The Caddy has its very own garage
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, The Caddy has its very own garage in General Discussion; Is been over a month now since the Cadillac has its very own garage. First thing I did was fix ...
    N*Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")

The Caddy has its very own garage

Is been over a month now since the Cadillac has its very own garage.

First thing I did was fix the driveway, then paint it.
    Then I started retooling it. I already did my first (unnecessary) repair, replaced the not so good loocking power steering cooler with a mint unit. Took me a whole half-hour to do it, once was done…now what I do next. Basically I am hoping to have an issue to fix. (I know is/I am weird).
    I did a fuel line swap (to steel) on my friend’s Eldorado and a tune up (finally he passed emissions) and that’s because I ran out of projects on my car. Well there is plenty of lawn to keep me busy but although sometimes involves an engine, is just 1 cyl 198cc, no fun. I guess I would like to build one day a V8 lawnmower.

In anticipation to the complete brake and fuel lines replacement job I am planing this summer I already purchased the fuel line disconnect tool and a 3-ton professional floor jack (I mean is the one a mechanic shop will use). I think I overbought for my needs but I always wanted a big a$$ floor jack. Obviously I have the jack stands to match and next is a creeper. I need to get a good quality brake line flare tool. A friend offered to loan his even without me asking but I want my own.
    I got prepared for the first oil change in my own garage (I have everything I need) but I am still 1000 miles from it…damn can’t wait.

And you can’t call it a garage without good car wash equipment, that would be the mop pail I drove 40 miles to buy it, I always wanted this exact pail (professional grade, very strong built) not the $18.99 Home Depot special.

My vacation for this year will be finishing the garage (drywall + epoxy on the floor). Then I want to find a legal specs STOP sign and hang it right on the bottom wall.
    After that I want a license plate from every state in the epic trip.

Still looking for an at least 20 gal. air compressor, a tool box, full set of tools (air and regular)…oh boy the fun I have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Very nice congrats man :-)

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: The Caddy has its very own garage

Quote Originally Posted by N*Caddy View Post
    Is been over a month now since the Cadillac has its very own garage.

I already did my first (unnecessary) repair, replaced the not so good looking power steering cooler with a mint unit. Took me a whole half-hour to do it, once was done…now what I do next. Basically I am hoping to have an issue to fix. (I know is/I am weird).

I did a fuel line swap (to steel) on my friend’s Eldorado and a tune up and that’s because I ran out of projects on my car.

I already purchased the fuel line disconnect tool and a 3-ton professional floor jack (I mean is the one a mechanic shop will use). I think I overbought for my needs...

A friend offered to loan his even without me asking but I want my own.
    First of all, good on you for the garage! Sounds great, I'm trying to do work in an apt. parking lot!

Second, doing unnecessary work, hoping to find a problem to fix, and working on friend's car's.....have I got a 74 Cadillac for you!
    Hi!....I'm Dave....want to be friends?

Third, not possible to overbuy for your needs. Just can't be done. Period.

Lastly, friends loaning tools is always nice. However, at you age, if funds aren't a problem, always buy.
    Take good care of them, keep them organized, and they will be there for life. I live in an apt. now, but I still have my roller chest in my walk-in closet.
    About half of the tools in there are my dad's from before I was born, or mine from my first car in 1975. They are without question, among my most highly prized belongings. (Also coming in handier than I ever thought they would when I moved them in there!)
    At 53, with a car under warranty, I thought my wrenching days were over. Then that damn Ebay changed all that.

That is why you can never over buy for your needs. You never know what your needs will be.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

You are my new hero. Just sayin'

Excellent job on the garage! It sounds finally worthy of the beauty you plan to house there and work on

No, you can never overbuy. NEVER EVER EVER. You're just especially prepared

Congratulations on the FINE Cadillac, and have fun with your projects (whenever they may come)!

