1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, 1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster in General Discussion; I had a 1965 Corvair convertible and a 1964 Spyder hardtop and several parts cars including a station wagon in ...
    CadillacCastle is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Re: 1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster

I had a 1965 Corvair convertible and a 1964 Spyder hardtop and several parts cars including a station wagon in the 1980s. I rebuilt the Spyder motor with all new cylinders pistons, cams clutch brakes and had to order the correct turbo heads. The sheetmetal around the engine was a puzzle to put back. I found it in a field when I was working on a drilling rig. My Corvair was the 150 HP and the next year was a 180HP. My car would get to 120 real fast but the brakes were old weak drum brakes and if you were in a sharp curve the front end was too light for the tires to grip. Corvairs also are danderous because the heater uses heat from the exhaust manifolds. Ir the exhaust manifolds leak the exhaust blows out to the inside heater with carbon monoxide. The heater was the most dangerous thing plus the weak brakes and light front end. Other than that they were neat little cars. The 1964 was the last year of the early body style and the first year of the bigger motor. 145 and 165 motors. Clarks Corvair parts had most of the parts I needed.

Lupin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '79 El Camino, '64 Corvair Monza

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Unfortunately, these kind of mistakes by by ignorant, incompetent body men have been the ruin of many a unibody car. many a Jaguar E-type has been rendered (or should have been rendered) worthless by ignorant car body hackers trying to replace floor panels.

Has the guy offered to pay you for the cost of the car?
    No, and I know for sure that isn't going to happen. He (the guy who was SUPPOSED to be doing the work,) is promising he'll have it straight. The bend isn't very bad, but it's there. He's from Jamaica, where they would do this sort of crap all the time. He actually told me about many a bent Jaguar E-Type that he straightened out in Jamaica, haha. I don't have that much in it to date, so I'm going to see what he has for me when I go back down there. If he hasn't made any progress still, there is another guy who is confident he can do it. "Where there's a weld, there's a way," I always say.
    77CDV, 77CDV, talismandave and 1 others like this.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Are any of these guys going to use a proper jig to make sure it is in correct allignment? I doubt it, theywill probably just try and "eyeball" it and the car will be "crabbing" down the road forever more!

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Are any of these guys going to use a proper jig to make sure it is in correct allignment? I doubt it, theywill probably just try and "eyeball" it and the car will be "crabbing" down the road forever more!
    They both claim to have the correct equipment, hence why I have to go down and inspect. This situation makes me feel sick when I think about it too much, I'm just going to wait until I get down there and see for myself.

I have bad news. After getting the car to my other, (competent) body guy, the consensus is that the car is non-salvagable. There is too much rust and not enough steel to re-weld the entire rockers and floor pan and have a sturdy enough car to be road worthy. I am now faced with the decision of either finding a good solid corvair with no engine from one of the states where cars don't seem to rust, and dropping all my good running gear into it, or dismantling my car and selling the parts. I am in talks with a guy who has a farm with about 20 corvairs, and am seeing what kind of deal we can work out, but I'm not really sure what direction to go in. This whole thing is very saddening, especially because the moron tackwelded my $400 of new steel to the car, I'm going to hope I can cut it back out clean enough to be able to re-use or re-sell those new panels.

What do you guys think? Part it out and walk away? Try to find a new body? Or part it out and find a whole different car?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Having owned 3 of these cars from brand new, with that amount of rust damage, my take is "Part it and walk". Bummer. Corvairs are NOT that much of a resto darling - there has to be a '64 Monza or Spyder out there somewhere - for dirt cheap.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Part it and walk. If you really want one, get one that isn't rusted to sh!t. Won't cost much more and will be alot easier and cheaper to fix up.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Unless you have something really special in the way of modified part to transfer or recently rebuilt stuff, pull what you can sell easily and sell the rest to the farm. They made so many of those there have to be better ones to put time into! Sorry for your loss.

If you are rounding up a group of "like minded enthusiasts" to pay a visit to body guy one for a "motivational/instructional" visit, put me on the list.

Thanks, Dave. I've been searching Arizona craigslist ads, I see quite a few rust free cars for cheap that I think would be better to put my time into. I've actually sent out a couple emails already. I think I'm going to sell what I can from this car and have the rest go to scrap steel. It will be worth the money to have a rust-free car transported from AZ where I can just resurrect the engine down here than spending bajillions trying to fight car cancer. I definitely have corvair fever though. I loved driving around with the top down in that '64 so much. Myself and a couple others have their eyes open looking for rust free, 4 speed, early model convertibles. My only two requirements for the replacement car: 4 speed, convertible. I'll keep you guys up to date. I'm hoping to find one with no rust, but not running so I can get a bargain.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Actually, unless you are totally enamored with the looks of the first generation Corvair, the second generation Corvairs were much better cars. I remember driving a new '66 Corvair convertible back when they were "new" on the dealer floor and to be honest it was the best handling American car I had ever driven up to that point in time. Certainly better tan the European rear engined cars available at the time! Just as the 911/912 was a leap forward for Porsche, the second generation Corvair was a vastly better car than the first generation. In the 1980's a guy I knew had a high performance version of the second generation Corvair Spyder and it was one great car!

I am definitely WAY more into the first gen appearance. But if I find a great deal on a late model, whatever. As long as its four on the floor, and a convertible, I'll go for it. I'm not really into this car for the performance... It's the experience of driving it.

From that standpoint you may even enjoy the old poorer handling car. The newer ones are great looking cars too, but I prefer the original ones. Many more of them made too. More cars more old parts.
    Lupin and Lupin like this.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

All about that Corvair wagon.

Someday... *dreams*

CadillacCastle is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Corvairs will never be worth much. I have owned a few because they were so cheap to buy. They are also very dangerous because of the light front end the understeer of the wheels and if the exhaust manifolds leak the heater will fill the car with carbon monoxide. They are cool little cars but were really dangerous.

All vintage cars are dangerous compared to modern cars to some extent. The Corvair is no exception, nor is it any worse than most vintage cars. Good information to know so you can make sure the heat exchangers are in good condition. After all any car is dangerous if you don't keep them in proper running order. They will never be very valuable because of the large numbers produce, and because of the infamous ending they suffered by smear campaign from a headline seeking writer with a book to sell. After that lots of people held onto them figuring they would be collectible. The flip side of that is they are cheap to buy and maintain.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.