Looking for a good "toy" car! - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Looking for a good "toy" car! in General Discussion; What about a Volkswagen Corrado V6 Turbo? Attachment 103899...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Looking for a good "toy" car!

What about a Volkswagen Corrado V6 Turbo?

Attachment 103899

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post

Attachment 103899
    Where in the heck would you find one of those though? Especially in Hawaii. I know VW's were never popular here in TN, but still I NEVER see any that are more than about 10-13 years old. 70's/80's/90's models around in this part are NON-EXISTENT. If you just look at what you see on the road around in my parts, you would think that there was a production gap from the old air-cooled Beetles/buses to the "new Beetle".

I don't know about the land between the Coasts, but in California and in Virginia VWs are pretty common. I know of two Corrados that live within a quarter of a mile from me.

Don't know about their availability in the Islands, but if a good was to be found it would make a great "toy" car for someone who wanted a a quick, fun, closed car that was attractive and handled really well. I've only heard good things about Corrados.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Just a quick update: I have been very busy with a new project. I need to submit something till early March, and then will restart my car shopping again. But the good news is that my two candidate cars are still up for sale and their asking prices keep going down!
    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/cto/3613347931.html
    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/3589712401.html

----------

[/COLOR]

Attachment 103899
    I never have seen one of these cars on the island, let alone finding one that is up for sale. VW GTI is another interesting car that meets the requirements to be called a fun car. I sat behind the wheel of a new GTI and found it too cramped! Maybe I am just used to big, roomy, and comfortable interior of my Cadillac, I don't know!

Another news is that I heard that the new V3 will be available in 2014. As a result the V2 shoppers may need to wait a few more months to take advantage of the big incentives that should be available during the last months of 2013. Those incentives may affect the market value of used V2s, and even V1 as well![COLOR="Silver"]

By the way, there is a new kid on the block, Chevrolet SS! I am hoping they keep the price tag low. Anything more than 40k will be too much. I would say, ideally, this car needs to be priced less than 35k! 2014 seems to be a great year; ATS-V, CTS-V3, Chevrolet SS, 2014 Corvette Stingray!

LS1Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): none :(

I don't know about the land between the Coasts, but in California and in Virginia VWs are pretty common. I know of two Corrados that live within a quarter of a mile from me.

Don't know about their availability in the Islands, but if a good was to be found it would make a great "toy" car for someone who wanted a a quick, fun, closed car that was attractive and handled really well. I've only heard good things about Corrados.
    I have only heard bad things about them. That is to say reliabiltiy and Maintenance.

And no one I know ever bought a 4th gen LS1 F-body for the interior...You are missing the point of the car if the dash is that important.
    It is crude and very nice to drive with the T-tops out in the summer.
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Searching for the right one..

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Mike View Post
    I have only heard bad things about them. That is to say reliabiltiy and Maintenance.

And no one I know ever bought a 4th gen LS1 F-body for the interior...You are missing the point of the car if the dash is that important.
    It is crude and very nice to drive with the T-tops out in the summer.
    Very true! I took the cover off mine on Sunday and drove it around the block.... the interior was the last thing that put a grin on my face

LS1Mike is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): none :(

Quote Originally Posted by 96Fleetwood View Post
    Very true! I took the cover off mine on Sunday and drove it around the block.... the interior was the last thing that put a grin on my face
    Mine always brings a smile to my face when I row through the gears.

E46 330ci vs E46 M3:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/3654610187.html
    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/3654688088.html

Ian once told me to totally forget the M3. He said for regular driving, the M3 is not a good car and 330 is a much better choice. I also read that the maintenance costs of a M3 are very higher than the maintenance costs of a regular E46 BMW. Any other idea on M3? IF I want to buy a M3, this one seems to be the perfect M3 for me! That E46 330ci seems to be a good car too, well, other than those ugly rims!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Maintenance will definitely be higher. That I-6 is high strung and really needs to be wound up for max thrust.

Personally, I would love to live with that. But for most, the 330 would be the better choice...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

The 330's wheels and color would eliminate for me .... black car in the tropics is a no go! While the mileage seems low, it is now approaching an age and mileage where expensive refurbishment and maintenance really begin to be a factor. My son's 2006 BMW is now becoming a money pit. Of course he must depend on dealerships and specialty repair to do the work .... but his Bimmer is costing him considerably than my '95 Seville STS even though they both currently have the same mileage on them.

Ian gave you good advice on the M cars. if you have been happy with Buick Regals and Sevilles in the past, you are unlikely to find the driving demands of the M to be that enjoyable and the extra expense a waste of money.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Ben, the M is simply not worth it. The extra cost to run it would significantly outweigh it's fun factor, though from what I've read they are amazing cars to drive. However, they require good amounts of money to keep them on the road and it's just not worth it. Regardless of what BMW you buy, you'll need to set aside at least $1.5k to $3k at all times just in case something goes wrong. As far as maintenance with these cars they can be maintained cheaper than the Seville's, but if you take it to a dealership or indy all the time they are neck and neck. DIY'ing on the E46 chassis is very easy to do and take this from a guy who never worked on a car in his entire life until I bought my 323, it's not hard. I've done 80% of the work on my car alone and it's basically been refurbished to factory condition aside from the body.