I spent most of this year's vacation working in the garage (in it and on it).
    I frame it, drywall it and paint it. This involved building an attic for storage, my garage will have 0 items along the walls or hanging on the walls, everything is out of side in the attic (or shed - for large items). I also redid all the electrics (new wires, plugs, junction boxes - the works).
    Unfortunately the amount of time from my vacation I allocated to this task (1 week) was not enough - I was just working by myself, so I had to take a couple of days off after, plus about 3-4 weekends (including a long weekend).
    But as is now (other than some of the tools and old junk still along the walls) the walls are done and painted (most will consider the garage complete). Ceiling is white (flat) and the walls are medium gray (semi-glossy).
    I am still planning to put trims for the back door, and the attic access hatch. The hatch is positioned between the garage door rails. The reason for that is when the garage door is opened it covers the access hatch.
    Now the crazy ($$) plan is to run along all the wall corners (including along the bottom) 1’x1’ stainless steel 90* trim made to look like is riveted giving the illusion is what’s holding the walls together (kind of like old fashion bridge construction). I am looking for a cheap supplier for the corner pieces (I need little over 140 feet of it).
    Still with the walls/floor, now the floor is unfinished concrete, I was looking for doing dark marble finish using UCoat It Epoxy with the flake finish and clear coat on top. I am also planing to embed underneath the clear coat a yellow/black line 1 foot away from the edges (in a “////” pattern). That has to be next year as now is too cold for that.
    Back to the electrics…I wanted to tie the exterior lights (the fixtures on each side of the garage door) with the garage door opener timer (you know that light on the garage door opener). Well I didn’t just tied the lights to the relay, I made a light sensor (I designed/made the PCB myself using a couple of NPN transistors, 3 relays and few other components). I modified the garage door mother board to get a signal when the timer is ON, I use this signal to turn on a small relay that powers the light sensor board, the light sensor (LDR) I mouthed in one of the 2 fixtures. I actually bought one of those LED night lights just to get the small plastic lens to cover the hole I drilled for the LDR in the fixture body (is a very small hole and looks like is factory made with the nice lens on.
    There are low voltage wires running underneath the drywall from the garage door opener to the light sensor controller and then from the controller to the LDR outside in the fixture. The light sensor powers directly from 110 AC but I made a transformless power supply to a safer 15V DC level using some ceramic capacitor, a regular diode, a Zener Diode and a resistor. Then all these are the light sensor controllers mounted in a project box and hidden in a junction box in the walls (is masked with the garage light switches. Obviously the controller is override with the manual switch (if needed).
    Man I should really made some pictures…

The result is:
    During the day when is light outside if I open the garage door only the light on the garage door opener itself turns on, the exterior lights are kept OFF by the light sensor board.
    When is dark outside opening the garage door will also turn on the exterior lights and will remain ON until the garage door opener timer expires (~3 min).
    This solves 2 problems, first I don’t turn the exterior lights unnecessarily during the day and 2, when I hit the home link button at night (coming home) to drive the car in the garage, I have lights outside.
    Picture this: you approach the garage door opening with headlamps on, all is fine as you can clearly see where is the car in respect with the door frame. But in the moment the front of the car passes the doorframe pitch-dark outside, you can’t see how far are your mirrors from the doorframe (sure you can wait 10 seconds or so and the eyes will adapt but…you see the inconvenience).

Next electrical project is get a small computer (something like ITX format) and mount it above the garage door opener bracket (man I built a super nice and sturdy bracket – took me a day, I can call it a designer bracket). This will be a web server and I am planing to write a small software (web page or webservice) to override the lights and the garage door switch, also link it with the garage door position sensor (open close) so I can control the door and the lights over the internet.

Yeah I will get some pictures when I get some time, maybe a small movie with how the exterior lights turn on from the Homelink button in the car.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Dud you are a freaking machine!! Congratulations on the new garage! It sounds SWEET!

For your next vacation you need to drive that STS! That's the best wa to create projects, although with your level of maintenace that may take awhile!

Ok I went outside and took some pictures and made a clip.

Here are the switches (I went with stainless steel frame covers and black switches/outlets and for the garage door switches I went with gray):

This is the before picture, see the power wires and the low voltage (controls) cables. The Orange rectangle shows the box where the light sensor controls are placed.

