Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1964 Corvair Monza - Operation Crustbuster

27K views 168 replies 23 participants last post by  rodnok01 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, So some of you know that I have been working on something very dangerous. Something unsafe... at any speed. Well, I figured I may as well share my progress with you guys here.

A few months back Stingroo and I were playing Forza motorsport, and an update came out which included the Corvair. I immediately was drawn to the vehicle, and playing with it from the seat of my ultra high-tech prosche simulator box, I fell in love with it. Roo recalls me asking "why do people hate these cars so much?" To which he replied "Ralph Nader." At that point I went offline.

Well, then in real life, literally less than 48 hours later. I showed up with this.

I found it in Merrit Island, just west of Cocoa beach. Rotting away on the side of the road with a bunch of stickers in the window. "1964 CORVAIR MONZA CONVERTIBLE. NEEDS CARBS CLEANED AND GAS TANK DRAINED." I spoke with the chap who owned it, he had told me it wouldn't crank over. I had brought my go-bag with all kinds of test equipment, enough to make any vehicle within reason start. I show up, and I say "I want to test it." He looked at my blankly, and said "well there's no battery." To which I replied, "I brought a jump box, let me see the key." At that point he hands me a small masterlock padlock key. I look up at him, expecting him to laugh at the joke he just made. He didn't. I said 'this is the key?" "Yes that is the only key the car came with." Much to my surprise, I put it in the ignition, attempted to turn it, and miraculously, it wouldn't do a thing! Because it is not a padlock. It is a car. It was heavily rusted in some parts, great in others. Everything was there. All I had to go on when I got the car was a title and a good feeling, so we negotiated, and I put it on a flatbed and took it home.

First thing I did was break into the car and take the locks out, then take them to an antiquities locksmith. To my great pleasure, all the cylinders matched! One key did everything. Over the next few days I found that the gas tank didn't need to be drained at all! God had taken care of that for me, through the miraculous combined efforts of corrosion and gravity! I sprayed starting fluid (I call it 'special juice') into the intake manifolds, after replacing the battery, turned the key, and it sputtered and twitched. This was a good sign. After patching the tank, and rebuilding the cars' two single barrel carburetors, re-did the fuel lines, and cranked the engine over, with a bit of prayer. It started!!!! Then stopped. I found it would stay alive at high RPM's. So I pull the vacuum advance, and it died immediately. Clearly timing was to blame. I re-timed the engine using the "old fashioned" method (left till it pings, then right a bit.) and the car ran like a top!

After that, I went to go take it for a ride. Filled up the brake fluid, let out the clutch, and she carried along fine! Then I... well... hit the brakes. Yeah... After some creative engine braking and swearing and cursing, I got the car back into my driveway. It was pissing brake fluid from all the lines. New brake lines were $200! So I said to myself, "Know what's less than that? A roll of tubing." So I spent my free time the next couple days under the car with a flaring tool and a line bender, and completely re-plumbed it. Bled it, and bam! Brakes. With some more tuning, I had the car going like a scalded cat! I was commuting with the little scamp already, and it was loving every moment of it, and getting 24MPG in the process!

However there are still issues. There is quite a bit of rust on this car. The floor pans are SHOT, and the rockers are on their last legs. This being GM's first unibody car, those are the main structural components of the vehicle, which cause things like the doors being very difficult to close, especially with the convertible top down.

I ordered some new floor panels and other bits, and drove the car over 200 miles to my body guy, who has agreed to take on the body project. (The car was a champ the whole ride, by the way. It did vapor lock after I sat in traffic for a while, though. I was too lazy to insulate fuel lines. Lesson learned.) I am planning on connecting the car's two subframes, making the body much more solid. I expect this to greatly improve handling. As of right now, the car is with my body man, who is doing the welding, patching, and metalwork. This is the latest photo I have of the progress.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank's man! I love it. Nadar was a jerk. he could have gone after any rear drive/rear enging car. The only reason the poor Corvair was the victim was the mass production and relative power in the hands of clueless Americans. If Porsche had sold multiple hundreds of thousands, they would have been his target!
Thanks for the thread and keep us updated. Even people who don't love them like me can still enjoy a good "return from the ashes" story.

#127 ·
Thank's man! I love it. Nadar was a jerk. he could have gone after any rear drive/rear enging car. The only reason the poor Corvair was the victim was the mass production and relative power in the hands of clueless Americans.
Yeah Nader was a jerk (still is). I loved it when he opposed repairing pot holes on the interstates because they forced drivers to slow down. But the pre-64 Corvair was significantly less safe than most cars (including early 911s) at the limits of cornering grip if the driver lets off the gas or uses the brakes. I know. I road raced a '62 until it ended up in a tree (not from said affliction). The '60-'63 had a swing axle with no articulation at the outer end. So when the rear of the car raised up, the tire took a sever positive camber. The '64 and 2nd gens kept the tires parallel with the road and were much easier to drive at the limits.

