Axe's 300 Gripper chopper build
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Axe's 300 Gripper chopper build in General Discussion; Hey everyone, Since I can't get the cts until i get the publicist costs out of the way this fall ...
    cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

Axe's 300 Gripper chopper build

Hey everyone,

Since I can't get the cts until i get the publicist costs out of the way this fall (and assuming the company doesn't add my dept to the 300 it whacked yesterday), been a couple years since I moved from my shop in FL, but been too long and decided it was time to get building, at least once more, and this time for me. You can follow the build on https://twitter.com/axeychrome in case you use that too.

I know this is a car site, so not sure if there's any interest in seeing a chopper built or not. i personally like sport bikes, cars, and choppers, but not everyone does. If you like what you see, post and let me know, if not, that's fine too.

It doesn't have steroids, me yelling back and forth with my dad, or drama. Just me building a chopper, and here's episode 1, enjoy!

Jesda, Jesda, The-Dullahan and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Re: Axe's 300 Gripper chopper build

Sounds like it will be an interesting topic. I can hardly wait to see it progress.

Interestingly, I am not too big on bikes in particular, but I have always liked customs of any kind, no matter how many wheels. I have a bike myself and it has come a decent way in my three years of ownership, but it was already a custom when I got it, so some of my work was already done. Likewise, some custom work was done that made extra work for me, because I had wanted to go in a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    Sounds like it will be an interesting topic. I can hardly wait to see it progress.

Interestingly, I am not too big on bikes in particular, but I have always liked customs of any kind, no matter how many wheels. I have a bike myself and it has come a decent way in my three years of ownership, but it was already a custom when I got it, so some of my work was already done. Likewise, some custom work was done that made extra work for me, because I had wanted to go in a different direction.
    Nothing like that first headlight blinking it's eyes from sleep or that first growl from an engine of a new project. buying something already custom is great if it was done basically how you wanted, but a pain if not. then better to just go close to stock. i much prefer to just build from the ground up so i can make it just like i want. Then only problem is enough time, $, and being able to decide on what you want. Been trying to figure out exactly how i want to do the paint forever on this, think, i'm finally getting close.
    Kev and Kev like this.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I like bikes!!! My FXSTS.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe View Post
    Nothing like that first headlight blinking it's eyes from sleep or that first growl from an engine of a new project. buying something already custom is great if it was done basically how you wanted, but a pain if not. then better to just go close to stock. i much prefer to just build from the ground up so i can make it just like i want. Then only problem is enough time, $, and being able to decide on what you want. Been trying to figure out exactly how i want to do the paint forever on this, think, i'm finally getting close.
    It was cost effective, since the bike was essentially handed to me, as the PO owed me a great sum of money and I accepted it as a partial payment. It did not run when I received it. Naturally, that was the first problem I tackled. As for undoing his customizations, I found stock parts to replace the ones I wanted through Craigslist and did the rest to my own creative needs as I went. It also came with a spare engine, because when he was younger and regularly used it, he had swapped the engine when he encountered problems with his first one. He then rebuilt the first engine and kept it as a spare. Neither was suitable or roadworthy when I received the project.

My '67 GTO, was enough "from the ground up" project for me at the time, so as far as the bike goes, it was in some ways nice to have a project that was at least capable of driving once I fixed the engine. The first startup is always a nice feeling. Right as I was doing the bike, I had to completely redo the engine in my Pontiac in late 2010, just before Thanksgiving, because I sold the engine it came with, which was locked up and sat out of the car in my garage for two months and was able to buy a more desirable engine for the money I was given. The first time I started it the car up after the engine and transmission were in as well as the bike's first start up, sent shivers through my very soul. Each time, I was so happy and excited I don't really recall the joyride that came after each one. I imagine once that new engine is mounted into my Cadillac, a similar event may happen. If you guys don't hear for me for a while thereafter just remember that like last time, I will be back eventually.

Best of luck with your project Axe, it is nice to meet another authentic bike enthusiast here instead of some random hipster-scooter-bike owner. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHolland View Post
    I like bikes!!! My FXSTS.
    very cool! the seat might sit a little higher that way, but gives it a great look!
    It was cost effective, since the bike was essentially handed to me, as the PO owed me a great sum of money and I accepted it as a partial payment. It did not run when I received it. Naturally, that was the first problem I tackled. As for undoing his customizations, I found stock parts to replace the ones I wanted through Craigslist and did the rest to my own creative needs as I went. It also came with a spare engine, because when he was younger and regularly used it, he had swapped the engine when he encountered problems with his first one. He then rebuilt the first engine and kept it as a spare. Neither was suitable or roadworthy when I received the project.

My '67 GTO, was enough "from the ground up" project for me at the time, so as far as the bike goes, it was in some ways nice to have a project that was at least capable of driving once I fixed the engine. The first startup is always a nice feeling. Right as I was doing the bike, I had to completely redo the engine in my Pontiac in late 2010, just before Thanksgiving, because I sold the engine it came with, which was locked up and sat out of the car in my garage for two months and was able to buy a more desirable engine for the money I was given. The first time I started it the car up after the engine and transmission were in as well as the bike's first start up, sent shivers through my very soul. Each time, I was so happy and excited I don't really recall the joyride that came after each one. I imagine once that new engine is mounted into my Cadillac, a similar event may happen. If you guys don't hear for me for a while thereafter just remember that like last time, I will be back eventually.

Best of luck with your project Axe, it is nice to meet another authentic bike enthusiast here instead of some random hipster-scooter-bike owner. I look forward to seeing your progress.
    a ground up car is a whole lot different than a ground up bike. the guy i bought my '04 gto from had an old 69 400 auto gto he'd dumped about $10k into the driveline, and asked me for a quote to paint it. told him he couldn't afford it. i know how long it takes to paint a bike, and a car is a helluva lot more area/joints, etc.

here's the bikes from when i was doing it full time. Hope you don't mind the bikini models scattered throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe View Post
    a ground up car is a whole lot different than a ground up bike.
    Precisely why it overshadowed my bike.

always thought it'be fun to do an old muscle car build, even an old truck after seeing expendables. wish dad would've let me buy my cousin's '73 charger with the 440 in it when i was 16, would've been a good project car.

however, after bouncing off two airbags over the years, i'd have a hard time driving a vehicle w/o airbags. however, somehow driving motorcycles with no helmet is acceptable to me. go figure...
    Kev, Kev, The-Dullahan and 1 others like this.

ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs

I'm a bike fan too. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Here's the next episode. that 300 rr tire was a MF to mount!!

Here's a pic of the frame with wheels in place and the performance machine foot controls in place. mid controls look cool, but just weren't going to work with that low of a seat. too much bend in the knees, so the forward controls will work just fine.

will post pics and vid from latest progress soon. Didn't get much done Saturday as was busy. Kent Motorsports had a ride/event where proceeds went to the float a soldier for wounded warriors. I went out and sold books/shirts with 25% of the proceeds going to the cause as well. Was hot, then i had to share the tent with 4 other people (in pic), but i suffered through it because it was a good cause.
    Attachment 96325

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Looks like selling for charity just got a whole lot more interesting!

American women confuse me so...

American women confuse me so...
    bad thing is by the time you figure out as much as you're going to, you're twice their age.

Here's the newest episode of the build. Installing the HHI fork tubes and rear brake for the split hub, PM forward controls and front brake, RC Components rotors/sprocket. also received moon eyes oil tank, bassani exhaust, S&S carb, and primo belt drive.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.