I'm Thinking about buying a 3/4 ton 1989 suburban - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, I'm Thinking about buying a 3/4 ton 1989 suburban in General Discussion; I like having a fuel efficent car for daily driving. It's saving money, simple as that, especially when I only ...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: I'm Thinking about buying a 3/4 ton 1989 suburban

I like having a fuel efficent car for daily driving. It's saving money, simple as that, especially when I only paid $1100 for it.

Now, the toy car for the enthusiast in me does not need to be fuel efficent, but it still averages 18-19 around town.

When I worked at Southview Chevrolet from 2006-08, we took in a '95 Sierra K2500 with the 454 on trade and I took it home one nght. Holy God for torque! 385lb ft at like 2500 rpm.... It made short work of the rear tires and felt like it could change the rotation of the earth at will.

I love those old TBI GM V8's....from the way the starter sounds, to the immense low end torque, the extreme simplicity and reliability and the unique exhaust sound. Those old TBI's aren't as powerful as the later Vortec's, but they're cooler to me.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

my sister had a new one. light blue metallic with silver. man was it big. If I recall it the the old style computer in where you could take a paper clip and hot wire term 1 and term 2 or A,B, together. It makes the check engine light blink out the codes. Cant remember if they stored codes. I think the TBI is great to have minus the direct injection its almost bulletproof as well as the tranny. With all the room you might get a compression check. Then of course the coolant will clue you on how well it was maintained. good luck! looks real nice.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    If you're referring to me I can assure you your assumption is false, buddy.
    Not unless you've bought a Prius lately and forgot to tell me.

Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by 02603sec View Post
    my sister had a new one. light blue metallic with silver. man was it big. If I recall it the the old style computer in where you could take a paper clip and hot wire term 1 and term 2 or A,B, together. It makes the check engine light blink out the codes. Cant remember if they stored codes. I think the TBI is great to have minus the direct injection its almost bulletproof as well as the tranny. With all the room you might get a compression check. Then of course the coolant will clue you on how well it was maintained. good luck! looks real nice.
    Yeah the computer stores trouble codes just like any modern computer. In the service manual for my 91 Caddy(350 TBI) it actually had a couple of pages on how to read codes without a scanner, it even told you to use a bent paper clip and insert it into two different pins on the diagnostic port. I think its crap that you have to have a scan tool on newer OBDII cars to read the codes, they should all be like late model Cadillacs where you can enter diagonstic mode by pushing a button on the dash.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    I know it smells great to you, but get you head out of your @$$.
    Don't think you're understanding what I was meaning to illustrate. Regardless, maybe I am just unable to put myself on your level. While you probably enjoy your four-banger, I couldn't imagine achieving any more "Economy" than I get out of my 7.5 Tripower V8. If you own something different, purely for the purpose of owning something more fuel efficient, I truly feel bad for you. On the flip side though, it must be nice to have enough free time and money to worry about MPG.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    Not unless you've bought a Prius lately and forgot to tell me.
    I still have my DeVille. You may be loaded and can afford to ignore MPG, and that's fine and dandy,

but the last time I checked, an automobile enthusiast enjoys DRIVING their automobile. Better fuel economy allows for more driving.

Sure, you can get from A to B on one gallon (me) or thirty (you). The difference is you can go from A to B. I can go to C, D, E, F, G, and H, and have money to eat, get some goodies for my car, and maybe even a souvenir.

Orconn is right. You don't buy a truck body SUV for the mileage, you buy it for the capbility. I was acknowledging the fact that they don't get good gas mileage.

Buying a vehicle solely for MPG is stupid. I agree with you there. You get a crap econobox.

However, MPG is certainly not a bad thing. Like I said, you may be able to pay for 7 miles to the gallon, and that's fine and dandy. Your money, not mine. I didn't buy my DeVille because of the fuel economy, but I certainly enjoy the fact that she gets good mileage. I love my car, therefore, I love driving my car. Better mileage means more driving.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    You may be loaded and can afford to ignore MPG, and that's fine and dandy.
    I'm actually an orphan from a poor family line with bad taste in cars.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I'm actually an orphan from a poor family line with bad taste in cars.

How's the 'Burban HazardJohn?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

Don't think you're understanding what I was meaning to illustrate. Regardless, maybe I am just unable to put myself on your level. While you probably enjoy your four-banger, I couldn't imagine achieving any more "Economy" than I get out of my 7.5 Tripower V8. If you own something different, purely for the purpose of owning something more fuel efficient, I truly feel bad for you. On the flip side though, it must be nice to have enough free time and money to worry about MPG.
    Don't beat yourself up over it, bro. You might make it up there someday. But yeah, time and money are plenty enough - no uncompleted projects to speak of, my cars are all in one piece, we'll maintained, not burned or charred, and driven frequently with pride. Doesn't sound like much, but just those things alone are difficult for some people to achieve. I feel bad for them.

That too. Couldn't imagine having an unfinished project or lack of proper maintenance. I'd probably die of OCD if I did.

I don't need to make it up anywhere. I have more cars than I'll ever need and enough houses to park them at. I make money faster than I can spend it and can't think of a thing to complain about.

The only change I would make to my collection is to park my Mum's Cadillac beside my own, after these ten years apart from it. And I'm working on that as you read this.

Never forget your roots.

It's nice to have a flatbed or two lying around.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I love owning more than one car. Maybe this year I'll make it three!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Tell us, Chad, why do you love owning more than one car.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Because some equate that to success.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

You gotta be kidding me!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Because some equate that to success.
    I consider that ill-advised. I own six cars, a truck and a bike and that hardly screams success to me.

I always figured the successful need not own many cars and personally, if I were a billionaire, I definitely wouldn't drive ever again. I am already considering hiring one of my girls as a chauffeur someday and if I had THAT much money, I'd buy one nice car and have someone else drive me around in it.

I think Chad enjoys owning two cars, because it allows him to preserve the Marauder, but still care for the Buick. The cool thing about owning multiple cars is that even if one car requires maintenance, you have another to fall back on.

Not really sure what Drew is on about. Most people don't "Char" their cars (Unless I am missing it and it's slang for something. You must excuse my dreadful English at times ) and I think MOST people properly maintain their cars. Also, not sure what a half-finished car is. Maybe a car with no interior, but new paint on the outside? I had one of those once. I loved it that way, honestly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.