I haven't read the rest of this thread. Do you still have the car? It was risky driving one in the days before self serve. An instructor at my high school had one destroyed when a filling station attendant filled the crank case with water. The oil filler is at the very back of the engine and looked much like a radiator cap. At least enough to fool a rookie attendant.

#3 ·
Nader also didn't want to offend his Volkswagen driving constituency. Let's face it, it was more lucrative for a counter culture, fame seeking young attorney to take on GM and make a name for himself than to tell the truth and indict the "hippies" favorite transport the VW Bug. To have cited the "bug" for evil handling and other "Unsafe at Any Speed" traits would have brought the rath of counter culture adults and children who rallied around him!

#5 ·
From what I read on the subject, records indicate that Nader was approached by lobbyists SPECIFICALLY to attack GM. This was about 1964 when he was approached. Now, the '60-'63 corvair DID have issues with the rear suspension tucking under, but to be honest, you had to be going WAY TOO FAST in a corner for that to happen, but regardless, GM buffed up the suspension in '63 and added a stabilizer bar in '64, so by the time Nader was approached, the problem was gone! Tests performed by the government after Nader's book killed this charming little guy's lineage, indicated it was just as, if not safer, than the European alternatives. It's a real interesting thing to wonder... The Corvair was SUCH a modular vehicle. Trunk space is INCREDIBLE, better than cars twice the size, incredibly modular (how many other cars share architecture with a convertible, saloon, pickup truck, van, station wagon, and RV?) Very efficient, my four speed manual 'vair, on the 200 miles trot to south Florida, actually got 28 highway MPG, and I haven't even finished tuning it! GM's first electric conversion... a Corvair. Second turbocharged vehicle. It's a hotbed of innovation. Then after it was deemed unsafe, what did they call its replacement? The Nova. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Nova, but you can't help but wonder what things would be like today if we had kept developing this formula back in the 60's and 70's.

#13 ·
Yes, the Corvair did have an issue with its' rear wheels tucking in and loosing traction while making turns. But so did Volkswagen and, at lest, Mercedes of the same time period. All you have to do is lift the rear of a Volkswagen of that era and watch the rear wheels point in at the bottom. The same thing was true if you you jacked up the rear of a "Ponton" series or later Mercedes. The superior "German Engineering" answer to independent rear suspension left a lot to be desired when it came to vehicle control. In the mid sixties the US Army's new Jeeps also came with the "swing axle" independent rear suspension which was responsible for many a wreck during those years, this series Jeep was quickly phased out in th early seventies.

The above facts are why Nader's attacks on GM and the Corvair were just a publicity seeking ploy to make a career for a young lawyer who was too impatient to make a career in "Big Law." The press was also implicit in aiding and abetting this unjust attack. Even though the problem with the swing axle tip in on the first Corvairs had already been remedied (and the VW continued this design for another 5 years) the press in its' usual manner of ignorance and the ever present editorial impulse to put sensationalism over reality on their front pages. They killed what was, in its final iteration, one of the safer and better handling American cars of the period .... and never mentioned that GM, the British and the Italians had found a much better solution to independent rear suspension in the late fifties and certainly by the mid sixties!

#10 ·
I am trying to map out a sound system for the thing. I think I am going to somehow hide a 6" bazooka tube up under the dash. I am not sure if that will be too big, though. I am also going to convert it to a dual pot master cylinder for better brake proportioning. As far as sound goes, I am VERY restricted. I was thinking I may put, up in the of the front corners of the "firewall," some vertically mounted 4x10's (like those in old Saabs) in a bit of MDF. There is also a kit to mount 5" speakers up above the fresh air exhaust of the cabin, but I'm not sure if that would be enough sound for me, with the top down. Right now some PO has mounted patio speakers haphazardly on the firewall, which is charming in its own right.

Here is a pic of the interior of a similar car. If you guys have any ideas, I would love to hear them.

#11 · (Edited)
Does this ever bring back memories - I owned 2 Corvairs - a '61 coupe, ordered with the optional 98 hp 4-speed, white on green vinyl. The second was a '64 Spyder turbo coupe, white on red vinyl. I drove the entire Northeast, summer and dead winter, in both cars with few problems and no handling problems - even at the time most Corvair owners thought Nader was a true jackass. You'll remember that the entire line of incredible air cooled rear-engined Porsches sailed right through the whole mess..............

For history, the Spyder was the machine that coined the "turbo muffler" - now synonymous with a low back pressure "performance" muffler.........but the Spyder had no wastegate and no turbo boost limiter (as such). It used a single barrel side draft carburetor with a bore size to limit inlet air flow at redline rpm, and the single (chrome outlet) muffler was designed with an increasing backpressure curve to limit turbo speed at high rpm. Pass that on to your "performance" friends.

