1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Like Tree135Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, 1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster in General Discussion; I am sorry to all the members for this marathon post. Now, Lupin... First, thank you for the compliment, but ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster

I am sorry to all the members for this marathon post.

Now, Lupin...
    First, thank you for the compliment, but I am no expert on Corvair values.

Generally, as to buying anyone's restoration project there are general things to keep in mind. The $6000,00 invested sounds nice. However, he could have started with a basket case and that could be why it is such a high amount and still not in beautiful condition. You know what floor board cost, imagine doing both rockers and four fenders. The cost of the NOS parts are high. Does it add any value to your use for the car? Would you be happier with the 4 NOS tail lights than you would with 4 OK looking originals, or 4 from the junkyard? He could have had them plated in gold and he would have 7000.00 in the car, still not worth more to me.
    For someone who wants to put it in judged competition it would be wise to use NOS parts, for someone like me who wants a fun nice looking car to drive not really. If you are in love and sure you want to keep the car the rest of your life it is worth it. Otherwise for a fun driver for a few years, you would be better with a solid original with a couple pieces of a road sign welded in the couple of bad spots.

Specifically by photo things that I would question are...

1st pic...rear bumper loks more than just dusty, looks like it is scraped/scratched and dented. Rust on roof frame rail and bad or missing weatherstrip. Also white spots over right inside tail light and right hand side of licence frame on the raised body line. Most look like reflections, those don't. Wire cable sticking up in top compartment left side looks like something gone wrong with top.

2nd pic...Look at passenger foot well, looks like rust in body to floor joint. Also around floor fresh air vent in kick panel.

3rd pic...Can't fault the body lines, they are beautiful.

4th pic...Again the scuff on reised body line above inside tail light,doubt it is reflecting the same spot from a different angle, also front floor board center looks rusty, how bad?

5th pic...Looks fine down the line.

6th pic..Floor looks better than I expected, would still like to scrape/poke it to be sure. Interior looks stunning as the body work and paint. corner above wing window looks pitted and bad.

7th pic...vent window handle, horn ring, and seat side strips look pitted. Feeling better about floor as we get closer pictures. Horn button and window weatherstrip? Come with new?

8th pic...Both top end of windshield trim look bad as does glove box chrome. Floor again looks better with close up.

9th pic...Nothing to fault here. Beautiful body and paint.

10th pic...That rusty hinge still bugs me. Seems like an odd spot.I have had cars rust out from under me and still looked factory fresh on trunk hinge. Otherwise cant see anything wrong, can't see anything period with undercoat?

11th pic...waste of a pic?

12th pic...This one bothers me and makes me question all the body work. I am admittedly a hack body man and have no talent or training....even I would have treated rust inside the air intake/exhaust holes, sanded smooth the area around them, and not painted the hood spring and rubber bumpers. Sloppy and not fitting of the NOS parts and rest of the great paint work.

13th pic...

14th pic...Just the engine. I cant believe you would be doing all that work and not even wipe it down a little. Is the engine the original? Maybe to sell car he swapped in a turd and kept the one he was going to use?

15th pic...If engine is the original it tells a story of the whole car. looks like parked in a field for a long time before resto.

16th pic...Paint flaking off of the drivers side! Why? Bad prep?

17th pic...Again I would like to see a photo of what he started with. How long and how poorly stored is a car to have the engine look like this? More paint flaws around lip of hood.

18th pic...? Don't know why this is here. The sine on his shoes?

So those are the things I see and the questions I have about them. If I could be assured of positive answers (that I believed) to all these concerns, I would be interested personally at no more than $2500.00 trade. That would be if all the parts I pointed out were included if missing or damaged, or turned out to be good when I thought they were bad. You could easily have another 1000-1500 to get it on the road and right. Looking at the engine condition would make me concerned about all of the running gear. If the underside looks like that engine think brakes, lines, bushings, tie rod ends, etc. etc....

I think you could do better finding a good driver quality one or a completed resto that is old and showing a little wear, or one with a bad engine that they don't want to repair. I am just not comfortable with this one, It just "feels" wrong to me.It is free to look, and you may crawl under it and find it is beautiful under it. If that were the case stretch to 3000 if you like it. Or just keep looking.