This is the same thing once I installed the drywall (painted and all).

Note the gray switches (for the garage door open/close), as you see are regular Leviton switches. I was unable to find momentary switched in this format (only for doorbell) so I modified the regular switch adding a spring that transforms it into a momentary one. At some point I will add an LED in the switch (just like the regular door switches have).

This is the "designer" garage door opener bracket (I can hang easily 400 pounds on it - TESTED!).
    In there I will place the web server and a car battery charger.

And this is the final result :

Note I am in the car on the driveway in front of the garage. On the top right corner you see the amber light (that is the light on the HomeLink when I press the button). Then you see the garage door opening and in the same time the exterior lights turn on. During the day the same thing happens just the lights stay off.

Oh…I am also looking for a 20 gal air compressor, it will be installed in the attic - lots of work left.

As for driving the STS, next week Jake will take possession of it for a bottom end seal while the tranny will be sent to the tranny shop for a full rebuild.

Next summer I decided: US Epic Journey Part II: Ontario-Michigan-Minnesota-North Dakota-Montana-Idaho-Washington-Oregon-California-Ariziona-Utah-Colorado-New Mexico-Oklahoma-Kansas-Missouri-Arkansas-Tennessee-Kentucky-West Virginia-Ohio-New York-Ontario). That should left me with Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Main and Alaska as the only states left unvisited with the Caddy. I guess the New England states can be done over a long weekend…Alaska…I can’t stand cold weather anyway.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Has anyone gone back in time in CF and read up on N*Caddy's epic 11,000 mile non-stop trip in the STS - counterclockwise around the U.S. border a few years ago ? This is the guy that makes all his LED bulbs and lamp assemblies by hand.

N*,
    Check this out for your car wash buckets made from drywall mud buckets - they work and work well: the sheer amount of grit that drops out of your wash mitts will scare you big time.........

http://www.gritguard.com/

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409
    Has anyone gone back in time in CF and read up on N*Caddy's epic 11,000 mile non-stop trip in the STS - counterclockwise around the U.S. border a few years ago ? This is the guy that makes all his LED bulbs and lamp assemblies by hand.

N*, Check this out for your car wash buckets made from drywall mud buckets - they work and work well: the sheer amount of grit that drops out of your wash mitts will scare you big time.........

I've been wanting to do a trip like that for years.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post

N*,
    Check this out for your car wash buckets made from drywall mud buckets - they work and work well: the sheer amount of grit that drops out of your wash mitts will scare you big time.........

One of the sat morning car shows did a demo of those grit guards washing a fiarly clean car a while back and it was shocking how much was in the bottom of the bucket when they were done.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    If you drive down WA, lemme know where and we can meetup

N* you got mad electronic skills! Really cool.
    My kilt wearing friend at work is about the same. Offered to custom LED my Cadillac tail lights just to learn how, and is designing a plastic melting system to take bottles and shrink rap and turn it into extruded rod to be used for fastening and filling materials.

One question. It has been 20 years since I have been to Toronto, I came several years in a row in the 80's. Is it still as beautiful, clean and relatively crime free as it was? We were amazed to ride the underground and find no vandalism or graffiti! One year we arrived during a huge fair to find no rooms available and slept in a park. Police came by and told us it wasn't allowed but to come back after 11p and we would be fine they stopped checking after that. We were always impressed with what a great and friendly city it was.

Well since last year I got my own 20gal-air compressor, lot more tools (including torque wrench, air tools - like paint gun), I painted once more the garage interior and both the front and rear doors.

On the rear door glass I added some frosting film and made 2 strips on it.

Then I added a hatch to the attic opening

And now I am adding art to the walls:

The Caddy was in most of the state on this wall and the goal is see all (with the possible exception of Hawaii).

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I always wanted a wash bucket set up with a mechanical wringer attached, but never got around to getting one. I was going to offer you a Virginia license plate but I see you already have one.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Nice compressor is that real SnapOn one or one of the Costco super store licensed relabeled ones?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.