Lupin, Just under the radio pod in my '61 I installed an ammeter and oil pressure gauge - the ammeter was a 30 amp unit wired to a shunt at the alternator (alternators were optional - yours has the stock generator), and the oil pressure was a StewartWarner electric unit wired to a sending unit on the rear clip bulkhead - I used a brazed pipe T and flex hydraulic hose to the oil pressure port so I still had the idiot light sending switch and the gauge pressure sender.

EDIT: There is no gear shift on earth that is any slower and sloppier than that 5-foot long setup. It's like driving a bowl of ice cream with a straw stuck in it. I had forgotten about the real hand emergency brake. Several Corvairs had water poured into the oil fill cap............."Lady, you're low on water" says the non-air cooled pump jockey.

Another edit: it's all coming back..........Keep an eye on the generator and idler pulley mounting bolts - they have a tendency to work loose, and then, no air cooling fan. You might hit JC Whitney or some such for a cooling fan center bearing assembly - cheap, but that belt puts a LOT of side load on the fan. I'm waiting for someone to ask "What's the dipstick in the firewall ?"

Reactions: Lupin
#14 ·
My dad had a 64 he drove for 135,000 miles and traded on a 68 Buick Special wagon. The salesman was mad that my dad wouldn't lie about the mileage being over 100,000, then tried to get him to sign a blank title statement. This was the morning he left to trade it.
View attachment 94083
A nice Corvair, a handsome young lad, but best of all a beautiful Boxer!

#15 ·
Here I thought someone would notice the bulk gas tank leaning against the house.(Right under my bedroom window.) Because dad drove so many miles a year he had a jobber deliver to the house. The boxer was our second one. She was 1 1/2 when we got her from a breeder who raised show dogs. She was the least classic boxer (to breed standard) we had. She was either abused or neglected and was afraid of everything, especially men. Wonderful family dog though. She was the one that adopted the four kittens and behaved like their mother. Canidae Dog Dog breed Cat Carnivore

Damn now I'm jacking Lupins thread, I'm gonna get a :negative:

#17 ·
Actually, Dave I would love your input. Right now we are having a dilemma about what to do with the car, colour wise. We are stuck between these options: black with red interior (as it is now), or white with red interior. Here are some "inspiration" shots.

#19 ·
Anyone who has read my posts will drop over when I say this...I like the black. I am a huge lover of white cars. They are truly my weakness. On that car, I think the black looks best. With the red interior, that black is "The Hotness"! I don't remember if there is any chrome part from 64 or earlier models that would go on it, if there were, I might lean toward my natural instincts and say white. Extra work, extra cost, I would go black.
I also really like the look of the wheels you have if they can be saved. Maybe sandblast if too bad and paint red and black?
Sort of like the old firebird wheels with the red inside the spokes, where the gold was.

#21 ·
Just for the look, I think black on red is killer. But on a more practical standpoint, white on red would be a lot cooler, a big deal on a non-ac car that might be a semi-daily driver in Florida. Plus if you're getting this done on the cheap, white will hide a lot of flaws in the body work, IMO I wouldn't paint it black unless you are paying a good bit and really trust your body man.

#25 ·
Aron brings up a good point. The color might be an issue in the FL sun. I would worry more about the interior color and top color than body on a convertible though. That being said, I like Orconn's Idea about silver. The right shade (little darker, pewter?) with the right amount of metallic and clearcoat and that would be a great look. :confused:
I figure you are going with red interior to save money because your's is salvageable? If so, keep in mind what you would replace it with if and when you have the money/desire/need to.
White? Very cool, and COOL! Then I would go white and red now and you are all set for triple white which would be bangin'!:worship:
Next coolest probably tan? If that would be the choice, white exterior would still work nicely, but I think black would be the hot ticket then!:thumbsup:
....confused enough yet?...I could go on.:bighead:
:rofl:

#26 ·
Well, looking at sales figures, I've decided to go with black/red/black. Using this car (which is going for quite a high price on ebay) as a sort of template.

I don't think you can disagree, this car looks AWESOME. It does take away some of the Corvair's friendly, charming appearance. But looks much sportier and masculine. That's what sells.

#28 ·
Lupin said:
Well, looking at sales figures, I've decided to go with black/red/black. Using this car (which is going for quite a high price on ebay) as a sort of template.

I don't think you can disagree, this car looks AWESOME. It does take away some of the Corvair's friendly, charming appearance. But looks much sportier and masculine. That's what sells.
Did you buy the car to sell or to enjoy? IMO, painting a car a certain color just because of resale is stupid. Its like remodeling your kitchen then moving right away. You should enjoy your car.
Also, I say paint it turquoise. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.