Looking for a good "toy" car! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Looking for a good "toy" car! in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Aron9000 I was going to say Mazda Miata. If you're lucky you can find a clean Z28 ...
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000
    I was going to say Mazda Miata. If you're lucky you can find a clean Z28 with the LS1 for 6k. Clean LT1 cars can be had all day for 4-6k, LS1 cars are a bit pricey around where I live. If you want to be obnoxious, take out that loan and buy the cleanest Trans Am WS6 you can find, 10-15k should get you one with 5-30k miles on it with the LS1 that looks immaculate. I know that's GTO $$$$ right there, but you'll find a much cleaner, low mile Trans Am for that type of coin. The big thing is they look a whole hell of a lot more interesting than some boring GTO.
    ^^^agreed on the GTO comment. My buddy had a 01 WS and damn that thing was nice. Fire engine red, black leather, 6 speed. I've always wanted to get one just like that. I think there isn't much sexier than the lines of a WS-6 LS1. Other than those ugly honey comb tail lights, they are one good looking car.

----------

I was only 13 when I saw the first commercial come out for the first of the LS1 WS-6's. But I loved it. A black WS eating it's competition. Literally in that commercial. I forget the caption after that tho.

But really when you look at it from the front, it's really a mean looking car with that ram air hood and the perfect placement of the fog lights straight below those nostrils. Ohh yea. So bad ass!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Looking for a good "toy" car!

I would go Miata or S2000 as Orconn said too. A low, small, two seater is great fun on the twisties!

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03 View Post
    1996 Imapla would be a nice fun car or a Third Gen Camaro with a LS1 swap could be had for under $6K.
    Impala SS is a damn nice car. But it is close to what I drive. A 4-door heavy sedan. I am looking for a fun drivers car.

brandondeleo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A dead Chrysler, a dead Cadillac, and a living Chrysler.

Miata + LS1

Quote Originally Posted by truckinman View Post
    Far as a V1 goes, around here you can't find one worth financing for less than 18k or so. Even an 04. If it's less than that, it's probably got some mechanical issues.
    Based on online listings you are right, and this actually a little bit confuses me. Based on Edmunds True Market Value, a 2005 CTS-V with 60-70k miles should go around 14-15k when you buy it from the owner. But asking prices are very higher than this. I know that there is always a room for negotiation, but asking prices are like 4-5k higher than Edmunds price for private party. Asking prices are even higher than KBB, which is normally the starting point for the negotiation from the seller's side. I do understand that if someone really likes a car, he may want to pay more, but not me. This is going to be a second and fun car and I am not that desperate to pay more. I really don't understand. Are V sellers too optimistic and that is why they ask that much, or that is really the actual market value of the car now?!

Furthermore, the second gen CTS and CTS-V are going to be discontinued by the end of the year and the new CTS should be introduced very soon. As a result, the prices of second gen CTS and V2 will go down, and that will lower the prices of first gen CTS and V1 too. So I really don't want to overpay for a V1 now.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by brandondeleo View Post
    Miata + LS1

Believe it or not a dumb#@$ has done it! A miata with a LS1 engine!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    I was going to say Mazda Miata. If you're lucky you can find a clean Z28 with the LS1 for 6k. Clean LT1 cars can be had all day for 4-6k, LS1 cars are a bit pricey around where I live. If you want to be obnoxious, take out that loan and buy the cleanest Trans Am WS6 you can find, 10-15k should get you one with 5-30k miles on it with the LS1 that looks immaculate. I know that's GTO $$$$ right there, but you'll find a much cleaner, low mile Trans Am for that type of coin. The big thing is they look a whole hell of a lot more interesting than some boring GTO.
    I know that you used to own a LS1 Camaro, and you owned a Cadillac with LT1 engine too. Performance wise, how do you compare LS1 vs LT1? And Camaro LS1vs LT1?

As for the Trans Am, it is a very nice car, no argue on that. I totally agree, and IMO a Trans Am is classier than a Camaro. But price-wise, as you said, you can buy newer cars with a better performance for the same amount of money. 10-15k for a 12-13 year old car is too much. Heck, add 7k to it and you can buy a brand new muscle car! Yes, I know, it will be a V-6, but still it still counts. Warranty, lower interest rate, peace of mind. I rented a 2013 V-6 Camaro and I drove it over 3,000 miles, from San Francisco to Las Vegas, and then to Los Angeles and finally all the way back to San Francisco. It was a really good car. I used to make fun of V-6 muscle cars, but after renting one, I stopped making fun of them.

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Impala SS is a damn nice car. But it is close to what I drive. A 4-door heavy sedan. I am looking for a fun drivers car.
    Not really close when its rear wheel drive and has a 5.7 that can spin tires like hell unlike our Seville's. Maybe a 87 or 04 Monte Carlo SS.... 3800 series two is a great motor and does have mods.

