What do you collect?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What do you collect? in General Discussion; Seems like several of us have mentioned collections here on the Forums, Cadillacs, guns, vinyl records, etc. It might be ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

What do you collect?

Seems like several of us have mentioned collections here on the Forums, Cadillacs, guns, vinyl records, etc. It might be interesting to hear about some of our collections.

One of my collections is of film mechanical cameras. I started accumulating camera back in college and have done a bit of film photography over the years. about thirty years ago I noticed I had several cameras, each of which had its' own story. Little by l;little this group became the beginning of my collection.

Most of my cameras are German mechanical cameras. They are true masterpieces of machinist's and camera makers art along with that of the lens makers.

I have a few electronic cameras and digital cameras, but my true love is for the finely made mechanical cameras like the Leicas and the twin lens Rolleiflexs.

At any rate, I am sure there are many interesting collections among our members and I am sure we would all enjoy hearing about them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Re: What do you collect?

This is borderline actual collectibles and just what I have a lot of. Some are more sentimental than others.

Cars
    Pistols (various makes and calibers)
    Shotguns (all Remington 870 pumps, including 3 Wingmasters -- except for one 1100 Sporting automatic)
    Ammo (don't really set out to collect it...just hoard it...yes Janet Napolitano, I've got a lot of ammo)
    Golf clubs (w/special emphasis on Scotty Cameron putters)
    Le Creuset cast iron cookware
    Global and Shun cutlery (I have other brands, but those are what I consider collectible)
    Orvis luggage (I'm an Orvis whore)
    Ray-Ban sunglasses (at least one per car...)
    Waterford crystal (to clarify, it's my late mother's collection -- but I bought them all for her gifts over ~20 years)

Yes, the house is alarmed...and I have a German Shepherd...
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

I used to collect flamingos and Jeff Gordon memorabilia.

Now nothing, really. I have an unimpressive collection of die cast models, and a collection of wagon parts. I still have all the Gordon stuff in boxes, and will occasionally buy a piece if it's interesting.

Also, all things orange. If I need it, and can find it in orange, I will buy it. Shirts, knives, kitchen utensils, bed sheets, folders, binders, my backpack, etc.

I'm weird. Whatever.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Eldorados...

But seriously... I don't really collect anything anymore. When I was a kid I collected baseball cards, but to me it became about what they were worth and before long, I sold my entire collection and bought a Cadillac.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post
    Eldorados...

But seriously... I don't really collect anything anymore. When I was a kid I collected baseball cards, but to me it became about what they were worth and before long, I sold my entire collection and bought a Cadillac.
    My nephew made a major dent in his college tuition by selling his comic book collection!

gary88 is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 E92 BMW 335i

I keep all my old plane tickets/hotel keys/museum tickets/train tickets/etc from when I travel. I still have a Carte Orange in my wallet right now...

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Hahaha sweet you guys!

Don't hate,

but,

I collect Jeff Gordon paraphanellia. 1/64 diecast cars, hats, shirts, and whatever odd JG trinket I come across (which happens to be just about anything). I have a Gordon monster truck, drag racer, lego building sets, cups, etc. The commercials used to say, "How bad have you got it?" I'm addicted for life. I think my Dad is still waiting for me to outgrow NASCAR.

I'm an off and on Hot Wheels collector. Not one of those losers who has to have EACH AND EVERY SINGLE MODEL FROM EACH AND EVERY YEAR. I pick the ones I'd like in my garage, and I go for my favorite models. I think I have 6 Escalades, 6 Silverados, 4 CTS-Vs, 3 69 Chevelle SS models, and a mix of other stuff. I have a few of those weird cars, like the souped up tanker trucks. If I could make Hot Wheels become real (and have the garage to hold them all, it's in my collection). Besides the Caddies and the Chevies, I'll snatch an occasional Ford. I have an 07 Shelby GT500, the new BOSS, and a GT.

I accumulate tools. One of these days I'd like a monster shop garage filled with tools. For the Cadillac, of course. I usually buy a general tool cause I need it for something I'm tinkering with on my car, and then it gets used elsewhere. The only specific tools I've purchased thus far are the oil pressure sender switch socket and the spoke wrench I have.

Call me weird too (that's nothing new), but I also like to collect soda bottle labels, specifically Pepsi and Mountain Dew variants. 4 and only 4 of each kind. I keep thinking I'm going to be able to go on antiques roadshow and they'll be worth thousands. They look cool though, and I may get them glued to posterboard and make a poster like arrangement. I also have those corrogated plastic signs they use for advertisement outiside the big retailers. 2 each of every one I've ever seen made, which is only like ten. Those are way neat, and will make great garage hangers down the road.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Shoes. Lots of shoes. Oh, and purses, too.

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

I collect Spores, molds, and fungus.

1048795-egon_spengler__4.jpg

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24
    Hahaha sweet you guys!

Don't hate,

but,

I collect Jeff Gordon paraphanellia. 1/64 diecast cars, hats, shirts, and whatever odd JG trinket I come across (which happens to be just about anything). I have a Gordon monster truck, drag racer, lego building sets, cups, etc. The commercials used to say, "How bad have you got it?" I'm addicted for life. I think my Dad is still waiting for me to outgrow NASCAR.

