Are you freakin kidding me??!?!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Are you freakin kidding me??!?! in General Discussion; Was in the semi, driving down the interstate, and low and behold I hit ANOTHER coyote! I figured, I'm in ...
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6

Are you freakin kidding me??!?!

Was in the semi, driving down the interstate, and low and behold I hit ANOTHER coyote! I figured, I'm in the semi this time. What damage could have really been done. Pulled over, and find my front bumper to be destroyed. Really Kenworth?? You let a 70 pound mutt get the better of you?? It's been less than two months since it's brother rendered our Saturn nearly totaled....2 MONTHS!! I've never hit anything in my life b4 the coyote 2 months ago, and now I just hit my second. I even heard the thing yelp as it was thrown off to the side, and I can't say it didn't please me a little bit. I'm tired of these things costing me money bc of there stupidity!

Yea I'm a little upset if you can't tell..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Are you freakin kidding me??!?!

Huh, how much ground clearance does your truck have?

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators
    Huh, how much ground clearance does your truck have?
    I'd say a 1.5-2 feet for the bumper

----------

Even tho it's a semi, the bumpers have to be no higher than any other car or SUV from the factory

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Back in the late 50s I was driving the AlCan Highway when I hit a coyote near Whitehorse, YT. and killed it. I threw it in the back of my pickup, took it over the border on into Fairbanks, went over to the U S Fish and Wildlife Service, and collected a $35 bounty. I guess a Chevy pickup has a tougher bumper than a Kenworth.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski
    Back in the late 50s I was driving the AlCan Highway when I hit a coyote near Whitehorse, YT. and killed it. I threw it in the back of my pickup, took it over the border on into Fairbanks, went over to the U S Fish and Wildlife Service, and collected a $35 bounty. I guess a Chevy pickup has a tougher bumper than a Kenworth.
    Everything from the 50s had a tougher bumper than my KW. Lol. I'm just sorely disappointed in the integrity of this semi if a coyote could pretty much destroy the front bumper. I mean it's still good for the most part, but if it gets fixed they will have to but a whole new bumper to fix it.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Ow. What year is your Kenworth again?

The reason I ask is because I am curious of which bumper style it had. As with my own truck and all motor vehicles in general, I don't trust anything without a large metal bumper.

Never hit a Coyote myself (knocked a Corgi into oblivion once with a Jeep), but I know the damage an animal that small can actually have on the right vehicle if it hits it just right.

The running joke amongst people I know about my truck or semis of any make from that generation in general is that the bumpers actually look like they were designed specifically to kill animals. Never hit anything with mine, but given the shape of the bumper it had on it when it arrived in FL in my hands, I feel the previous owner may have taken out a few cattle for fun once or twice.

The front bumper on later model Kenworths, like most big trucks, is for aerodynamics rather than shunting animals and people to the side. They are trying to keep the air out from under the rig like a racecar with a front airdam. Most I see are aluminum for weight saving as well. If you think hitting a coyote does damage you should see what happens when you hit a moose. You'll be extremely lucky to be able to drive away from the collision.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

What damage could have really been done. Pulled over, and find my front bumper to be destroyed. Really Kenworth??
    WOW! Never would have guessed that a coyote would even dent a Kenworth bumper. I guess they don't make anything like they used to.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I agree with Koz. It's all about fuel savings any more. I don't even know why they call them "bumpers". Most new cars don't even have anything remotely resembling a bumper, it's just an impact area. Vehicles are disposable now.
    bigm57ict and bigm57ict like this.

There is a pretty good aftermarket here for reinforced pipe front bumpers for big trucks.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    I agree with Koz. It's all about fuel savings any more. I don't even know why they call them "bumpers". Most new cars don't even have anything remotely resembling a bumper, it's just an impact area. Vehicles are disposable now.
    Passenger cars have always been disposable. Back in the fifties and sixties if a car was damaged after it was two or three years old it wasn't fixed because depreciation had reduced its' value so low that most didn't think the damage was worth fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    The front bumper on later model Kenworths, like most big trucks, is for aerodynamics rather than shunting animals and people to the side. They are trying to keep the air out from under the rig like a racecar with a front airdam. Most I see are aluminum for weight saving as well. If you think hitting a coyote does damage you should see what happens when you hit a moose. You'll be extremely lucky to be able to drive away from the collision.
    Oh I know why they changed the design. Same with most modernized vehicles. Also, trust me, I've seen what that looks like. It's a true shame to imagine a coyote got the truck even so. Especially since this just happened to him a few weeks back.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    There is a pretty good aftermarket here for reinforced pipe front bumpers for big trucks.
    Or we can all just get older trucks like me.

Better yet, let's weld on some cow catchers. And use them on Ricers.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

A "Ricer Reducer" sounds good!

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Passenger cars have always been disposable. Back in the fifties and sixties if a car was damaged after it was two or three years old it wasn't fixed because depreciation had reduced its' value so low that most didn't think the damage was worth fixing.
    I don't follow that reasoning. Older cars were built like tanks. What will damage a car today would barely scratch a fifties car. Repair is always a serious consideration based on the price of replacement these days. It's just too bad that accidents are so catastrophic with these plastic cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.