I also am learning the hard way about German paint jobs; they are soft and scratch really easily so I would skip the black car as well and stick to something lighter like Alpine White or Titanium Silver that hides swirls and imperfections much better. The quality of paint in general isn't great for the Germans as even from the factory they have a higher than usual amount of orange peel. One of Cadillac's greatest strengths is the quality of the paint and how the cars don't scratch so bad.
    orconn, orconn, ben.gators and 1 others like this.

Isn't that funny? Whatever you like, it is actually not good for you! For example, fried food, salt, sugar, or black paint! It looks gorgeous when it is clean, but for sure it is a royal pain to keep it that way. Orconn, your son's BMW is a E46 or E90? Based on what I have been reading, E90's can and will be a money pit. But a high mileage E46 isn't that bad.

I think Ryannel's BMW has more than 150k miles, and he has spent about $2-3k so far to recondition the car himself. This is not bad at all! However, I walked away from the blue 330ci that once I had posted here. It was high mileage, and that scared me.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    I also am learning the hard way about German paint jobs; they are soft and scratch really easily so I would skip the black car as well and stick to something lighter like Alpine White or Titanium Silver that hides swirls and imperfections much better. T
    Something like this:
    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/3658445596.html

My car at this point has 156,280 miles on it and it drives so much better than it did when I bought it last April. It's amazing how a simple suspension refresh can change the entire car. I can also say that even though it has high mileage, the engine is smooth as silk. I think Jeremy Clarkson summed it up best when he was reviewing the E46 and quoted "Imagine bathing in extra virgin olive oil and then slipping between a set of satin sheets with Roger Moore, that's how smooth the engine is." It's really one of the smoothest engines on the planet and I used to be one of those people who scoffed when told how great BMW's are... it's true. The integration of power, handling prowess, supple yet firm ride, elegant looks and interior design is the reason why the E46 was one of the greatest BMW's ever built. I have driven newer E90's and F30's and they don't compare at all, especially the E90 which has an interior that feels a bit cold to me unless you get the dashboard with iDrive.

Here's Clarkson's review on the E46 which he loved, but of course he hated admitting that:

Also, here is a very clean '04 330Ci for $13k which is a bit high, but the mileage is low and the car looks immaculate.

'04 330Ci

EDIT: That '04 is simply gorgeous. The price on that is high was well, but it has the optional Style 71 18" wheels which are very stylish and look good on that car. The white cars are really beautiful and when I originally set out to buy a BMW I wanted the Alpine White and Sand interior. Of course I love my Orient Blue but it simply shows every imperfection and gets dirty quickly. Even a good buffing didn't do this car as well as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post

Also, here is a very clean '04 330Ci for $13k which is a bit high, but the mileage is low and the car looks immaculate.

'04 330Ci

EDIT: That '04 is simply gorgeous. The price on that is high was well, but it has the optional Style 71 18" wheels which are very stylish and look good on that car. The white cars are really beautiful and when I originally set out to buy a BMW I wanted the Alpine White and Sand interior. Of course I love my Orient Blue but it simply shows every imperfection and gets dirty quickly. Even a good buffing didn't do this car as well as it should.
    Funny you posted the link to that blue 330ci! That car is is just a few blocks far from me, and I have had an eye on it. The dealership has this 330ci, a clean M3, an auto GTO, another manual GTO, and a Nissan 350Z. All of his cars are overpriced, but this is a great opportunity to go and test drive these cars side by side to see how they feel compared to each other.

The white BMW is listed this morning for the first time by its original owner. Owners, especially the original owners, normally overestimate their cars' value. But after a while they start to understand the market condition and will adjust heir asking price. By the way, aren't these rims after market?!

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Funny you posted the link to that blue 330ci! That car is is just a few blocks far from me, and I have had an eye on it. The dealership has this 330ci, a clean M3, an auto GTO, another manual GTO, and a Nissan 350Z. All of his cars are overpriced, but this is a great opportunity to go and test drive these cars side by side to see how they feel compared to each other.

The white BMW is listed this morning for the first time by its original owner. Owners, especially the original owners, normally overestimate their cars' value. But after a while they start to understand the market condition and will adjust heir asking price. By the way, aren't these rims after market?!
    Nope those wheels are basically sold through a BMW accessories catalog and are pretty popular over on the E46 forums. The style 68's I linked on that steel blue 330Ci are probably the most popular wheel for the E46 along with the Style 45's my car has. I like both sets of wheels for the cars and they look great. I also didn't realize that car you posted was a one owner, 48k mile car. That might be worth checking out, just make sure he is up to date on maintenance. Rule of thumb with these cars: Maintenance>>>>Mileage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.