1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, 1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster in General Discussion; What about me? I don't drink tang OR eat croissants?!...
    Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: 1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster

What about me? I don't drink tang OR eat croissants?!

Lupin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '79 El Camino, '64 Corvair Monza

Actually the second guy posted in his album a ten minute video specifically for me where he goes over the entire car. Very thorough, but also kinda reveals a few issues I don't think I want to deal with.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

image six and nine worry me on the turbo, but it looks like there is still some good meat there to weld to but who knows till all that is sand blasted away

as far as the emotionally attached bucket ....it WILL be unsafe at any speed

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Hmmm...

....meet up, split gas and driving, 22 hours down, two days there, 22 hours back?
    The Volvo gets 30+ on the highway, sleep on Lupin's floor, cheap long weekend!
    pick me up on your way to florida

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    What about me? I don't drink tang OR eat croissants?!
    stingroo , tang is the drink that went to the moon! who cares about how it tastes , if it is good enough for neil and buzz , its good enough for me ...helps the "back in the 60s" vibe anyway , well play normal greenbaum "spirit in the sky", drink tang, talk nasa , and possibly work on that 'vair.....

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Looks like Alex is your man (dog?) when it comes to advice. A Corgi I presume and well on his way to the title "Esquire."
    Lupin and Lupin like this.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I vote for the first corvair

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
    Haha you guys are awesome. If anyone wanted to come help, I would stop by costco and get you guys all the tang and croissants you could handle! Ample floor space available, but is moderated and patrolled by Alex the dog, who would ensure your safety.

Awww....now I want to come even more! He is a cutie. I wouldn't get any work done with him around.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy View Post

as far as the emotionally attached bucket ....it WILL be unsafe at any speed

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    pick me up on your way to florida
    There we go! A couple of you STL guys could car pool over to Louisville and meet us there. Drop your car in the airport parking and hop in the Volvo.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Cadillac Forums 2013 Florida summer meet: Resurrecting a Corvair.

Alex the dog understands the confusion surrounding her androgynous name and forgives you for mistaking her for a boy dog.

To me, the first car (turbo) looks wicked solid. I asked him the following questions, and am waiting for a reply.

I would be very interested to see the condition of the suspension. Are the bushings and all that usable or will the suspension need complete going through? Are there any rubbers, fuzzies, seals, etc included? Does it have the convertible top? Also what of the brakes are included? Would it be possible to have this chassis rolling for transport purposes? A real list of what noteworthy stuff is included with the car would be awesome, as I would like to tell you what I do and do not need from it. Also, is there a timeframe you want to have a deal done with me by?

Finally, what is most important, my chief concern is to have a car that is structurally sound. Are there any fibreglass panels on this car? Was the bondo used to cover up a welded steel panel or to fill in a rust hole? Is there ANY rust that is serious enough to be flaky or "crunchy," anywhere on the car?
    I need to sell my saab, and I am going to try to sell my el camino before doing this. Basically my two options right now, I am torn between my left and right brain. My left brain is telling me to ditch the corvair thing and buy a 2003+ saab with the GM motor and enjoy great gas milage and swedish reasonability. My right brain is telling me to screw reasonability, re-shell the corvair and drive the poop out of it. Cheaper and more badass.

My sincere apologies to the young lass. (Thank God I at least called her cute.)

I think that sounds good. That one just looked right. For one example the bad one in every shot I saw things that just looked wrong. When he would shoot down the side of it, the raised body line that circles the car looked like it had been mudded to within an inch of it's life. I also paused on some of the scratches and it looked like it many coats of paint. It was so thick it in one spot looked like flaking fill and glaze, and could be. The turbo looked so straight and flat. If it was worked over, it was done by someone with mad skills. If they do body work on that level, they would probably have done it right.

Unless at some point of the tape his monotone narration put me to sleep and I missed a stack of hundreds in the glove box, I wouldn't take that one if he gave it to me and delivered it free. There weren't even parts to pull and sell.

As to the 03 vs the 64. that is an interesting quandary. While modern cars are much more reliable as the age they are prone to electrical gremlins that can be extremely costly. That is already a decade old. (Swedish parts, I have come to believe, are forged of gold bars and painted argent to not look pretentious.) The older ones have a rep that they run forever. But that was before every single function was interconnected with computers. I would personally say the jury is still out on that one. I don't think I will keep mine much past the warranty based on the bill amounts I have seen so far.
    The Corvairs were very reliable in their day, and gave mileage in excess of my Volvo. They are also stone simple. Less stuff, less stuff to go wrong. When it does go wrong you don't need a degree in computer science to repair it yourself. There is a very active community of collectors so parts, I would believe, would be available and reasonable.

Good luck with the decision, see if you can find a Corvair forum or club and bounce it off their experts. We counsel enough like that here. The universe owes you one!
    Lupin and Lupin like this.

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Agree....1st car. I see both of the original bumpers, which rule out front/rear accidents. Red as the original color, and I agree that some of the additional glass/Crome, gives you the chance to pick the best and sell the rest. With some rust evident, there is bodywork...including removal of some bondo repairs, if the rust was not stopped correctly. Would like to see him hang the doors so that the fit could be seen...
    Lupin, Lupin, talismandave and 1 others like this.

The corvair got 28mpg on the highway, and the motor was a breeze to work on and I never had any problems finding parts, and if I blow it up, running motors can be had for $200-300. Spyder motors can be had for under a grand. I think I could have it as a daily driver no problem. However no A/C and four wheel drums are not the best thing for Florida traffic. I'm waiting on the response from the '62 guy. Will keep you all posted.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

There has to be front disk-brake conversion kits for those cars, what with how popular they are. And who needs A/C when you can put the top down?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.