Looking for a good "toy" car! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Looking for a good "toy" car! in General Discussion; LS2 feels like a big block, LS6 feels like a high reving small block. I prefer the LS6 in a ...
    Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
    LS2 feels like a big block, LS6 feels like a high reving small block. I prefer the LS6 in a car, the LS2 is great in my truck.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Looking for a good "toy" car!

Quote Originally Posted by 96Fleetwood View Post
    [/COLOR]

Very different Islands, but both excellent.
    Great, happy that you enjoyed it! Yes, each island is very different from the others, and not only that, different parts of an island is very different from each other as well! As in example, on Oahu island, Manoa valley, Diamond head area, North shore, Kaneohe bay area, and Waikiki are so different from each other that it is a little bit hard to believe they are just a few miles far from each other!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    LS2 feels like a big block, LS6 feels like a high reving small block. I prefer the LS6 in a car, the LS2 is great in my truck.
    I see your point; an engine with low end torque vs a high reving engine! And I understand why you and jim prefer a high reving engine on the fun car! I agree with that. But some may prefer and like low end torque. It is a little bit personal preference.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

The LS2 has a broader torque curve. But 395lb/ft ain't no nuttin'. The LS6 is still a torque monster. But it's a better trip...

I have a bored and stoked 350 in my Vette. Looking back, I'd rather have a high revving 350 with a roller cam. A snappy small block rocks.

Trucks need big blocks, the LS2 is a great substitute.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

As much as I like big blocks, they're not as fun to drive as a high revving small block. Nothing like winding out a fun to rev engine! The great thing about the big blocks are they require very little RPM change to accelerate and have instantaneous power, but that's not fun as fun as a zippy, sweet sounding engine with a fun torque curve.

For example, that big 3.8L V6 in my LeSabre makes peak torque at 2000 rpm and has no trouble moving the car, but is not fun to drive, as the power drops . The power curve is boring, the engine is almost silent. The Marauder's engine is fun to rev, good low end torque, but it really wakes up over 3000 rpm and screams to the 6500 rpm redline and growls all the way to a sonorous roar at redline. It's extremely rewarding to drive.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

My SHO's motor was the most fun to rev, evarr. The LS6 reminds me of the Yamahammer but not quite. But, compared to the LS2 and even my LSA, it's a peaky monster!

The LT5 was a screamer, almost nothing like turning 7,000 out of a V8. The Infiniti 4.5 liter went largely ignored, yet stock it turned 6,900 and with a tune 7,400! Those were Two fine high revving V8's that put some beans in your burrito! The 90's put some fun cars in my garage.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ Try turning 7000 rpm on a V-12 back in the sixties!

Any idea on this 330ci? The owner says it has a bad power steering pump. I think all E46 BMWs came with a "less-than-perfect" power steering pump, and at some point they fail. There is a new and better power steering pump in the market, but reservoir and all hoses need to be replaced as well. The mileage is really high, 150k, but it is a fully loaded car. Owner wants 5k, but I think he may let the car go for less than that too.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/cto/3589712401.html

Quote Originally Posted by orconn
    ^^^ Try turning 7000 rpm on a V-12 back in the sixties!
    I've probably had seat time in most everything that had a twelve that was built between 1965-1990. The 60's and 70's are the most rewarding, I love the smell and the sound of carbureted 12's. I can't afford those kind of toys, I have kids!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators
    Any idea on this 330ci? The owner says it has a bad power steering pump. I think all E46 BMWs came with a "less-than-perfect" power steering pump, and at some point they fail. There is a new and better power steering pump in the market, but reservoir and all hoses need to be replaced as well. The mileage is really high, 150k, but it is a fully loaded car. Owner wants 5k, but I think he may let the car go for less than that too.

Seems like a ton of cash considering the miles. But things cost more on a rock in the middle of the Pacific.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post

The E46's came with two power steering pumps: LF-20 and LF-30. The earlier cars had the LF-20 pumps which were notorious for the internal shaft breaking off ceasing any power assist. Later in the production run the LF-30 was introduced to solve that problem, but it also introduced another problem which was more steering boost which made the steering feel lighter. If this car was to have the LF-20, you can replace it pretty cheaply without having to replace the lines. If you want to upgrade to LF-30, you have to purchase the high pressure hose which is quite expensive.

Now there have been cases where people with older cars had the LF-30 and people with the newer cars had LF-20, but the best way to tell is check the number on the pump itself. Mine is an LF-20 and makes some slight groaning noises but nothing out of ordinary for a 155k car. When it's time to replace it I will stick with LF-20 as I prefer the heavy steering of the car. Also, all '01 E46's had more boost within the steering rack and some people didn't like that. BMW did offer a retrofit back to the heavier steering, but that was only available while the car was in warranty. Drive a few to compare as '01 was the only year of the overboosted steering rack.

Otherwise car looks clean and $5k is a good price though the less you offer the better off you are. I'll give you a few areas to check out:

-Subframe, though this isn't nearly as common on the 2/00+ cars as BMW reinforced that part. Still a good idea to have it checked out.
    -Leaks in engine bay. VANOS line, valve cover gasket, filter housing gasket, and power steering lines are very common areas to leak. All three can be fixed relatively cheap, though that can also be another point of negotiation.
    -Suspension. Check for worn control arms and bushings, shocks/struts, etc. I've spent almost $1k to restore my suspension to like new and it's still not done. Control arms can be purchased with the bushing pressed on for $320 shipped and installed within a few hours. Many options for shocks and struts from OEM to coilovers. I have Bilstein Touring and love them.
    -Tires. Ad says new tires which is a good thing. Car has the Style 68 staggered wheel setup so rotation isn't possible.
    -Interior. Check for broken sunroof visor clips which is common. Clips are $60 and installation is an hour or so. Check for water leaks near sills and by A-pillars. Make sure all speakers are work as they are made of cheap material and blow easily. Check the FSU (final stage unit) for operation by adjusting fan speeds in cabin. If it's erratic the FSU is bad. Part is $60 and hour labor.
    -Drivetrain. Automatic transmissions are hit or miss. Most of the early 330's had the ZF transmission which is more expensive to repair than GM unit. If car clunks when going into reverse, diff bushing is bad. I'm tackling this fun project very soon.
    -For the love of god, make sure the cooling system has been done at least a few times by now. If not, your M54 motor will be toast. This includes water pump, hoses, thermostat, expansion tank and possibly the radiator. Parts are about $400 from online vendors and can be easily done in driveway in about 3-4 hours. Top off with blue BMW coolant only.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

^
    Thanks! Exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

You should send him money for that response!

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

With that kind of mileage on a car in the islands, one of its' previous owners must a been a pizza deliveryman or in the business of the sale and delivery of a less legitmate product!

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    With that kind of mileage on a car in the islands, one of its' previous owners must a been a pizza deliveryman or in the business of the sale and delivery of a less legitmate product!
    Hum, in this case, during the negotiation I may ask him to throw in something to sweeten the deal! But kidding aside, this car should be a mainland car, I think!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.