What do you collect? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree134Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What do you collect? in General Discussion; I have some of those as Jeff Gordon figures. Cool....
    Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: What do you collect?

I have some of those as Jeff Gordon figures.

Cool.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Automotive brochures. I've got between 2500-3000 of them. The most I ever paid for one was $148 + shipping for a very clean, original 1957 Cadillac deluxe brochure WITH the original salesman's card stapled to the front cover. He hand wrote his name and phone number on it in pen. Off the top of my head, I don't have a favorite brochure, but the 1994-95 Mercedes Benz S-Class brochures are up there. They're 12x12, with thick covers and about 100 beautiful, well laid out informative pages with lots of detailed information and pictures. Otherwise the two ones I have for late model Ferrari are up there as well.... I had to BUY those from the Ferrari dealer in Chicago and they were atleast $45, but they're hard cover, about 100 pages each and with all the gorgeous photos, they have copy in both Italian and English. Very neat.

The "oldest" brochure I have is for the 1932 Duesenberg model line, but since it was a reprint done in the 1960s, it saved me about $450 over the cost of an original brochure ($15 v. $465 or so)
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Quote Originally Posted by mrholland View Post
    I collect money. On the occasion I will trade some of said money to increase my collection of cars.
    And vice versa!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Seems like several of us have mentioned collections here on the Forums, Cadillacs, guns, vinyl records, etc. It might be interesting to hear about some of our collections.

One of my collections is of film mechanical cameras. I started accumulating camera back in college and have done a bit of film photography over the years. about thirty years ago I noticed I had several cameras, each of which had its' own story. Little by l;little this group became the beginning of my collection.

Most of my cameras are German mechanical cameras. They are true masterpieces of machinist's and camera makers art along with that of the lens makers.

I have a few electronic cameras and digital cameras, but my true love is for the finely made mechanical cameras like the Leicas and the twin lens Rolleiflexs.

At any rate, I am sure there are many interesting collections among our members and I am sure we would all enjoy hearing about them.
    My brother is nuts about those old film cameras. Mostly as beautiful works of art to keep around the house, but recently he got an itch for a Rolleiflex, and I guess he wants to find a working one to actually use.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I seem to be collecting a lot of pubic hair under the toilet. I gotta stop scratching and start cleaning...
    Rolex, Rolex, gdwriter and 5 others like this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    I have some of those as Jeff Gordon figures.

Cool.
    You're a Gordon fan?

EDIT:

Damnit Roo! Go back to your old avatar!

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

looooooooool.
    Playdrv4me and Playdrv4me like this.

brandondeleo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A dead Chrysler, a dead Cadillac, and a living Chrysler.

I collect records. Vinyl 33s, of course. And shot glasses.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Many times, when the weather is bad, I'm under the weather, or there is nothing the non internet world can offer me....

I collect dust.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I collect time.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    My brother is nuts about those old film cameras. Mostly as beautiful works of art to keep around the house, but recently he got an itch for a Rolleiflex, and I guess he wants to find a working one to actually use.
    I can certainly understand your brother's desire for nice, functioning, Rolleiflex twin reflex. I have a very nice one and it is one of my favorite cameras. The build quality is without peer and the ease of focusing and composition make it a great camera for portraiture and for all round use. Equipped with the best of lenses available the Rolleiflex is one of the all time great cameras. A lot of people don't realize that until a few years ago these cameras were still available "new." But the cost of producing high quality "mechanical" film camera became so high (about $4500. for a new one last time I saw them) that they are no longer produced. The digital cameras that every one uses today use plastic in their construction and electronics for the controls both of which are very cheap by comparison.

The hobby of camera collecting seems to be growing rapidly. No wonder with so many beautiful pieces of equipment available in the used marketplace ... at a fraction of their original prices!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I had a high school marketing teacher who collected typewriters. She had them hanging on the wall all over her classroom.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I can certainly understand your brother's desire for nice, functioning, Rolleiflex twin reflex. I have a very nice one and it is one of my favorite cameras. The build quality is without peer and the ease of focusing and composition make it a great camera for portraiture and for all round use. Equipped with the best of lenses available the Rolleiflex is one of the all time great cameras. A lot of people don't realize that until a few years ago these cameras were still available "new." But the cost of producing high quality "mechanical" film camera became so high (about $4500. for a new one last time I saw them) that they are no longer produced. The digital cameras that every one uses today use plastic in their construction and electronics for the controls both of which are very cheap by comparison.

The hobby of camera collecting seems to be growing rapidly. No wonder with so many beautiful pieces of equipment available in the used marketplace ... at a fraction of their original prices!
    This growing trend seems to have not been lost on Olympus and Fujifilm. At least those two have recently re-released modern digital versions of their classic film cameras, with VERY similar build quality. Of course, being truly made in Japan and to the standards of the older cameras, they're also not cheap as far as Micro Four-Thirds cameras go (about 1200.00 each).

exterminate is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

i want to start collecting whiskey or wine, but the thought of transporting them when i need to move stops me...

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

It's always good to think ahead!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.