I'm an off and on Hot Wheels collector. Not one of those losers who has to have EACH AND EVERY SINGLE MODEL FROM EACH AND EVERY YEAR. I pick the ones I'd like in my garage, and I go for my favorite models. I think I have 6 Escalades, 6 Silverados, 4 CTS-Vs, 3 69 Chevelle SS models, and a mix of other stuff. I have a few of those weird cars, like the souped up tanker trucks. If I could make Hot Wheels become real (and have the garage to hold them all, it's in my collection). Besides the Caddies and the Chevies, I'll snatch an occasional Ford. I have an 07 Shelby GT500, the new BOSS, and a GT.

I accumulate tools. One of these days I'd like a monster shop garage filled with tools. For the Cadillac, of course. I usually buy a general tool cause I need it for something I'm tinkering with on my car, and then it gets used elsewhere. The only specific tools I've purchased thus far are the oil pressure sender switch socket and the spoke wrench I have.

Call me weird too (that's nothing new), but I also like to collect soda bottle labels, specifically Pepsi and Mountain Dew variants. 4 and only 4 of each kind. I keep thinking I'm going to be able to go on antiques roadshow and they'll be worth thousands. They look cool though, and I may get them glued to posterboard and make a poster like arrangement. I also have those corrogated plastic signs they use for advertisement outiside the big retailers. 2 each of every one I've ever seen made, which is only like ten. Those are way neat, and will make great garage hangers down the road.
    You collect hot wheels? What a dork. LOL.
    I collect hot wheels as well (they got me hooked on 1:1 cars). As a kid, I had about 350-400 of them. Now I probably have 2 or 3 times that (I'm guessing. I've never counted. I just know I have alot.) Everything ranging from redlines to blackwalls to some newer stuff (although I mainly like the late 60s to mid 80s stuff.) I'm not one of those guys who has to have one of everything. I collect what I like and nothing more. I also restore old hot wheels cars (a whole lot cheaper and more fun that buying mint originals.) Because of this, I've gotten quite good with the airbrush.
    Aside from hot wheels, I have a collection of license plates, old hub caps, and Amoco stuff (gotta cover the walls with something.) I also am stereo guy. I have a mid 80s sony component system (components slotted just under their ES line, so its really nice) that plays through KLH model 18 speakers. I'm also building a rack system for my den (still have to get a tuner, cd player, and tape deck for it.)

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

I keep collecting wines, but I drink them almost as fast as I collect them.

Firearms. Silver coins.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I collect money. On the occasion I will trade some of said money to increase my collection of cars.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

HazzardJohn is the man.

I would not say I collect cars, I just own one for every day of the week.

Instead, I have an extensive collection of dozens of masks from around the world (At least a few from every continent, excluding Antarctica) and mechanical wall clocks and timepieces. I also have LOTS of Vinyl albums and CD's, having always been very passionate about Music, as well as the other fine arts. I am sure my various skeletons/skulls/horns/pelts/other bones, animal, human or someplace in between count as collections. Some of them are even intricately carved and ornamented and with my upbringing and whatnot taken into account, it is only natural I collect melee weaponry. The difference being my weapons, swords for example, are not the funny little $400 stainless steel film reproductions/ridiculously designed ones on sale at the flea market and even the ones made in our era are completely authentic. Not exactly simple to come by, as there are just under thirty people in the world today who make swords for a living. Fun fact about me that many of you may not have known, I still teach swordplay to this day, with more of my students taking fencing than other varieties of the art. My personal fencing implement is a particularly unique rapier with an abnormally long blade slightly thicker than what is typical, a detailed wire-wrapped handle, leather wrapped separated ricasso to accommodate various handgrip styles, ornamented pommel and a basket which is highly designed, though meant for form over function and I have been told by a Forum member who had visited my house that the utter size of the basket's overall size was entirely inexcusable (Obviously knew nothing about swordplay, besides, I have a condition that makes my appendages all extra long and my hands very large and spindly)

I suppose that is the part of my "collection" most people remember, if not simply the masks, as one cannot enter my house without seeing my great two-floor-high wall of masks. I am also passionate as to the theory, practice and history of such weapons and once had the chance to have some hands-on analysis of The Wallace Collection's various weapons, but constraints did not allow me to do so in person. I had a friend do this and get detailed information on a specific fencing dagger, though and drew up my own design for it, after careful consideration. I then took my design before a friend in the industry who spent a the next twelve months developing the weapon for it's final physical form, then forging it to the new specifications, with alterations including a longer blade and a custom pommel, then sending it to another associate to have a custom etching on the blade. It was a gift for an old friend, albeit it ended up being two weeks late.

That and Wenches. Wenches make up about 90% of my close personal friends.

Kad4Life is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 FE5 Blk/Blk 'Nadine'

Antique Arms; White, and Black ..........
    For way too long .

Kad

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

Little plastic sports figures called "Starting Lineups" made by Kenner/Hasbro between 1988 & 2001. The good ones I've had professionally graded. Pix of some of the highlights:

Complete run of AFA 90 or better MJs:

Attachment 93181

1988 AFA 90 Jerry Rice:

Attachment 93182

1996 "Asian" Magic

Attachment 93183

Best is run of "90" MJs; only one anywhere. Took me 22 years to assemble.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.