which is my choice for my daily driving!
    The base E46 is a great option for someone who is seeking a fun, but at the same time practical and comfortable, car. There is no argue on that! It has the bests from the both worlds. But I am looking for a great handling car, and don't care a lot about practicality or comfort. That being said, I should mentions that I didn't find M3 very uncomfortable or impractical.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

about six years ago we were looking for a new car for my son. Actually it was for his wife, but he would also be driving it. We drove the Infinity G35 and I found it way over rated. Yes, it had good acceleration, but its' handling was nothing great for a car of its' type. The car came across to me as being rather crude and the fit and finish and materials of the interior were rather cheap!

He ended up getting a BMW sedan which he still has.
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.