Looking for a good "toy" car! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Looking for a good "toy" car! in General Discussion; If you go with the C5, get a '99 or better with active handling and a performance axle. A nice ...
    Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

Re: Looking for a good "toy" car!

If you go with the C5, get a '99 or better with active handling and a performance axle. A nice one is had at $15,000 all day long.
    C4, go with a later car with an LT1 or an LT4. They're a dime a dozen in So Cal, they're throw away cars and dirt cheap.

Both are a blast to drive.

Destroyer is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '67 Cutlass,'92 Z28, '12 Crosstour, '12 Cube,00 GMC 4500

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Life is too short! So I need to buy a "toy" car!

I have two options:
    1- Buying a nice and clean cash car. I would consider anything less than 5-6k dollars a cash car.
    2- Financing a reasonably priced fun, cool car. My max is 14-15k. I really can not justify more than that for a second car that will be a "toy".

I am leaning towards the cash car because I really don't want to get a loan for a toy car. I am a person with zero debt and don't like to break my rules! However, if I know that by getting a loan and buying a better car, I will be better off at the end, I might consider it as well.

Right now, my cash car options are 8-cylender, 4th gen Camaros, and also E46 BMW coupe.

Camaros are cheaper, and I think they should be even cheaper to maintain as well. They are very reasonably priced around here. There are three different engine options for 4th gen, 8-cylender Camaros: LT1, LT4, and LS1. Any idea, opinion on these engines, and which one is better? In terms of HP, LS1>LT4>LT1. In terms of price, again, LS1>LT4>LT1.

There are two LT1 Camaros around me and tomorrow I am going to test drive them.

My candidates for reasonably priced fun cars that I need to take a loan to buy are GTO, and 1th gen CTS-V.

Any idea, suggestion, or any other interesting fun car that I need to consider? BTW, I am not really into cars like Miata, Acura, Honda, or anything like that!
    Hey Ben. I would suggest any 80's f body car or fox Mustang 5.0. I would also suggest a '93-up fbody car. I had a '94 t-top 6spd Z28 and a '95 vert auto Z28 and loved them both. Incredible bargains to be had on these cars.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

^
    Hi there! Good to see you! Where have you been?

96Fleetwood is offline Auto Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Garnet Red Metallic

I agree, a 4th gen Fbody can be cheap fun. Easy to maintain and they sound great with a good catback.

Porsche 944 is another fun toy, stick with 1985.5 +
    1996 Cadillac Fleetwood "SS"- sold but not forgotten
    1994 Cadillac Fleetwood- the sleeper project
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am Collectors Edition WS6 Conv't- the show car
    2006 Mini Cooper S BRG 6spd- the autox gokart
    2014 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged- wife's daily driver
    2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Hemi Crew 4x4- daily driver/tow vehicle

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but what about an early 90s Toyota MR-2? That's a nice mid engined good handling car there. Got the balance of a Ferrari 308 for the price of a Toyota.

Yea I'm aware, before I possibly get flamed for comparing a yota to a Ferrari, that I'm sure it's not QUITE the same balance. But physics are physics, and the two have nearly identical layouts. Just sayin. Lol

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    1981 DeLorean, or a black 1982 Trans-Am.

Modify accordingly.

Enjoy.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

\
    I know that you used to own a LS1 Camaro, and you owned a Cadillac with LT1 engine too. Performance wise, how do you compare LS1 vs LT1? And Camaro LS1vs LT1?

As for the Trans Am, it is a very nice car, no argue on that. I totally agree, and IMO a Trans Am is classier than a Camaro. But price-wise, as you said, you can buy newer cars with a better performance for the same amount of money. 10-15k for a 12-13 year old car is too much. Heck, add 7k to it and you can buy a brand new muscle car! Yes, I know, it will be a V-6, but still it still counts. Warranty, lower interest rate, peace of mind. I rented a 2013 V-6 Camaro and I drove it over 3,000 miles, from San Francisco to Las Vegas, and then to Los Angeles and finally all the way back to San Francisco. It was a really good car. I used to make fun of V-6 muscle cars, but after renting one, I stopped making fun of them.

The LS1 blows the LT1 out of the water in the Vette and fbody platforms, if we are comparing stock vs stock or if both motors had bolt-ons/light mods(no superchargers, nitrous, cam swap, turbos, etc). The LS1 in the Camaro Z28 was VERY under-rated at 305hp, it was pretty much 335-345hp like the Corvette was making. I really did like the low end torque my 95 Fleetwood had, it would do a one wheel peel all through first gear for several hundred feet. It also had a pretty good top end, that car never felt short of power on the interstate, floor it and it would straight up boogie past any stupid Suburban or other "big" SUV, that 108mph limiter was a freaking joke, that car would easily do 130+

That being said, those Camaros with the LS1 I owned would straight fly, low 13 second quarter miles, I might have cracked 12's with both of them at the strip if I had some sticky drag tires on them. What really impressed me was how damn fast they were from about 80 to 140, both the automatic and manual cars would straight haul ass all the way to their 6,000rpm redline, they had lots of low end torque and straight screamed on the top end, something I can't say about any LT1 I've driven.

Getting back on topic, if you don't want a convertible, and you want a car of somewhat substantive size, an E46 BMW or 1st gen Lexus IS300 is probably your best bet. I will say the Lexus, with the hard to find manual trans, has that same sort of sporty feel and immediate turn in of the E46, but its much cheaper to maintain. I mean it is a direct Japanese rip-off of the BMW, RWD, inline six, almost the same weight/size.
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions! I have pretty much got a good idea of what the interesting cars are out there, cons and pros of them, and have prepared a list. Now it is the matter of time to see when a good example of these cars will show up in the craisglist. The problem here on the island is that there are very few cars for sale. So it may take a while to find the right car for the right price. I will keep this thread updated.

Right now this is the only V1 for sale in state of Hawaii! The only problem is that it is located on another island! I am considering to buy tickets and go and check the car at the end of this month, if it will be still available. Inter-island car shipping is not that expensive.... We will see!

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/cto/3601071344.html

Which Island are you on? We just left Maui last night.

Honolulu, Oahu! How was your trip? Enjoyed it?

[/COLOR]
    Honolulu, Oahu! How was your trip? Enjoyed it?
    It was amazing. We have been to the Big Island twice but this was our first time in Maui.... Very different Islands, but both excellent.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    If that's in good shape, that's a good price on an '04. And the '04 will hold its value as the original V...

LS2 vs LS6 debate always amuses me! I know that the LS2 is used in many cars-- and trucks! So it is not as exclusive as the LS6, if we assume that exclusivity is a good thing. But they shouldn't be very different too! Piecewise, I am not going to pay 18.5k for that V. He was originally asking 20k, now he is down to 18.5k OBO. My best offer will be based on the condition of the car.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Well, I have no love for the truck motorz...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.