Lupin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '79 El Camino, '64 Corvair Monza

Oh Jeez. So much has happened. I will have to upload the photos later. Ray (Stingroo) and I actually wound up driving to North Carolina to check out the red car. It really checked out in person. All the body work was solid and the car looked great. I made a deal on it and arranged for it to be transported. When I got it up on the lift, though. I saw where the good body work stopped. The floor. However, everything else was SUPER solid, fresh work, done by inmates in a North Carolina correctional facility. I have been working with a hostile shop owner that let me use his lift, presumably in exchange for free labour and endless drama. Oh, and the guy who sold me the car lied about pretty much everything on it. I was told I was getting a 110hp 4 speed car. I wound up with a 95hp 3 speed car. I am going to keep the 95hp engine, as they actually develop power a LOT earlier than 110 engines. I sourced a 4 speed trans though.
    77CDV, 77CDV, talismandave and 1 others like this.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Lupin's Corvair saga returns! Looking forward to hearing about your progress with your new restoration candidate.

Glad to hear it is moving along. Can't wait to hear more and see pics.

....sorry about being a pest!

ROO! Why you no tell me!
    Lupin and Lupin like this.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

I uh... forgot.

But we did get to flog a virtually unfloggable Kia Optima that weekend.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Thank's man! I love it. Nadar was a jerk. he could have gone after any rear drive/rear enging car. The only reason the poor Corvair was the victim was the mass production and relative power in the hands of clueless Americans.
    Yeah Nader was a jerk (still is). I loved it when he opposed repairing pot holes on the interstates because they forced drivers to slow down. But the pre-64 Corvair was significantly less safe than most cars (including early 911s) at the limits of cornering grip if the driver lets off the gas or uses the brakes. I know. I road raced a '62 until it ended up in a tree (not from said affliction). The '60-'63 had a swing axle with no articulation at the outer end. So when the rear of the car raised up, the tire took a sever positive camber. The '64 and 2nd gens kept the tires parallel with the road and were much easier to drive at the limits.

I haven't read the rest of this thread. Do you still have the car? It was risky driving one in the days before self serve. An instructor at my high school had one destroyed when a filling station attendant filled the crank case with water. The oil filler is at the very back of the engine and looked much like a radiator cap. At least enough to fool a rookie attendant.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Ralph Nader's organization once sued my mother and Sunkist Growers for using the name "Ralph" for a large purple dinosaur character that was developed by my mother and the company to be used in a nutrition education program. Eventually the lawsuit was dropped (I wonder why?!) and the dinosaur diud his thing for American school children. Later the same dinosaur, under a new name, became a star of children's day time television.

Ralph Nader chose not to attack Volkswagen and their Beetles for the same dangerous handling characteristics because, let's face it, his supporters, both verbally and financially were VW drivers of both the Bug and the Bus. Nader knew enough not to bite the hand that keeps you in business. Going after big bad GM was far more acceptable and fashionable then just as it is today.
    77CDV, 77CDV, ben.gators and 4 others like this.

44 years ago today, the last Corvair rolled off the line! Happy(?) Anniversary!

Lupin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '79 El Camino, '64 Corvair Monza

Awesome factoid! I'm uploading the images now, and will get to writing up the story of what's happened thus far. Dave! Never a pest. That manual you've sent me has been so much help. You've been more of an inspiration, keep on egging me on, man! I've got enough nay-sayers. A cheerleader is always good.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

my little pickup and my tools may have to take a vaction soon

Found this today, thought this would be a good thread for it.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...re/?refer=news

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    I uh... forgot.

But we did get to flog a virtually unfloggable Kia Optima that weekend.
    So THAT was Optima Prime!

greencadillacmatt likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
    From what I read on the subject, records indicate that Nader was approached by lobbyists SPECIFICALLY to attack GM. This was about 1964 when he was approached. Now, the '60-'63 corvair DID have issues with the rear suspension tucking under, but to be honest, you had to be going WAY TOO FAST in a corner for that to happen, but regardless, GM buffed up the suspension in '63 and added a stabilizer bar in '64, so by the time Nader was approached, the problem was gone!
    Actually, the biggest change for '64 was the addition of a joint at the outside of the rear axles, which gave control over camber during wheel travel. The '60-'63s MY rear wheels stayed perpendicular to the axle so as the car leaned, the outside camber decreased (good to a point) and the inside camber increased in direct proportion to the angle of the axle. This kept more rubber on the road (particularly on the inside) and made the transitions more manageable. It also kept the rear lower in corners since the leverage point ended at the outside joint instead of the outside of the wheel. I won a lot of races in my '62 mostly on dirt roads; the paved roads were trickier because the Gs were higher which meant more lean which meant trickier rear handling.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.