What do you collect? - Page 17
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What do you collect? in General Discussion; Warming up the tubes now to listen to some vinyl on this rainy and cool afternoon. Finally, some much needed ...
    ShapeShifter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS Sport w/Wheel Performance & Sport Appearance Pkgs
    Warming up the tubes now to listen to some vinyl on this rainy and cool afternoon. Finally, some much needed rain and relief from the heat/humidity!
    brandondeleo and brandondeleo like this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: What do you collect?

I collect money during the summer, and the month of December. The rest of the year I collect receipts and bills.

brandondeleo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A dead Chrysler, a dead Cadillac, and a living Chrysler.

New record today!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

That is a great one. I use CD for "drive time"!

MotownPimp is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe Performance Stick

I may have posted this before but have recently "upgraded" the collection. For years I've collected little plastic guys known as Starting Lineups, SLUs, (no longer made). Specialty is MJs. I have the best of the SLUs graded. Below is my collection of AFA 90 or better Jordans. It is a complete run of the 10 MJ slus made. A "90" grade is very difficult to get; maybe 2% of all SLUs graded. Three are even better with "95" grade; "95"s are less than 1/10 of 1%. It has taken over 20 years to pull this set together.

Attachment 95259

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Where do you search out your additions to your collection?

Quote Originally Posted by MotownPimp View Post
    I may have posted this before but have recently "upgraded" the collection. For years I've collected little plastic guys known as Starting Lineups, SLUs, (no longer made). Specialty is MJs. I have the best of the SLUs graded. Below is my collection of AFA 90 or better Jordans. It is a complete run of the 10 MJ slus made. A "90" grade is very difficult to get; maybe 2% of all SLUs graded. Three are even better with "95" grade. It has taken over 20 years to pull this set together.
    Cool. If you posted them I missed them. When were they made? I don't ever seeing them anywhere. (But then I had three daughters.)

The Mj SLUs were made between 1988 and 1993; sold in most toy stores. SLUs continued untill 2001 but could not reach contract agreement with MJ after 93. I bought or traded for 8 of the 10 between 1988 & 1996. Then I sent the MJs off for grading. Two were purchased after grading. I track eBay for upgrades to above. Like looking for needles in haystacks at this point. Recently purchased the AFA 95 1991 "shooting" MJ (Second from left on top) from another collector who wanted to move it. It was an "upgrade" to my "90" grade.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

If anyone is interested, I can post (or email) a larger picture of any of the MJ SLUs.

Here are a couple more AFA "prizes"...these are for Magic Johnson. Both were "error" figures. The airborn one is called "Yellow Magic" from 1992; it was supposed to be a purple Lakers uniform but 1000 or so got out in the yellow. The one dribbling is refered to as the "Asian Magic" from 1996. Magic was scheduled to be in 1996 bkb set but retired at last minute. Per licensing agreements, Magic's piece was pulled from release. However, the Hong Kong office of Hasbro did not get the memo and a few were released in the Asian markets.

Slowly, a few, probably 50-100, filtered into the USA. I was fortunate enough to be able to trade for one. At the time (1998) hobbyists thought I was nuts because I traded several hundred dollars more in value over that of the Magic SLU. I saw it as a one time oppertunity to own a rare figure of a fav player. Best trade I ever made by far.

Attachment 95337

Attachment 95338

Record of the day!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

^^^ Great record - Transfer did a ton of good stuff, and some not so good. I have a Japanese pressing of that album, still sealed, that I scored at a yard sale for $1.50. For anyone that likes retro pop vocals, they are the cat's meow.........

Too bad you're out on the Coast - you would love my M-L Vistas. I just installed a Lyra Kleos MC cartridge - still getting it aligned bit by bit, but OMG !!

Maybe you'll get a nice birthday present next week............... (more good vinyl)

Today I thought I'd put another cartridge on my turntable. Swapping the Ortofon out for the Empire.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

About 25 years ago the cat's meow underground audiophile darling MM cartridge was a Grace F9E. Wonderful in a medium mass arm. Snoop through cartridges in Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor and in Music Direct.

Empire
    has been around forever, and that 1000 cartridge is a sweet sounding piece. Make sure that side-to-side tilt is absolutely level, and if you can adjust arm height, that the cartridge body has the slightest, tiniest amount of tilt up at the connector pin end - not enough tilt that it's apparent: enough so that you can imagine the tilt. You'll hear a tighter, more focused midrange and improved high frequency tracking. Use a cartridge tracking force scale - get the recommended tracking force spot on and don't rely solely on the arm counterweight markings. Anti-skating can be dialed in at cartridge tracking force or a tad greater - Set anti-skating so that, with the record spinning and the stylus in the inner lead-out grooves, when you carefully use the finger lift to pick the headshell straight up there is no "pop" in the speakers.

Clean the arm/headshell contact buttons/pins with a tiny amount of Caig/Cramolin DeOxit on a Q-tip.

Unplug/plug all RCA interconnect pins once a month, clean center pins every 6 months with ^^^ Caig.

So...is that different than putting a penny on top of the arm?

My arm has two different ways to adjust pressure and weight distribution, and I have a balance tool. I tried to use that Empire, but the stylus seems to be riding too high, and the bottom of the cartridge itself is almost touching the record! Adjustment, I've got to do some adjusting... For now I put my Nagaoka prototype cartridge back on there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.