What do you collect? - Page 12
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Like Tree134Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What do you collect? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by The-Dullahan Weapons? Ooh, I have oodles of those. Greatest investment I could make. Sneaking them around in ...
    cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

Re: What do you collect?

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    Weapons? Ooh, I have oodles of those. Greatest investment I could make. Sneaking them around in guitar cases sounds like the shenanigans I would get into, if I could get it to work, but I have never had to and usually do not need to sneak them about. From experience though, in one particular circumstance where weaponry for a small outfit of us was required and we has no idea as to how to get them where we needed them to be, sneaking weapons into someplace works best in the particularly inconspicuous hiding place beneath a lady's dress. Virtually no one would suspect to look there and it was convenient. Alas, my youth...good times with bad company.
    not trying to sneak the guns somewhere they shouldn't be. Not sure they're allowed in the apt (though I'm in TX so have a hard time believing that), so does't raise eyebrows during apt inspections or when the dogwalker has to come by when out of town. just looks like a bunch of guitars in the corner.

good times with bad company making bad decisions is no way to live, but was a lot of fun in college...and a while afterward as well.

brandondeleo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A dead Chrysler, a dead Cadillac, and a living Chrysler.

Just bought another trumpet mouthpiece online. Trumpets/trumpet stuff is my other collecting area. I play a 1957 FE Olds Opera Premiere big bore concert nickel plated horn, and a 1930 Cleveland Superior silver pea shooter.

The-Dullahan is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe View Post
    not trying to sneak the guns somewhere they shouldn't be. Not sure they're allowed in the apt (though I'm in TX so have a hard time believing that), so does't raise eyebrows during apt inspections or when the dogwalker has to come by when out of town. just looks like a bunch of guitars in the corner.

good times with bad company making bad decisions is no way to live, but was a lot of fun in college...and a while afterward as well.
    Oh no. My decisions were definitely good and while "Questionable at best" my company were always good people when it came down to it and I still recognize them as adopted family.

While unlike Brandonn, I have lost my own trumpet, I still have two mouthpieces for it. Plenty of other instruments in the music room, but I have never purchased a second trumpet.

The-Dullahan is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

awesome forum-glitch-double-post

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    While unlike Brandonn, I have lost my own trumpet, I still have two mouthpieces for it. Plenty of other instruments in the music room, but I have never purchased a second trumpet.
    You play? AWESOME. You should tell me What brand/size the mouthpieces are. Might be looking for more...

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    how tiny do the pics have to be in here. Won't post. I have some early 1970's Matchbox "yellow and blue box" cars. Tons of LP albums, most of the Rolling Stones, and a rare Beatles album.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    rare Beatles album.
    Which?

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I have collected 1/18 die cast model cars sin the very 1980's when my 3 year old son gave me a Burago Ferrari Test Rosa. At the same time I began to collect 1/43 Rolls-Royce models which I displayed in a large glass top cocktail; table in our den. The Rolls collection ended up being around 20 cars and was packed up when we moved from California to Virginia and, while I know it is in a box in the garage, I haven't seen it since.

However, the 1/18 collection burgeoned, first with a collection of red sport cars which traces the evolution of sport scar design from the early teens to the late 1990's. Ferrari's, Jaguars, Mercedes, Alfas, Corvettes etc ..... all red! About 25 cars in all, but they tool were packed up when we moved from Great Falls to Richmond. I had also been building an 1/18 collection of Jaguars and now have every mass produced Jag from the XK 120 o the XK8 and various sedans. The collection takes up four shelves (2 1/2 feet wide) and is pretty complete with the exception of 1950's Mark VII to IX sedans. I also have a selection of 7 Lamborghini's of different models from the 350 GT to the latest sedan.

By far the biggest, and most ridiculous collection, which I started right after I bought my new '02 Mercedes CLK. the rational behind this collection was that since Mercedes was the oldest cat maker still in existence their cars would represent the broadest representation of the various trend in auto design from the turn of the last century to the present. There are probably more Mercedes 1/18th models available that of any other make. Pavlovian collecting these models I have ended up with over 100 models which placed end to end now reach the length of ten feet and are three rows deep along the top of one section of bookshelves in my library.

Smaller, but to be honest my favorite, is my collection of American cars showing the different styles of luxury cars made in the United States from the thirties through the late fifties. It starts with a 1932 Cadillac V-16 phaeton and end with ends with a 1962 Lincoln Continental four door convertible. It includes a 1938 V-16 Town Car, '46, '49, '59, 53 Eldorado's (all convertibles), a '56 Contental MkII, a '57 Eldorado Brougham, a couple of Packards from the classic era, and a 1963 Eldorado convertible ( a '37 Cord and a Dusenberg are also included). All these model cars are black in color and I think a pretty good representation of the best American design of the '30s, 40's, 50's and '60s and '70's.

These collections are the result of 30 years accumulation of impulse buying! I would like to think my grandson's would enjoy these collections .... but I don't think their mother would be willing to let them have them! Too bad I guess I will just have to sell them off at some point!

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

When you sell them off, come here first

That's awesome though. Your son got you started, and now it's massive!

It is interesting that now these 1/18 models have gotten expensive. It used to be that list price was $18.00 and they could be had at Toys R Us and Kaybee on sale for $6 or $7. Last time I was in Toys R Us they weren't carrying them anymore and I think Kaybee went out of business. On Ebay they go for $8 to a couple of hundred. But even when they are cheap the S/H gets you.

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

paychecks

preferably one at a time

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

That is really neat Orconn. I started collecting 1/18 scale in the 80's when I was at Menards. We would get 6 or 7 models each year and I bought one of every car and color. When I moved the last time I decided to toss out the original packaging after moving and storing for twentysome years. Put up shelves for them and enjoyed them. One day I looked at them and realized I had no tie or affection for what I had, most were just whatever there was to buy.
    since getting the internet I have been buying cars that have some significance to me and packing up old ones in the box the new one came in. (wish I had save the orig. pkg a few more years, big money) One of these days I will take the time to list them on ebay.
    My latest hobby was taking whatever I could buy and modifying it to look like cars I owned. Only got a couple done before I bought the 1/1 scale Talisman to work on!
    1 18 monte.jpg
    1 18 jeep.jpg

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I miss Tower Records...
    Me too. There was one in Bellevue WA that I used to frequent. A hooters was on the very top level.

Discovered a lot of music there.

cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

kinda forgot about toys. Parents still have my star wars collection at home. 100 figures (yes some duplicates), jabba, rancor, ewok village, original death star and xwing, blue tie fighter, a couple speed bikes, at-at, scout walker, jabba's band.

i'll await the "nerd" ridicule now.

My son still had almost all of his "Star Wars" toys when he and his wife moved into their first house. I told him the time had come for him to "house" his own collections. He moved them over to his place and promply sold most of the collection on Ebay. He said he got really good prices for different pieces. It occurred to me that he might have offered to split some of the profits seeing as his mother and I had stored them all these years and paid to move them from L.A. to Virginia, but somehow this didn't cross his mind!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.