Not really close when its rear wheel drive and has a 5.7 that can spin tires like hell unlike our Seville's. Maybe a 87 or 04 Monte Carlo SS.... 3800 series two is a great motor and does have mods.
    Yes, Impala SS has very good lower end torque and is RWD, but it still is not drivers car for sure. Imapals SS and Seville are both too big and too heavy and way out of balance. I am looking for a fun drivers car that is preferably "tossable" too. I think even Camaro Z28 is not a tossable car too.

As for the Montecarlo, it is FWD. A fun car needs to be RWD. I had a Regal before, it had series II 3800 engine. A great engine for you daily driver, but not very great for a fun car. Almost all GM cars that are based on W platform are great and reliable daily drivers, but none of them are fun to drive. BMW's E46 is a perfect example for what I am really looking.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    What do you do when your out on a date and it starts raining?.
    what has to happen if you and your date get wet and everything is going well ?
    when me and her got wet on the bike we called it foreplay ....

ryannel2003 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

The E46 is the perfect car for you if you're looking for something tossable, yet with room to have friends ride with you (though not a lot). They are pretty reliable cars and can run longer neglected than Seville's do, though a bad water pump can send the engine to the graveyard. Basically you keep the cooling system maintained every 75k miles, keep fluids in check and do a overhaul of the suspension and I can guarantee you'll have more fun than you ever thought possible.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Based on online listings you are right, and this actually a little bit confuses me. Based on Edmunds True Market Value, a 2005 CTS-V with 60-70k miles should go around 14-15k when you buy it from the owner. But asking prices are very higher than this. I know that there is always a room for negotiation, but asking prices are like 4-5k higher than Edmunds price for private party. Asking prices are even higher than KBB, which is normally the starting point for the negotiation from the seller's side. I do understand that if someone really likes a car, he may want to pay more, but not me. This is going to be a second and fun car and I am not that desperate to pay more. I really don't understand. Are V sellers too optimistic and that is why they ask that much, or that is really the actual market value of the car now?!

Furthermore, the second gen CTS and CTS-V are going to be discontinued by the end of the year and the new CTS should be introduced very soon. As a result, the prices of second gen CTS and V2 will go down, and that will lower the prices of first gen CTS and V1 too. So I really don't want to overpay for a V1 now.

----------

Believe it or not a dumb#@$ has done it! A miata with a LS1 engine!

----------

I know that you used to own a LS1 Camaro, and you owned a Cadillac with LT1 engine too. Performance wise, how do you compare LS1 vs LT1? And Camaro LS1vs LT1?

As for the Trans Am, it is a very nice car, no argue on that. I totally agree, and IMO a Trans Am is classier than a Camaro. But price-wise, as you said, you can buy newer cars with a better performance for the same amount of money. 10-15k for a 12-13 year old car is too much. Heck, add 7k to it and you can buy a brand new muscle car! Yes, I know, it will be a V-6, but still it still counts. Warranty, lower interest rate, peace of mind. I rented a 2013 V-6 Camaro and I drove it over 3,000 miles, from San Francisco to Las Vegas, and then to Los Angeles and finally all the way back to San Francisco. It was a really good car. I used to make fun of V-6 muscle cars, but after renting one, I stopped making fun of them.
    There will be no CTS-V for 2014 while the CTS is in its 1st year. Prices on used Vs will go up, or severely slow down in depreciation...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    The E46 is the perfect car for you if you're looking for something tossable, yet with room to have friends ride with you (though not a lot). They are pretty reliable cars and can run longer neglected than Seville's do, though a bad water pump can send the engine to the graveyard. Basically you keep the cooling system maintained every 75k miles, keep fluids in check and do a overhaul of the suspension and I can guarantee you'll have more fun than you ever thought possible.
    Ryan stop turning Cadillac people to BMW's lol
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    To be honest if I lived on Oahu I'd find a different hobby! A "quick" car on a small island that hyas heavy traffic seems to me a total waste of time. Take up sailing or deep sea fishing or some thing that involves the strengths that the Islandshavee to offer.
    My thoughts exactly. If I lived there I'd have to buy a bigger sailboat and stay on the water as much as possible !
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Ryan stop turning Cadillac people to BMW's lol
    Do not get in the middle of the epic battle to change this forum to another make!

Ryan....BMW

truckinman and me.....Jeep Wrangler

.....may the battle begin!

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

When it comes to cars for Oahu I can think of nothing more boring than a CTS-V or some tatted out old "big engined" pony car! If you really can't stand having a Japanese Miata or Honda 2000S (my choice hands down) they see if you can find some nice "open" Bimmer (you don't need one of the bigger engined jobbies for Honolulu traffic and rads of the rest of the island). If those don't appeal then a Jeep would have to suffice!

As far as "cheap" automotive toys on Oahu, I remember that cars deteriorated pretty fast in the islands. Not only did the son brittle everything up, but that red soil seemed to eat the metal pretty fast to. That along with expense and lack of income of your usual local I would doubt that most used cars have been very well cared for ..... particularly a third or fourth hand "muscle" car! Let's face Hawaii is really not a very car friendly place. Sorry to be discouraging, but that's how I see it.

Saturn Sky?
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.